Firearm Transportation Question

This is a discussion on Firearm Transportation Question within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So over the next couple of days I am going to be forced to drive through Illinois and West Virginia(Love WV, just doesn't recognize my ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By whoppo

Thread: Firearm Transportation Question

Firearm Transportation Question

So over the next couple of days I am going to be forced to drive through Illinois and West Virginia(Love WV, just doesn't recognize my permit) and have made the decision to simply store my firearm while driving instead of dealing with the hassle of taking it out and putting it away 4 times. My question is this, I have looked at the Federal Statute regarding firearms transportation and didn't see any mention of it, but does the case carrying your firearm in your trunk need to be of a locking variety? Or is simply being cased and in the trunk sufficient?

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member
    926A. Interstate Transportation of Firearms
    Release date: 2005-08-03
    Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. 18 USC 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | LII / Legal Information Institute

I, not being a lawyer, read that to mean that if it is stored in the trunk of a car, the gun case need not be locked, however if it's inside the passenger compartment it must be locked in a separate container... not the gove box, etc.
    pgrass101 likes this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

Links