I Quit - Page 2

I Quit

This is a discussion on I Quit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I quit cold turkey 21 years ago. It is hard at first, but don't give in, not even once. If you begin to justify "just ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: I Quit

I quit cold turkey 21 years ago. It is hard at first, but don't give in, not even once. If you begin to justify "just one", it's over. You will soon be back to smoking. Trust me on this.

If you are a Christian, pray for God's help with this journey.

I am using chantix to stop smoking. I now have to use a condenser while I sleep because my oxygen levels go to low. Heck I had double pneumonia once and still found a way to smoke lol. This smoking, no matter how much I enjoy it, has got to stop. I have dropped from two packs a day to one pack a day in a month. Doc told me he wants to see me down to half a pack a day in this next month. After that he wants me to quit all together. I didn't smoke when I was expecting either of my children and didn't start again until I was done nursing both of them. This seems harder lol.

You can do it. Is one of the best things we can ever do for yourself and those you love.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Good luck - I agree with the throw away the last 3; it'll feel good. Funny quitting smoking story: guy I know switched from smoking to chewing that nicorette gum, but then didn't quit the gum. He caught hell for that mainly b/c we could always tell where he'd been by the foil wrapper droppings he'd leave all over the place.

I quit in 1978 after 20 years of no-filter Camels so I could coach my kid's soccer. I had tried everything to quit with no luck (that was before patches) until I got hypnotized. One 4-hour session and I never felt the urge again even though I was edgy for about 6 weeks. It was so effective that 34 years later the thought of lighting a cig makes me queasy. Do what you have to to stay off cigs; it's worth it, and not just financially.

Distinguished Member Array sid1's Avatar
    Good luck! it's a hard habit to break. I'm going on two years now.

Just think in about 6 months, you can afford that really expensive gun you would like to get.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Thanks folks for all the encouragement. I appreciate it. This time is diff for me, I have a full head of steam about giving it up. To much of my life has been sucked out of me because of these dam things.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Good luck but make no mistake about it: it will be the HARDEST thing you do. Been trying to quit chewing Skoal for about two years now. Longest I've made it is 3 days. Chewing has nearly caused me a divorce, dramatically decreased my endurance (according to my doctor, dip is actually worse for your cardiovascular system than smoking is), and has cost me thousands of dollars ($5.50 a can, 1 can a day for 13 years = you do the math) and yet I still continue to do it!!

Of all the bad stuff out there, NICOTINE is the Devil's drug in my book. I hope & pray I find the strength to quit for good one day. Again, good luck and maybe you'll be an inspiration to me and others.

get welbutrin. it works.
    My metal band: Born under Sirius

Glock 23, mic holster, clipdraw, abdominal carry.

Congratulations sir! May you both live a long and blessed life.
    Luis

"Everybody's got a plan, 'til they get hit".

Mike Tyson

Distinguished Member Array Once's Avatar
    good luck to you

I am here for you bro! I just quit going on two weeks ago and started a new diet and workout routine. it's been hell on certain days but i haven't caved at all. I am feeling the pain of lifting and it really helps to blow off steam and stress and eases the smoking craving. Keep this updated and use it as a blog. It helps i promise. It's like a diary without sounding gay. Lol. Dark chocolate helps with cravings as does gum. Or google search images of smokers lungs. I use my son and wife as drive. You can do it man i guarantee! Keep me updated and holler at me if you need some encouragement.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Harryball likes this.

Hang in their buddy I quit 19 years ago ,I haven't regretted it.Just resist the urges,I sucked on jolly ranchers like they were crack until over time the urges became less frequent,When I see the price of a pack of cigarettes today I'm in shock.
    One thing you can look forward to is thinking I can get a new gun every couple months with what I save and my wife can get a lot of nice things too,If you take the money saved and treat yourself it rewards you to continue
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

When reading the title of your post, I thought you were quitting Defensive Carry!

After really reading the rest of the post, I understand. Quitting the cigarette habit can be difficult. I know those who have and those who struggle to stop and cannot seem to break it.

I never started, thank God. Wishing you the best in this effort to kick the habit.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

It may not be as hard as you think. I smoked pretty heavily for about a year in college (I realize this was not a long term habit) I quit cold turkey. I smoke a couple cigarettes a year, which usually happens late at night after a few beers. I dipped during almost all of 2011 and quit recently. That was a little harder, but still doable.

It's a good habit to break, and I wish you well.

I don't care what anybody says, though, it still looks cool. It's just unhealthy.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Sponsored Links