Encounter with a rabid Neighborhood Patrol

This is a discussion on Encounter with a rabid Neighborhood Patrol within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If I was out running and 2 guys pulled up in front of me and jumped out of their car I would probably scream, turn ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Encounter with a rabid Neighborhood Patrol

VIP Member
    If I was out running and 2 guys pulled up in front of me and jumped out of their car I would probably scream, turn around and run faster than I've ever run in my life. Adrenaline will do that. I carry my cell phone with me when I'm out so I'd probably call 911 while I was running.
    Honestly, this would terrify me.
    atctimmy likes this.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

2. Remove Ads

As a general rule, if you're out running, you shouldn't have the music up so loud you can't hear things like people yelling at you. It's an SA kind of thing.

And no, the Neighborhood Watch has no right to detain anyone. They certainly are allowed to question and accost - as does any citizen in any circumstance. "Hey, you - what are you doing?" is permissible.

In this case, most likely what we have is a case of "a person running attracts attention."
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    As a general rule, if you're out running, you shouldn't have the music up so loud you can't hear things like people yelling at you. It's an SA kind of thing.

And no, the Neighborhood Watch has no right to detain anyone. They certainly are allowed to question and accost - as does any citizen in any circumstance. "Hey, you - what are you doing?" is permissible.

In this case, most likely what we have is a case of "a person running attracts attention."
    As a general rule I like t live my life sometimes without worrying about the world around me. And at 10 at night or 5 AM I am not expecting to be asked questions.
    atctimmy likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    Though, one would think a person running in clearly obvious running attire is about as strange as a person doing lawn maintenance riding a lawnmower. (At times like this, I despair the species. The lack of sense and intelligence, not the lawnmowers.)

Two thumbs down, on the goose-stepping "Watchers" who detained the OP, here, no matter how you slice it.
    suntzu, wmhawth and atctimmy like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was going to reference this in the Zimmerman thread but did not want to distract from the topic. For those that had not seen this before here it is:my encounter with a rabid neighborhood watch patrol.

Just wondering how this would have worked out if Z was there. Thought my experience would be and interesting comparisn to Z.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

I have heard it mentioned that the only reason Z followed M was due to "gun courage", so if he wasn't armed then he would have probably not followed. With regard to your situation the neighborhood watch d-bags that tried to stop you might have had something along the same lines that I will call "group courage". Couple the "group courage" with the hyper inflated sense of authority they actually didn't have, we end up with what happened to you. I would say lucky for you that they weren't armed, as it seems they lacked the common sense needed to not draw their guns in an attempt to detain you.

As a follow up have you run into those guys again since that original incident?

Quote Originally Posted by beni View Post
    I have heard it mentioned that the only reason Z followed M was due to "gun courage", so if he wasn't armed then he would have probably not followed. With regard to your situation the neighborhood watch d-bags that tried to stop you might have had something along the same lines that I will call "group courage". Couple the "group courage" with the hyper inflated sense of authority they actually didn't have, we end up with what happened to you. I would say lucky for you that they weren't armed, as it seems they lacked the common sense needed to not draw their guns in an attempt to detain you.

As a follow up have you run into those guys again since that original incident?
    I agree about Z...I beleive that if he didn't have a gun this would not have happened. That does not take away from his guilt or innocence...just character of a man and wisdom.

Yes, I saw the two guys later at a HOA meeting. At the meeting they told folks they need to use common sense and report, not engage with suspicious people. And they said in diplomatic terms that they had their heads up their butt.,

And yes, if it was one of them I doubt he would stopped me. I am not huge, but look very fit (more so than just running).

VIP Member
    Suntzu , Please tell everyone about the flat screen TV you were running with on your shoulders .
    Jeanlouise likes this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    I suspect that if these two guys saw a person with a hoodie and tatoos running along the street they NEVER would have gotten out of the vehicle and tried to detain them.

This is a simple case of an excuse to bully people under the pretense of protecting the neighborhood. Nothing more
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    This is a simple case of an excuse to bully people under the pretense of protecting the neighborhood. Nothing more
    Yes, it is. Hopefully the LEO cleared up their misconceptions about their authority to lay hands upon citizens, detain people, and the simple reality about the full and complete authority of citizens to respond to having hands laid upon them. Sprayed or shot, indeed. They're playing with fire.
    USM1976 and Hodad like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links