could this happen to you / leaving your gun at home?

This is a discussion on could this happen to you / leaving your gun at home? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Came across this; it's "just" another dollar store robbery but with a twist. An off duty reserve cop on the store "without his gun" Even ...

Thread: could this happen to you / leaving your gun at home?

Came across this; it's "just" another dollar store robbery but with a twist. An off duty reserve cop on the store "without his gun"
    Even though itís a year old it sends a message that you can never tell when something is going to happen these days. As for the cop he should be let go for a couple of reasons

He is a Reserve Officer most likely not required to be armed as a regular duty officer would be. What are the reasons do you think he should be "let go"? IMO he did the correct thing, alert another possible victim and notify authorities.

He was off-duty. Unless he signed a contract stating, "I will carry my gun at all times" he's done nothing wrong.

Why do I think, for one he was unarmed? Reserve or not when you are an officer you need you carry; we do. Two) he ditched and left the clerk alone. I am not saying be a hero don't run and save yourself first. Three) WOW what ever happen to a weight limit. it Looks like he spends to much time at Dunk’in Donuts. I just don't see him rushing into a burning building or chasing a BG without a massive heart attack. You can’t do a job if you can’t get out of the squad car

Reserve Officer usually equates to no pay, not compensated for their out of pocket expenses relating to duty and usually someone who has paid for their own BLET out of their own pocket.

Looks like the best choice was made all around.

LE aren't super heroes even though many have records that would lead you to believe that they were.

Those that fill the reserve officer positions are starting down that path in my book. At least they care.

I haven't run across any departments in my area that require ANY officer to be armed 24/7. That's a personal choice of the officers and many choose not to be armed off duty.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by barstoolguru View Post
    Three) WOW what ever happen to a weight limit. it Looks like he spends to much time at Dunk’in Donuts. I just don't see him rushing into a burning building or chasing a BG without a massive heart attack. You can’t do a job if you can’t get out of the squad car
    You're going about this all wrong barstoolguru. This officer clearly is all about exceeding standards, particularly exceeding the weight standard!

I am not cop bashing but if you take on a job then respect it. He doesn't get paid then why do it? There are benefits to the position or no one would want it.

As far as cops not carrying a gun; I am sure it is personal choice. I hear of cops all the time carrying off duty because a cop is basically on duly 24/7 and they don’t hesitate to flex that mussel when off duty either.

I am sure if this guy was pulled over or had a problem he would pull out his badge and be looking for some professional courtesies and perks of being "connected"

Did this guy do the right thing running from trouble; that is a personal option but from what it sounds like I am not the only person that might feel he was wrong

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    The reserve Sheriff deputies I know are all volunteers, unarmed and not trained for actual Police duty. Most of them are Senior Citizens who proably would not do well in a fight. They are auxilliaries whose purpose to assist the Sheriff by performing lesser duties like taking reports, office work, traffic control, etc. They do this out of a sense of civic duty, and for something interesting to do with their days, not for money or to play "Barney Fife". I'd say this guy made a good call. Even if he was a full LEO, I wouldn't second guess his actions.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Sponsored Links