DPD officer killed cleaning gun

This is a discussion on DPD officer killed cleaning gun within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; DALLAS - A Dallas police officer accidentally shot himself to death on Monday. The department said it appears as though Officer Christopher Pasley died after ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: DPD officer killed cleaning gun

DALLAS -
    A Dallas police officer accidentally shot himself to death on Monday.

The department said it appears as though Officer Christopher Pasley died after the gun he was cleaning in his home accidentally discharged.

He was assigned to the Central Patrol Division and had been with the force since 2007.
    imagesCA3UK914.jpg this has got to be the shortest article I have ever seen

Read more: DPD officer killed cleaning gun - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

Short but what more can be said? The guy apparently killed himself foolishly.

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    My thoughts go out to his family. I don't mean to make light of the tragedy, but I found this related story:

Dallas PD officer died at home today, the result of ‘an accidental discharge while cleaning his weapon’ | Crime Blog

It is reported in the friggin crime blog. You know we are up against it when a self-inflicted accidental shooting by a police officer while cleaning his gun is treated as if it's a crime on the police blotter.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoleShtr View Post
    My thoughts go out to his family. I don't mean to make light of the tragedy, but I found this related story:

Dallas PD officer died at home today, the result of ‘an accidental discharge while cleaning his weapon’ | Crime Blog

It is reported in the friggin crime blog. You know we are up against it when a self-inflicted accidental shooting by a police officer while cleaning his gun is treated as if it's a crime on the police blotter.
    Oh-oh. He said accidental shooting. Now it's gonna start.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

What a sad thing to happen. I prayers go out to the family

Don't we learn in Gun 101 to make sure the firearm is empty before we clean it?
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

You pick up a gun, CHECK THE CHAMBER!
    You go to put a gun down, CHECK THE CHAMBER!
    If someone hands you a gun, CHECK THE CHAMBER! (even if you just watched them check it)
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Oh-oh. He said accidental shooting. Now it's gonna start.
    As well it should. The distinction between accident and negligence is all to often ... well, life or death.

Condolences to those who loved him, who'll have to deal with the aftermath.
    beararms likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Some people are just too smart to worry about such trivialities as unloading a gun before cleaning it. This is why I reported on another thread I don't carry with one in the pipe. My odds of killing myself or somebody else accidentally (I'm sure this guy was just as "smart" as you and me) are 1000's of times greater than me getting killed because I had my gun but nothing in the pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by wraithls1 View Post
    If someone hands you a gun, CHECK THE CHAMBER! (even if you just watched them check it)
    I was taught to hand a revolver with an empty cylinder dangling or a semi-auto with no mag and the slide locked back.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by bmglock23 View Post
    I was taught to hand a revolver with an empty cylinder dangling or a semi-auto with no mag and the slide locked back.
    So was I. Hard to beat that, for a simple and effective way to know for a fact that a gun is unloaded.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Sometimes something is reported as an accident so that the decedent's family can receive the death benefits. Not saying that is what happened in this case but I know for a fact it does happen.

Michael
    Spirit51 likes this.

As was I. It is a great practice. The only catch is, some of the smaller auto pistols do not have a slide lock, though
    "Sooner or later we all must die. Warriors choose to do so on their feet, standing between their enemies and those they hold dear. With a weapon in their hands. Cowards choose to do so on their bellies. Unarmed."

- Dave Gell

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Sometimes something is reported as an accident so that the decedent's family can receive the death benefits. Not saying that is what happened in this case but I know for a fact it does happen.

Michael
    I was about to say that. I know of a officer who had a heart attack while having "dinner" at his girlfriend's house. The official story for the papers, the department, and the wife was that he had the attack while chasing a suspect. That way his family got the benefits and the wife didn't know.

Not saying that this is the case here, but there is a chance. He may not have been careless, but depressed. Either way...very sad.

But we did have a very experienced gun smith who accidentally shot his adult daughter while working on a weapon. It ruined him. That was also very sad. Accidents can happen if you don't watch out. Always follow the safety rules....no matter how much experience you have.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

As was I and it's how I do it to this day.

This story just seems odd to me and all other stories regarding a gun going off during a cleaning do as well. It just doesn't make sense to me. Me thinks this is a suicide but the story is being told differently for the family.
    Hoganbeg likes this.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    very well could be or they are covering up an officer with mental health issues to protect pending cases....good theories then again it could be that handling a gun so often you become relaxed with it and add in a bottle and you have an accident waiting to happen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links