We Donít Need No Stinking Warrant: The Disturbing, Unchecked Rise of the Administrati

We Donít Need No Stinking Warrant: The Disturbing, Unchecked Rise of the Administrati

This is a discussion on We Donít Need No Stinking Warrant: The Disturbing, Unchecked Rise of the Administrati within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; not sure where to put this but I found it interesting and thought it was worth a share But by law, utilities must hand over ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: We Donít Need No Stinking Warrant: The Disturbing, Unchecked Rise of the Administrati

not sure where to put this but I found it interesting and thought it was worth a share

But by law, utilities must hand over customer records ó which include any billing and payment information, phone numbers and power consumption data ó to the DEA without court warrants if drug agents believe the data is ďrelevantĒ to an investigation. So the utility eventually complied, after losing a legal fight earlier this month.

Meet the administrative subpoena (.pdf): With a federal officialís signature, banks, hospitals, bookstores, telecommunications companies and even utilities and internet service providers ó virtually all businesses ó are required to hand over sensitive data on individuals or corporations, as long as a government agent declares the information is relevant to an investigation. Via a wide range of laws, Congress has authorized the government to bypass the Fourth Amendment ó the constitutional guard against unreasonable searches and seizures that requires a probable-cause warrant signed by a judge.

In fact, there are roughly 335 federal statutes on the books (.pdf) passed by Congress giving dozens upon dozens of federal agencies the power of the administrative subpoena, according to interviews and government reports. (.pdf)
    We Don't Need No Stinking Warrant: The Disturbing, Unchecked Rise of the Administrative Subpoena | Threat Level | Wired.com

Senior Moderator
    Yes your phone records (who you called not what you said) is the same way. We are giving more and more power to the Fedearl Government
    ďYou can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.Ē

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I just spoke with the Webster dictionary people. They are removing the word "privacy" from the lexicon.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

The Constitution requires warrants. IANAL, but it seems clear to me that such "admin subpoenas" are an unlawful circumvention. They'd have no power if zero people abided and instead awaited legitimate judicial warrants. Of course, some of the bastids would seek to enforce their opinion at the point of a gun, and probably many would be jailed. But they wouldn't get the info, and at some point the issue would turn to the fascist circumvention of the Constitution. It would just take some time to get the members of Congress to pull the finger out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Just curious, has anyone taken a case to the SCOTUS about this recently?
    paramedic70002 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Wherever you go, and whatever you do, assume it is all on the record, subject to scrutiny.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Wherever you go, and whatever you do, assume it is all on the record, subject to scrutiny.
    Hall and Oates come to mind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anLfoy2XsFw
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

VIP Member
    Nothing new here; brought to you by
    many Congresses with differing
    partisan views. I seem to remember
    challenges with the usual results.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

This is another outgrowth of Reagan's warrantless asset forfeiture policies in the 1980's. How soon we forget.

Old news and settled law.
    That bit in the fourth amend about being secure in your papers is your papers. Not someone else's papers about you except religious, doctor/patient and lawyer/client.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Old news and settled law.
    That bit in the fourth amend about being secure in your papers is your papers. Not someone else's papers about you except religious, doctor/patient and lawyer/client.
    Uh...even someone else's papers belong to someone...ie themselves. If I have "papers" detailing your activities with my business, I own said papers. I AM A CITIZEN OF THIS COUNTRY. I HAVE THE RIGHT TO BE SECURE IN MY PAPERS EVEN IF THOSE PAPERS CONTAIN INFORMATION ABOUT SOMEONE OR SOMETHING ELSE. The contents of said papers matter not.
    paramedic70002 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Yes it is possible for America to get "too big for it's britches." Now who is bring the whip to the woodshed?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Yes it is possible for America to get "too big for it's britches." Now who is bring the whip to the woodshed?
    Well informed and educated voters
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "Death is lighter than a feather, but Duty is heavier than a mountain" Robert Jordan
    USMC veteran
    Glock 19 Gen 4
    Si hoc legere scis, nimis eruditionis habes

But where do we find enough of them?

...and freedom shall come to its end at the sound of thunderous applause.

They are from the Government, they are here to help.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links