Walked outside deer standing 15 feet from me

This is a discussion on Walked outside deer standing 15 feet from me within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by JD I had a similar experience with a squirrel once.... my personal favorite is when people who live adjacent to public land ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Walked outside deer standing 15 feet from me

Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I had a similar experience with a squirrel once....
    my personal favorite is when people who live adjacent to public land let their mean dogs out right at 6:32 on opening day and they follow you around growling and almost force your hand. Another reason i carry a handgun.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    my personal favorite is when people who live adjacent to public land let their mean dogs out right at 6:32 on opening day and they follow you around growling and almost force your hand. Another reason i carry a handgun.
    I don't let my dog out of the house on opening day. Public land.... I would be surprised the dog would live past 9AM

Senior Moderator
    I walked out of my House and there was a freaking water tower there
    JerryMac likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I walked out of my House and there was a freaking water tower there
    Haha spray paint your name on it. PGRASS in giant red letters
    pgrass101 and JerryMac like this.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Luinch time yesterday I stepped out onto my front porch and between me and the highway were two does and two fawns almost un-spotted. A yell could have scared them into the road. They were eating apples and i hade a roast beef sandwich. All was good with the world, locally.
    JerryMac likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

nope. We just looked at each other. It was like a staring contest.
    Had a few elk do that, once. It was unnerving, since they were so very, very large. But they didn't seem concerned in the least. It was beautiful to see. A buddy and I simply sat down on the edge of the trail and watched them go about their business.

Of course, that was off-season and in a park where elk were off-limits. Come deer season, they were certainly more scarce.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I was trying to call in a coyote the other night, and a fawn came bounding right down my lane of fire beneath me. It diddy-bopped all the way to the end of the clearing, and then turned and saw me standing there with my AR. Rather than disappear into the brush, she panicked and came running right back where she came from, and straight into and under my line of fire once again. She was adorable.

She's got a lot to learn from mamma.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    ... bounding right down my lane of fire ... diddy-bopped ... came running right back where she came from, and straight into and under my line of fire once again.

She's got a lot to learn from mamma.
    Perhaps. Momma, though, has almost assuredly got the "Hood Ornament Two-Step" dance down pat. Unfortunately, it's almost a certainty she's gonna pass that one on to li'l Bambi. Can't count the number of deer I've had dangle their tails just out of reach of my front bumper on dark, drizzly nights.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I fear deer more than mini-vans when I'm on the motorcycle.

JerryMac likes this.

The house we still have in Missouri was in the middle of the woods and I use to put out corn for the deer. They got so accustomed to me I could go out back and yell "Here Bamni, here Bambi" and they would be there in just a couple minutes. If the wife and I were having our evening Margaritas on the deck and I didn't have the corn out they would walk up to the bottom of the deck and snort and stomp demanding their dinner.
    Attached Images
    JerryMac and goldshellback like this.

When I lived in upstate NY, my inlaws came to visit. One night my MIL started screaming and startled everyone. A deer was looking in our front living room window and its eyes were glowing from the reflected light. My FIL and I were laughing so hard. In addition to the deer, we sometimes had skunks in the yard as well. I miss living in the country. I love those moments with nature.
    goldshellback likes this.
    "I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery." - Thomas Jefferson

nope. We just looked at each other. It was like a staring contest.
    She was sizing you up for a potential beat down when hunting season rolls around. (ha ha)

Seriously. Many of the deer I encounter have virtually no fear of me what so ever. They have become very accustomed to humans.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    She was sizing you up for a potential beat down when hunting season rolls around. (ha ha)

Seriously. Many of the deer I encounter have virtually no fear of me what so ever. They have become very accustomed to humans.
    Haha ever see that episode of "when animals attack" where the guy dresses up in camo and sneaks behind the deer and smacks it and it turns around and kicks the crap outta him?
    JoJoGunn and Spirit51 like this.

I live so far out in the Boonies, we have to go toward town...to hunt! Last time there was a deer in the driveway, he asked...for directions. It's like Mark Twain said - "When the end of the world comes I want to be in Kentucky. Because when anything happens, it takes 20 years longer...to get there.
    JoJoGunn and JerryMac like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

I get within 50' of deer on a weekly basis, sometimes closer.......at work actually. One of the night shift guys has put his game camera out over the past week. Four days ago I saw 3 bucks and 3 does out back of our oil storage building under a utility pole light feeding. We've got around 35 acres surrounding the plant. I always wave at them when they look up and see me. I can't help but remember some of those 'when animals attack' shows I've seen, but I figure some of these might even come eat corn out of my hand since they've seen me for the entire year and won't even run now. I've observed a doe raising two fawns this year and playing surrogate mother to a third. Many places the whitetail deer are overpopulated these days. I hear of and sometimes see wrecks on the highway often from deer crossings. Three years ago I went past one standing in the middle of the highway at dusk doing 70mph. All I remember was seeing the head slightly over my side view mirror when I went by. Kia Spectra would have been totaled and not sure what might have happened to me and my passenger.
    Don't know the laws where you are, but nuisance animals or those that cause damage to property might sometimes be taken even out of season. Many times this is subject to strict regulation especially if you're in city limits and also subject to discharge of firearms. I'm just saying. Thing is...........some may not be willing to kill an animal even if it presents a problem. On the other hand, some local food banks could use the meat even if you won't.
    Shes got a black mark shaped like a crescent just above her shoulder that should be visible from both sides. I think if i see her during season, ill let her go. Always loved the crescent moon.
    Is it a harvest crescent or a planting crescent? LOL! Yeah.......I agree with you on letting this one go. Something special and out of the ordinary.
    Well....have fun watching the deer around your place, and figure out what you'll do when they stand between you and getting into your vehicle if they don't run. They are pretty bold around here. As with most wild animals.....we've intruded on their territory or something we've done has run them out of theirs. Nature is always interesting.

Took this around end of June....already antlers. Photo taken with my phone approx 10yds away at dusk. Flash enabled. I'm actually blessed in ways that I can see plenty of nature at my work to break up the long nights.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links