My favorite typos/misspellings/wrong words

This is a discussion on My favorite typos/misspellings/wrong words within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; In some recent posts, I noticed the following: "right to bare arms" - this is not the constitutional right to own and carry weapons, but ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: My favorite typos/misspellings/wrong words

VIP Member

My favorite typos/misspellings/wrong words

In some recent posts, I noticed the following:

"right to bare arms" - this is not the constitutional right to own and carry weapons, but rather the right to walk around with exposed upper limbs.

"consealed weapon" - this is not a handgun carried beneath one's clothing, but instead is a gun that has been blister wrapped in plastic making it extremely difficult to deploy, yet almost impervious to rain and sweat. Alternatively, it's a concrete sealant company (Conseal - Concrete Sealants) and their top secret tool for sealing concrete.

If you've come across a humorous typo or misspelling, please share it (no names!); and try to come up with a funny explanation of the word.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

"irregardless", because "regardless" just doesn't have...enough letters.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    "The use of deadly farce" = gun control
    BenGoodLuck and Hoganbeg like this.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    "The use of deadly farce" = gun control
    Sounds like an old movie where the cop is telling the young kid "I'm gonna be chargin' ya with the use of deadly farce!" Also, could be any classic Monty Python sketch.
    Sig35seven likes this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    "irregardless", because "regardless" just doesn't have...enough letters.
    That and "Between you and I" are the two biggest groaners used by sportscasters.
    Ben

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Deadly farce, it sounds Irish to me. "Well Laddie, it appearrrs ya' used jus' a wee bit too much deadly farce 'ere now din' ya'?".
    Last edited by ghost tracker; September 6th, 2012 at 03:56 PM.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

If you ever see me on Death Row it's for killing some moron for saying "should of". Do people know what "of" means? I get a little closer to nihilism every time I see that in print. Oh, I mean nialism.

Correct: definitely

Incorrect: defiantly, definately, etc.

Common mix-ups: your/you're, there/they're/their

Correct: must have

Incorrect: must of
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

irregardless: Not without regard. "Irrespective" combined with the popularity of "Regardless" ... no matter how you slice it, the best of both worlds.

pedentec: Regarding the correcting of it -- When being pedantic just ain't good enough.

they're / their / their's / there: Where there's an Us, their's a Them, and for sure there seein' greener grass over they're.

aint / arent / isnt / cant / wouldnt: Contraction redaction.

too / to / two: When three is too much and two is too confusing to remember.

deers: One deer, two deer, three deer ... Oh, dear! those grammar school "rule" exceptions are rough.

tye-die: Myself, I could've just died the first time my tie-dye came out ugly. After a few dozen of them, they still came out ugly. Twenty years later, I realized they're mostly all ugly. Didn't feel so bad, after that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    Correct: definitely

Incorrect: defiantly, definately, etc.

Common mix-ups: your/you're, there/they're/their

Correct: must have

Incorrect: must of
    Add to those the constant mis-use of "loose" for "lose", and the classic "To each their own".

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Add to those the constant mis-use of "loose" for "lose", and the classic "To each their own".
    To each their own... should be? to each there own? nah. To each they're own? hardly.

"To each they are own" would be the latter without the contraction... "to each their own" is correct.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    To each their own... should be? to each there own? nah. To each they're own? hardly.

"To each they are own" would be the latter without the contraction... "to each their own" is correct.
    Nope. "To each "his" own. Trust me.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.

I am surprised at how many people spell "ridiculous" wrong.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post

If intended to be a pronoun referencing the individuals, then technically it's: to each his (her) own.

Grammar's a wonderment, for sure and for certain. Gotta love Englisch, in that regard.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links