I Quit - Page 3

I Quit

This is a discussion on I Quit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Copenhagen. It's my disease. I quit smoking several years back, which was hard, but went right back to the can. Started when I was younger, ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: I Quit

Copenhagen. It's my disease. I quit smoking several years back, which was hard, but went right back to the can. Started when I was younger, about 12 years old. It was a common thing on the farm and rodeo circuit. Hell, we didn't figure it could be as bad for our health as the bulls or broncs that busted us up.

Then in the Corps I started smoking, and quit the can, now right back to full circle.

You will beat the smokes. I know you will, just as I will beat the can.

After reading your thread, I have decided it's time. Thanks for the inspiration, so as of today, you are not alone.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Good luck! I've got a few music school friends that are quitting right now because their smoking is starting to catch up to them. They tell me that within the first few days, breathing is easier, and your senses of smell and taste really improve.

One guy bought himself a new instrument with all of the money he saved after a year of not smoking.

I was a heavy smoker and quitting was difficult because I really liked smoking. I liked holding the cigarette, breathing it in, blowing smoke rings. Even now, years later after quitting, I am severely tempted when I smell one in the air. I was so addicted that I still can't believe I managed to quit. What helped me immensely was Nicorette Gum. I chewed and chewed and chewed for close to a year - it gives your body the drug it craves while helping you get over the actual motions of smoking. Then I weaned myself off the Nicorette and onto Trident, and one day I just quit chewing the Trident. I agree with others who recommend putting your money saved (daily) into a jar and giving yourself a big, fat reward when it's over. It'll be over before you know it. The first few days are the hardest, but the next two weeks can be awfully tempting. After that, you begin to smell a little more clearly, and realize what your house/clothes/car smell like. Then it all sort of falls into place.

Reading all the posts about quitting the the grip tobacco gets on a person makes me even gladder I never started (and that was just dumb luck, coming from a family of smokers). While smoking didn't directly kill them, it hastened the process unacceptably: Mom keeled over from a heart attack at 70, brother from lung and liver cancer at 53, sister just a year ago to breast cancer at 64. Each a smoker from late teens - and now I'm married to a smoker.

What strikes me among all the posts is the recognition of how hard it is to quit, but even more so the number of folks who were motivated to write "yep, time for me to make the jump, too." Seems like there is a boatload of mutual support available among the current and former smokers to encourage the ones trying to quit. Just daydreaming here, but what if all the "quitters" made a point to post their progress (or lack of) to the "I Quit" thread at least weekly? Not sure if it would become an unwieldy thread, but if we've got a "play on words" thread that's been alive for eternity, I bet we could keep it alive and fresh. We are a community here...
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Good luck. I've been trying to get my Dad to quit for years.

25 years on the no smoking wagon! Hard at first, but well worth all of the extras like your beloved saying it is great to not have to kiss an ashtray when you go to bed.
    Keep up the good work. Everyone here wants you to succeed. Each day is easier than the last. Lebanon, Oregon is rooting for you too! TKH

I smoked from the time I was 15 until 21.

In order for me to quit, I had to quit hanging around the crowd I was in.

It helped that we had our second child when I was 21, and I didn't want to be a bad influence on my kids.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Stay with it!!!!!!!!!!!! Today is day 30 for me. $12.00 per day savings ment a new M&P 15 from my wife. I am using the patch. Step 3 has been hard, but not unbearable. Once again, keep it up. We are all with you.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    Power and prayers to ya, bub.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Welcome to the club op and Gman, I just quit about 2 months ago...I feel so much better it's rediculous!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrebleau View Post
    I quit in 1978 after 20 years of no-filter Camels so I could coach my kid's soccer. I had tried everything to quit with no luck (that was before patches) until I got hypnotized. One 4-hour session and I never felt the urge again even though I was edgy for about 6 weeks. It was so effective that 34 years later the thought of lighting a cig makes me queasy. Do what you have to to stay off cigs; it's worth it, and not just financially.
    +1 on the hypnosis. You just have to find the right hypnotist. One session (large audience) with a co-worker and haven't smoked since. Pretty easy actually. I tried a cigarette during a family crisis years later and couldn't get past two puffs. Part of the success of the hypnosis is that we were told we weren't quitting smoking, we were now non-smokers. Buy any follow up tape/cd and use it daily. It really helped. Good luck and don't give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Quitter.

Congrats and stick with it. That's like a Glock a month...
    I never thought of it like that. That quote alone has made me decide to quit after these last two packs from my carton.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfart60 View Post
    +1 on the hypnosis. You just have to find the right hypnotist. One session (large audience) with a co-worker and haven't smoked since. Pretty easy actually. I tried a cigarette during a family crisis years later and couldn't get past two puffs. Part of the success of the hypnosis is that we were told we weren't quitting smoking, we were now non-smokers. Buy any follow up tape/cd and use it daily. It really helped. Good luck and don't give up.
    Another +1 on the hypnosis...I was hypnotized 24 years ago and haven't touched em since. Was a 3 pack a day puffer.

Make sure you get rid of ALLLLLLL your smoking paraphernalia (i.e. ashtrays, lighters, etc)....ALWAYS have something in your pocket to use as a substitute when you think about lighting up, such as a tic tac, certs, mints, etc. I went through many many rolls of certs.

GOOD LUCK HARRYBALL. You can do it Sir!!!!! Keep us posted.
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Distinguished Member Array Burns's Avatar
    After smoking over half a pack a day for 7 years I quit about 6 months ago. The first week is tough, but if you get past it and continue to be determined to quit, you can. It's definitely worth it, good luck!
    Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable- JFK

VIP Member
    I have a question, and I'm not being a smarty pants. With all of the data out there as to how bad it is, why did you start? This is directed at OP and Gman. I'm really just curious.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links