A fishy project... - Page 2

A fishy project...

This is a discussion on A fishy project... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Very nice! We're about to go from fresh to salt as well. For the past year we've had a 36 gallon tank with a few ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: A fishy project...

Very nice! We're about to go from fresh to salt as well. For the past year we've had a 36 gallon tank with a few Cichlids that behaved for the most part. They've just gotten nastier as they grew, so it's time for some nicer, tropical fish.
    I'm really impressed with your building ability. Was the front preformed or did you bend it yourself?

Pretty awesome Lima! Love the niche its in, makes it fit that wall well. When are you accepting orders??? :)
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Lima is going to have ninja fish. Somebody tries to break into the house they jump from tank kick some tail and back into the tank.
    limatunes likes this.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Nice job. Looks like a fun project and it looks awesome.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." – Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." – Thomas Jefferson

Administrator
    Nicely done. That was a neat project that should give you much continued enjoyment.

VIP Member
    Thanks Lima for the explanation of the second tank.

As to the fish, could you get JD something in red and gold?

Not bad. Are you going to do anything else (cosmetic wise) to it? Seems like its missing something besides fish. Excellent craftsmanship by the way.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Pump went out while I was in the hospital; my roommate tried to get some circulation going but did not have any luck with it. By the time I got out of the hospital everything was either dying or dead. You stated you want coral most soft corals have a symbiotic relationship with algae in their bodies and need strong lighting to flourish. The new compact florescent and LED lights though pricey will work well.
    That's a bummer. I certainly hope that never happens. I was just looking online at getting a back up pump JUST IN CASE. I have a 140 gph pump circulating things through my sump. I have a 425 gph powerhead coming in on Tuesday. That should give me more than enough circulation for a small tank like this. Thankfully JD has been following along rather well and should be able to do some replacements if need be. Hopefully we'll not have to worry about a crash. Hope. hope. hope.

I have LEDs coming tomorrow. I knew I needed good lights but I couldn't do halogen or anything because they produce too much heat for such a small and enclosed space. LEDs are perfect for their high output and low heat. I'm starting out with some white stunners and then adding some RGB lights for when I get the corals and have ot do the day/night cycles.
    Quote Originally Posted by .45acpguy View Post
    I'd like to join you on this kind of project; I think fish are neat. However, my wife thinks that fish are "icky" and she will not tolerate them--so I have to envy and admire from afar.
    I am so amazed at JD's patience and support of this project. He's been really into it and that's great because I really couldn't have done it without him!! All of the advice I've gotten, one of the biggest pieces of advice was to make sure that the spouse was on board.. if not it's not nearly as enjoyable and I can see the wisdom in that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tropicoz View Post
    Was the front preformed or did you bend it yourself?
    I did the bend myself with a toaster oven..lol. It was an experience, for sure! Not really "hard" per say but you do have to be patient, careful and a steady hand.

Oh.. and a fire extinguisher handy. I DID set the toaster oven on fire.. but I was able to put it out with a pair of tongs. :D

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    When are you accepting orders??? :)
    LOL.. when I get more tools! There are definitely some more tools I could have used for this project that I had to make do without that would have made better cuts and faster work. It took me about a month to build from the moment I drew up the plans to when I welded the last baffles in place. A bit time consuming but fun.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    As to the fish, could you get JD something in red and gold?
    He gets to pick his own fish.. as long as it's compatible with the tank and other friends then he can choose neon green if he wants!

VIP Member
    Lima, you are a self-reliant internet star!
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Hey Lima, nice tank. Have you seen the show "Tanked" before? It would be right up your alley. If you haven't, it is reality show about two guys who build residential and commercial acrylic tanks. It is interesting seeing how they go about building their tanks. Yeah, being a reality show there is a lot of playing to camera but I enjoy watching it. Check it out sometime.

Senior Moderator
    Wow, you did that and you have kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    Hey Lima, nice tank. Have you seen the show "Tanked" before? It would be right up your alley. If you haven't, it is reality show about two guys who build residential and commercial acrylic tanks. It is interesting seeing how they go about building their tanks. Yeah, being a reality show there is a lot of playing to camera but I enjoy watching it. Check it out sometime.
    I had heard of the show but had not seen a whole episode of it until I started researching for this tank. I knew there was a show out there and when I googled "building your own fish tank" it wasn't surprising that the show Tanked popped up and I got interested to watch it for the first time.

Yeah, it's reality TV but it's really good clean family fun. We love watching it with our kids and of all the "reality" shows out there it's just a lot of fun to watch. And their tanks are AMAZING!!

pgrass... Why do you think it took me a whole month?!?! lol. Most of it I did on my back deck where I could let the kids play while I worked, so if it was raining or the kids were hungry or something went wrong I had to drop everything to sometimes not pick it back up for a couple of days. But it all worked out in the end.

I miss my tank but I lost all my fish when my air conditioner died while on vacation. Have central air now, may get a tank again someday. Haven't figured out how to bug out with them though.

My wife when to sleepaway camp with Brett and Heather.
    You do not know, what you do not know, until you realize that you do not know it

Lead Moderator
    Looks like a fun and busy project. Making your own stuff is way cooler than pre made off the rack. Enjoy your fish and tank.
    limatunes likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links