Encounter with a rabid Neighborhood Patrol

This is a discussion on Encounter with a rabid Neighborhood Patrol within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I went for my run last night at 10PM. Was wearing running shorts and shirt with reflective tape, hydration belt, and of course had my ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree105Likes

Thread: Encounter with a rabid Neighborhood Patrol

Encounter with a rabid Neighborhood Patrol

I went for my run last night at 10PM. Was wearing running shorts and shirt with reflective tape, hydration belt, and of course had my earphones in. There is only one description that would be applicable : runner. Around mile 8 this van pulls in front of me blocking the road. I start to run around it when two guys get out and demand what I am doing there. Evidently they tried to yell at me earlier and I did not hear them. The were the local neighborhood watch according to them. They did have this cheesy magnetic shield that said xxxxxx Neighborhood watch so I knew that they were authentic. I yelled "I am running". One guy tried to block my path ans I ran through him. They then followed me.

A mile later a LEO pulls me over. The dudes in the van called them. He asked why I did not stop for the guys. I said I am on a 13 mile run and I have no requirement to stop for them and they are obviously idiots to not be able to determine if I am a BG up to no good or somebody out for a run.

The LEO was mostly cool. He said maybe the next time to just introduce myself to avoid any problems. I replied that maybe they should not stop folks who are out for a run and think they have the authority to detain that person. I said they are lucky that someone doesn't pepper spray or shoot them. My wife runs with pepper spray and she said if she saw guys cut her off and get out of a van they would have had a face of pepper spray.

The LEO laughed and said he is doing the same marathon I am and then I went on my way totally ticked off from this encoounter. He went over to talk to them and said they should only report and not to stop folks. Messed up training run big time. Just becasue folks can't use critical thinking and MYOB it affected my personal time. I swear, folks have no brains left.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I'm glad you have a neighborhood watch program, and it must have been a boring night for the guys in the van to stop an obvious runner.

I agree with what you wrote, and would have been ticked off if my run had been interrupted like that.

You weren't running with a flat-screen TV on your back were you?
    RKflorida, Dandyone and DIRO305 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member
    Yeah thats pretty silly. I would've probably had to give them a peice of my mind when they "detained" me. Don't people know neighborhood watch is about WATCHING and then reporting suspicious activity?
    The stupidity of some people NEVER ceases to amaze me.

G19 AIWB

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    You should have pressed charges on them if possible.
    ArmyMan, sgb, mcgyver210 and 6 others like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Glad they were who they said they were. Those cheesy magnets are not all that hard to get. Too bad they did not try their routine on your wife. I would live to see that AAR. Buffoons would have gotten what they asked for.
    sdprof and Secret Spuk like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ericb327 View Post
    Meh, they might very well be idiots but let's not lose sight of the fact that what they are doing is trying to prevent crime in their area. I would go more for educating than deterring people from forming or joining neighborhood watch programs.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Meh, they might very well be idiots but let's not lose sight of the fact that what they are doing is trying to prevent crime in their area. I would go more for educating than deterring people from forming or joining neighborhood watch programs.
    Actions like this got a guy in Florida charged with murder not so long ago!
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Don't you just hate it when the cheesy magnetic shield goes on the car and common sense goes out the door?
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Actions like this got a guy in Florida charged with murder not so long ago!
    Agreed, so let's educate folks on what their actions should be rather than make people say "No way will I join the watch! Remember that guy that got charged with murder in Florida and those two guys that got arrested in Texas when they asked the jogger what he was doing? No way man, let someone else take that risk."

Because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want them on that wall. You NEED them on that wall.
    FLArmadillo, NH_Esau and Darrow75 like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I couldn't get hold of Barstoolguru for advice LOL. I ain't that type of person. Problem is the world is just getting plain dumber. They both would have had a face full of pepper spray if it was my wife. She just happend to have run earlier.
    NotMallNinja and ericb327 like this.

VIP Member
    The encounter with the local representatives of the Wannabe tribe sucks, to be sure. One lesson to be taken away (which I learned in 1988, preparing for the Columbus Marathon) is that earbuds take one's situational awareness waaaaaaaaay done.
    Sky Pilot and sdprof like this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    The encounter with the local representatives of the Wannabe tribe sucks, to be sure. One lesson to be taken away (which I learned in 1988, preparing for the Columbus Marathon) is that earbuds take one's situational awareness waaaaaaaaay done.
    I know, so does a hard 13 mile run by it self LOL. Personal choice. I like running with music, I am not going to be afraid to do what I want to do because of the almost nil chance a BG will target a fit male runner.....never anticipated a rabid neighborhood watch though!

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Was wearing running shorts and shirt with reflective tape, hydration belt, and of course had my earphones in. There is only one description that would be applicable : runner... They did have this cheesy magnetic shield that said xxxxxx Neighborhood watch so I knew that they were authentic.
    I think I've spotted the problem: you forgot your CCW badge. Next time wear it on your chest for greater visibility, or on the belt for hip factor. The badge will cancel out the magnetic shield. It's the law of the universe.
    ParaSig, JDE101, BigFish and 7 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I know, so does a hard 13 mile run by it self LOL. Personal choice. I like running with music, I am not going to be afraid to do what I want to do because of the almost nil chance a BG will target a fit male runner.....never anticipated a rabid neighborhood watch though!
    When I was running a lot, I was targeted by carloads of teens looking for a game twice, and motorists trying to scare me several times. It all ended without incident. Bicycling is a slightly different phenomena. I have had objects tossed at me twice (both misses), and deliberately forced off the road once.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

In MT that's unlawful restraint. The simple "I'm out for a run," is all they'd have gotten from me either.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links