Elderly Bavarian Farmer Accidentally Plants Field Of Hemp - Page 2

Elderly Bavarian Farmer Accidentally Plants Field Of Hemp

This is a discussion on Elderly Bavarian Farmer Accidentally Plants Field Of Hemp within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've had spilled bird seed come up under feeders,it did look like pot to me....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Elderly Bavarian Farmer Accidentally Plants Field Of Hemp

I've had spilled bird seed come up under feeders,it did look like pot to me.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

There's still beaucoup wild hemp growing in Illinois. People I knew 30 years ago would drive out there for it. It was planted to make rope in the pre-nylon era before WWII. It is only good for rope (I suppose) and nothing else.

If in fact hemp has no addictive/psychoactive type chemicals that could be wrangled over, it's hard to believe it's still unlawful. (Can't imagine the need to protect the nylon industry's that important any longer, if the DuPont rumor's true.)

Then again ... it's 2012. Nothing seems that strange, these days.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

That explains why birds always fly into my windshield.......
    mlr1m likes this.

In Easern Nebraska hemp grew wild all over the place. It was called Nebraska No High. Hippies driving through thought they had arived in heaven. They would dry Nebraska No High in pillow cases at the laundramat. It was illegal to harvest or posess the stuff and if you wanted to burn off a field, you had to notify the sherrif beforehand. Our neighbor across the street was about 70 and she was burning a vacant lot of weeds. They gave her a warning but no ticket.
    barstoolguru and Spirit51 like this.
    Retired AF pilot, Vietnam FAC 1967-68

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    When you read of Americans in the colonial days "wearing homespun" that was usually hemp.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    (sigh) Hard to tell who is being a smartbutt and who really does not know.

Hemp can be bred for seed, for fiber, or for smoke. No one has succeeded in breeding it for any two. Hemp seed is high calorie and birds love it, but it lacks nutrients (think "candy bars" here). It was also a major crop western asia or eastern europe, for human food, as hemp has one of the highest percentages of seed to "other dry matter" ratios among seed crops. Back when I was researching the subject for feeding birds, a common claim was that hemp seed available had to be sterilized before it was offered (questionable, IMO, as that would add cost to a cheap, low value food).

That said, I have to wonder where that seed came from as there are always people around who cannot be convinced that those strains are useless for smoke, and an excess of people who crack tired jokes to convince them all hemp is smoke.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    @ccw9mm: Different strains of the same plant. An expert can tell them apart, but I'd sure hate to be in the court room for any reason while the lawyers wrangled out why /this/ plant was, or was not, illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by Lindy1933 View Post
    In Easern Nebraska hemp grew wild all over the place. It was called Nebraska No High. Hippies driving through thought they had arived in heaven. They would dry Nebraska No High in pillow cases at the laundramat. It was illegal to harvest or posess the stuff and if you wanted to burn off a field, you had to notify the sherrif beforehand. Our neighbor across the street was about 70 and she was burning a vacant lot of weeds. They gave her a warning but no ticket.
    In Kansas we called that "ditch weed" and it was not worth anything unless you were making rope, paper, bird seed or cloth. I still have a bracelet made of hemp twine.

I guess you could say that you were growing hemp for homemade bird seed. Or making your own cloth or twine for fashion. The first Declaration of Independence was written on hemp paper. That is why it has lasted this long. Unless Obummer rolled it up for a dubbie. Hemp makes stronger fabric, twine, and paper.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

VIP Member
    During WW-II my grandparents grew hemp for the war effort.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links