I Quit

This is a discussion on I Quit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; HB as you know I dipped a can a day for 35 plus years and gave it up one day so you can to. I ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: I Quit

VIP Member
    HB as you know I dipped a can a day for 35 plus years and gave it up one day so you can to.

I look forward to training together, wherever that may be so you better get in shape it would be hell to be outrun by a 51 year old, I would not let you live it down.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Good for you.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Power and prayers to ya, bub.

+1
    I tried to think of something inspiring and witty, but I am satisfied with wishing the best.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have a question, and I'm not being a smarty pants. With all of the data out there as to how bad it is, why did you start? This is directed at OP and Gman. I'm really just curious.
    I was 12 when I started, Been smoking for 30 years now. I got hooked and never stopped. My dad was right, go figure.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Began smoking at 13. Quit 6 times before it finally took. That was only because of the psychic shock of losing my father at age 60. He smoked but gave it up at 55. I was 30 and my grandfather was 90 at the time. It was doubly painful to see him lose his first born son. I took the 30 60 90 as a sign and a warning.

Nicotine is the most addictive drug. I applaud you for quitting. Do whatever it takes to rid yourself of it. Your life and loves are the reward.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own!
    this space for rent

I quit about 40 yrs ago. I'm 71 and still strong. I have lost many family members to the effects of smoking, if you want to live a long and useful life stay away from smoking .

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Best of luck to you, too.
    Thanks.

Smoking again. The medicine my doctor gave me for it is making me crazy. Stopped taking that. Will go back to the gum. Worked last time and I quit for a year and a half.

I hope others are having a little better luck.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    I have a question, and I'm not being a smarty pants. With all of the data out there as to how bad it is, why did you start? This is directed at OP and Gman. I'm really just curious.
    35 years ago, there was no information widely publicized about the dangers of tobacco. And chewing tobacco was considered even a medicinal use.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

all that silly info. facts shmacts if you ask me.

I think the older generations have an excuse with the lack of info. the culture was much different regarding smoking.

I have only been at a pack a day for about 7 years. little less of an excuse available when you start in the mid 2000s.

Good lick HB and glockmann. Still on the can, like HB I like it. It seems the psychological part is just as challenging as the actual physical cravings. Good luck guys! Replace it with a positive habit and reward itself w the $ you save.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    35 years ago, there was no information widely publicized about the dangers of tobacco. And chewing tobacco was considered even a medicinal use.
    Warnings were legislated onto cigarette labels in 1969. We can thank Big Tobacco for the further obfuscation after than point. After that, during the spate of lawsuits in the late 90s, Big Tobacco vociferously argued that they should not be complicit for the lung cancers suffered by people who started smoking post 1969.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    HB as you know I dipped a can a day for 35 plus years and gave it up one day so you can to.

I look forward to training together, wherever that may be so you better get in shape it would be hell to be outrun by a 51 year old, I would not let you live it down.
    Ill be ready for ya....Dont worry bout that....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Distinguished Member
    Good for you. I will be syaing prayers that you are successful.

In early august, I attended a funeral for my friend's grandfather. While I was listening to the sermon and his grandfather's life, I was amazed at how similar hisgrandfather's life was to my grandfather's. They were born 4 months apart,helped support their famlies during the depression, both lied about their age to sign up for the service during WWII, and gave alot back to their communitees. The big difference was his grandfather never smoked, lived 13 years longer and got to spend time his his great grandchildren.

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I started chewing tobacco at the age of 7 and quit when I was 33 I am now 43. I had tried halfheartedly to quit a few times because of peer pressure and the fact that I knew that it was bad for me. It didn't work for me until I WANTED TO quit. Until I WAS READY.
    Harryball, it sounds to me like you have the right attitude and that YOU ARE READY! I will be pulling for you, don't give up.....

By the way, when I did quit I kept a fresh can of Copenhagen (that was my weakness) around.... It was there if I wanted it..... Kinda like reverse psychology on myself, but I didn't need it.
    Stop whining and go make a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    One of the strangle holds in my life has been smoking. I love it. However, with this last fight with pneumonia, I now hate it with every fiber of my being. My wife is on board as well, we are stopping today. I sit here with 3 left in my last pack. This is the struggle........

What I look forward to. Not being winded, while training. At least not as winded. Saving the 600 dollars a month it costs for my wife and I to smoke. Last but not least, the health benefits that come along with not smoking. Overall, I am mad about smoking and the grip it has had on me. No more. If I come across a bit edgy, I am sorry, but I will refrain my post if I notice myself being to much of an ass.
    Congratulations on taking the courageous step. How have you been doing since then? I quit a very minor habit (less than a pack a month!) and it's been over a year. Even though I wasn't smoking that much, it was a tough one to give up.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links