Seriously? Government warns citizens of 'zombie apocalypse' to urge better emergency

Seriously? Government warns citizens of 'zombie apocalypse' to urge better emergency

This is a discussion on Seriously? Government warns citizens of 'zombie apocalypse' to urge better emergency within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; WASHINGTON - "The zombies are coming!" the Homeland Security Department says. Tongue firmly in cheek, the government urged citizens Thursday to prepare for a zombie ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Seriously? Government warns citizens of 'zombie apocalypse' to urge better emergency

WASHINGTON - "The zombies are coming!" the Homeland Security Department says.
    Tongue firmly in cheek, the government urged citizens Thursday to prepare for a zombie apocalypse, part of a public health campaign to encourage better preparation for genuine disasters and emergencies. The theory: If you're prepared for a zombie attack, the same preparations will help during a hurricane, pandemic, earthquake or terrorist attack.

Well this one way of getting someone's attention. so the assumption is if you are ready for a zombie attack everything else is cake

Seriously? Government warns citizens of 'zombie apocalypse' to urge better emergency plans - Yahoo! News
    Spirit51 likes this.

Seen it before. They're just capitalizing (albeit a little late) on a pop-culture pandemic to get people interested in preparing.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array ericb327's Avatar
    Or they're in league with Hornady!
    DontTreadOnI and Brad426 like this.
    For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill. (Sun Tzu) The Art of War

https://www.facebook.com/ninja312

My food and product review blog
    http://trualitybarandgrille.wordpress.com/

CDC did one of these awhile ago. It's good information for the unprepared.

VIP Member
    Ever notice they suggest all types of supplies to stock up on but they will never mention any type of weapon or ammunition for personal protection.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

there was a link to the CDC page and them talking about zombie’s at the bottom of the article but it's gone now

VIP Member
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Anyone else here see the "tongue in cheek" part of the quote?
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array skysoldier29's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Ever notice they suggest all types of supplies to stock up on but they will never mention any type of weapon or ammunition for personal protection.
    The government will protect us.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990 using Tapatalk 2

I watched both the Republican and the Democratic conventions. Gone of both parties platforms. Not a single mention of Zombies from either side.
    Conspiracy anyone?

Michael
    Spirit51 likes this.

Meh. Marketing.

Makes sense to use language that's commonly understood. To the intended audience (20-35yr old "web head" generation), I'm sure it was believed that "zombies" would create the intended connection and sense of urgency.

To the rest of us, to whom "zombies" is a bit farcical and overboard in its implications, it's simple enough to realize they're just referring to the same old situations of rioting, looting sprees, home invasions, gang attacks and general criminality gone haywire ... irrespective of the triggering condition (hurricane, whatever).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Have you guys ever heard of a "Zombie Run"? It is 5k race/obstacle course with people dressed as zombies postioned through out the course to chase the runners. It was developed to get couch potato 20 somethings out of their parents basements and outside exercising.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Meh. Marketing.

Makes sense to use language that's commonly understood. To the intended audience (20-35yr old "web head" generation), I'm sure it was believed that "zombies" would create the intended connection and sense of urgency.

To the rest of us, to whom "zombies" is a bit farcical and overboard in its implications, it's simple enough to realize they're just referring to the same old situations of rioting, looting sprees, home invasions, gang attacks and general criminality gone haywire ... irrespective of the triggering condition (hurricane, whatever).
    Next time your at the Department of Motor Vehicles take a close look at the workers. Then try to convince yourself that Zombies don't exist.

Michael
    msgt/ret likes this.

Tongue in cheek? More like tongue and cheek sandwich for the zombies if you arent prepared!!!!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Next time your at the Department of Motor Vehicles take a close look at the workers. Then try to convince yourself that Zombies don't exist.

It's been a long while since USPS workers went postal. And I can't recall the last time DMV types went on a rampage. Let me know, if it does occur ... I'll need some time to dredge up my my DMV-tuned AR, specifically designed to take out harried office types when they descend upon my property.

"Where's my stapler? Did anyone take my stapler? Who ..."
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links