Criminal Defense Attorney

This is a discussion on Criminal Defense Attorney within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be an attorney of some sorts. I ended up going to college for one ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Criminal Defense Attorney

For as long as I can remember, I've always wanted to be an attorney of some sorts. I ended up going to college for one of my other major interests (computer programming and security) instead. I've recently become more and more unhappy with my profession and my mind has constantly been drifting back to practicing law.

I've seen my fair share of corruption and have also been a victim of it. I kind of had an "aha ha" moment today and have decided to return back to school to practice criminal defense law.

Are there any criminal defense attorney's, whether it be own practice or public defenders on this board that would be open to answering some questions I have? If so, please post or PM me and I will follow up with my questions (in thread or in mail).

Thanks in advance.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Being an attorney for the right reasons is admirable. I would hazard to guess that you will find being a criminal defense attorney quite disheartening. I come from a family of attorneys and I can tell you that rarely are the cases that come along the type that gets your heart and brain synched. In the legal world your clients only get as much justice as they can afford. An attorney has to balance out his time based upon the ability of a client to pay the fees and costs associated with criminal defense (same goes for civil torts, contract law, and anything else you might want to toss in). But then again you wanted to ask an attorney and I most certainly am not one.

Hope you don't mind starving. It is an over-subscribed profession right now, and will be for several years. I guess as long as you're happy and feel you are providing someone a service, great. Good luck!

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

A great attorney can make a lot of money. However this reminds me of something I heard some time ago.

There are only 2 great attorneys in America, one just retired and the other is dead.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

My wife works at a big law firm in Phoenix. Right now, law is an employer's market, and unless you're near the top of your class, or have a connection somewhere, getting productive work may be a challenge for you. But if you're just starting your legal education, things may change by the time you pass your bar exam.

One suggestion is to find work with a prosecutor's office as a preliminary to becoming a CDL. That will give you exposure to how your future opponents think and work, and you'll get a steady paycheck and benefits. Looks good on a resume, too.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Although I no longer practice, I am an attorney but with only a bit of exposure to the criminal justice side of things. You can e-mail me, PM me and ask whatever you like. I'll talk until you're tired of listening. I'll tell you upfront that I won't be very encouraging, but I think you're doing the right thing by investigating before you make the leap.

Skidboot

Ragnar at wowway dot com
    Last edited by Rock and Glock; September 12th, 2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Changed email to prevent Bots from snapping it up for spam

Sponsored Links