I Quit

This is a discussion on I Quit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Harryball One of the strangle holds in my life has been smoking. I love it. However, with this last fight with pneumonia, ...

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: I Quit

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    One of the strangle holds in my life has been smoking. I love it. However, with this last fight with pneumonia, I now hate it with every fiber of my being. My wife is on board as well, we are stopping today. I sit here with 3 left in my last pack. This is the struggle........

What I look forward to. Not being winded, while training. At least not as winded. Saving the 600 dollars a month it costs for my wife and I to smoke. Last but not least, the health benefits that come along with not smoking. Overall, I am mad about smoking and the grip it has had on me. No more. If I come across a bit edgy, I am sorry, but I will refrain my post if I notice myself being to much of an ass.
    This is the only way and that is to build up a hatred against smoking and becoming very angry at yourself for doing it! It worked for me after smoking for 20 years and two and a half packs a day, I finally went Cold Turkey for the third and final time in 1989 and never put a but in my mouth ever again. The key for me was the anger and hatred was my motivational factor and it worked. I threw the pack away and went on a two week vacation at the beach. I relaxed my body and my mind and just had a good time. When I went back to work, I felt like a new person and my co-workers were very surprised that I was able to do it. JUST DO IT!

2. Remove Ads

Update: It has been almost 2 weeks and my wife and I are still going strong. I really appreciate all the kind words..Thanks again.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

One of the strangle holds in my life has been smoking. I love it. However, with this last fight with pneumonia, I now hate it with every fiber of my being. My wife is on board as well, we are stopping today. I sit here with 3 left in my last pack. This is the struggle........

What I look forward to. Not being winded, while training. At least not as winded. Saving the 600 dollars a month it costs for my wife and I to smoke. Last but not least, the health benefits that come along with not smoking. Overall, I am mad about smoking and the grip it has had on me. No more. If I come across a bit edgy, I am sorry, but I will refrain my post if I notice myself being to much of an ass.
    I had great success with Chantix. I quit for a year, then my mother died and had to deal with that....now this election. I look forward to using it again and maybe stress won't draw me back.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Update: It has been almost 2 weeks and my wife and I are still going strong. I really appreciate all the kind words..Thanks again.
    Be ready for next week.

Once you make it through that (and you will) it's much easier, congratulations and here's to continued success!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Keep up the good work. We are all cheering you on!

VIP Member
    Impressive. My wife and I both quit at the same time, and it made the experience much more tolerable for both of us. Sounds like it is going very well for you, as well.
    Harryball likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Monday was a month for me. 2 packs a day since 74. The patch worked well, but this week without it has been a lot harder. Sticking with it. Congrats to all still hanging in there.
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.

I'm glad you're holding strong.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Hang in there - your doing great! I quit in the mid 80's. I did NOT think I could do it but several things changed my life for the good. First, I went in for the yearly physical and the doc said - look you need to stop smoking, you have had your fun but that is over because if you don't you will do some real damage. Second, that very week the state raised the tax on smokes .50 a pack.And finally the U.S. Senate was grilling the tobacco company's on CSpan. And asking why they put these fillers in cigarettes like chocolate etc. The company CEO's were stumbing all over themselves trying to explain the "filler" question. So, it was like a perfect storm to quit. My doctor also said "look I can perscribe for you the patch, the gum, acupucture, meditation BUT if you don't have the will to quit - nothing will help you quit. The first thing you have to have is the will to quit." I quit that day and never looked back. I did it in 24 hour increments. Make it through the next 24 hours - never look further than that and before long you have a week, and the a month, and so on. If I can do it -you can do it. Good Luck.
    Harryball likes this.
    " Life is tough and it gets tougher if your stupid." John Wayne.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    I had great success with Chantix. I quit for a year, then my mother died and had to deal with that....now this election. I look forward to using it again and maybe stress won't draw me back.
    I know the pain of loosing a mother, mine was taken at 56 by ovarian cancer, is was a rotten, well you can say the rest. You did it once, you can do it again, for good. PM me, if you would like what I am using to quit. I wish you the best with your situation....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    I used tobacco for about 10 years and "quit" several times. And start again when I had a drink. Finally stopped altogether, and it nearly killed me. For about 15 years, I'd get hit with a freight train urge to get some tobacco, but the urges finally stopped. Hang in there.

When people say they put tobacco down and never look back, well, that's them. I know people who had as much trouble as I did, except quitting booze. I put the bottle down and never looked back. I've heard of people stopping heroin the same way, and others getting addicted to pot (of all things) and having a rough time quitting that.

Each person has his own weaknesses and strengths, and his own battles to fight and win. You sound like you have a battle on your hands. Good luck. You made it this far, you can make it the rest of the way.

They say the best way to quit is to gradually wean yourself from the regiment, so if it helps you any, you say you spend about 600 a month, well you could send me, 500 for the first month then 400 the second, then 3oo ect, when you get to zero you should be too broke to buy more, Just a thought, I quit 15 years ago, still think about it once in a while, But never again, Good luck,,,,,even if you dont send me the money,

Keep it up HB!!! In Rob schneiders voice "you can do it!!!"
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Links