.22 LR for Zombie Killing

This is a discussion on .22 LR for Zombie Killing within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Need to be careful on the ammo though. I had a case of this Russian stuff with a thick gooey lube on it that would ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: .22 LR for Zombie Killing

Need to be careful on the ammo though. I had a case of this Russian stuff with a thick gooey lube on it that would not work in a 10/22 magazine. Works fine in the bolt action though.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I want a Daisy Red Rider BB gun for Zombies......you can put an eye out with one of those things!!
    Actually.....putting an eye out is not far off course with the 22LR for slaying humans.....zombies? Well.........silver bullets? If zombie eyes glow in the dark, this would be helpful. Behind the eye is the brain. Not sure how the zombie brain works, but I guess we need to think of the CNS (central nervous system) still being operational to some extent here. We've got zombies on the streets right now......heck....some of them are in office. Okay....so......the zombie will be just like you and subject to the same physics. Those who are possessed are a different story. I personally think the zombie ordeal has gone way overboard in many ways.

Distinguished Member
    Mags-O-Plenty for the M&P 15-22's and 5K rounds of Mini-Mags... Zombies beware!!
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    The Second Amendment *IS* Homeland Security
    --------------------- Μολὼν λαβέ ----------------------

The hubby has said I can't play with you all anymore :) you keep making me want more guns and I don't pay for them lol
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    .22 in HP would be the go-to Zombie weapon, especially because a person could easily carry a 500 rounds on his person. Try carrying 500 rounds of .308.

I'd probably use a stock 10/22 with BX-25 mags.

On a related note, The Walking Dead season 3 starts on October 14.

Okay, I'll nerd up a bit on this. We've all thought about something like this while watching these movies/TV shows. My thought would be, 'I'll just barricade the house for a couple of months. Necrosis should eventually cause the joints to erode and muscle atrophy would make walking/moving impossible after a month or two'. Okay, let's assume it was something more along the lines of a prion that actually attacked only the higher thought region of our brain. Patient Zero was a book that covered this-- man-made prion that was delivered through a bite. Developed by a radical terrorist group and funded by a pharmaceutical company hoping to reap trillions off an antidote. So, the 'zombie' is still by all accounts a living person, but all cognitive thought is gone and add to it the fact that their emotion center is on anger overload. They are more into ripping you to shreds and killing than eating you. Bite still transfers the disease though.
    In this case, the bones still have blood flow and are malleable and less likely to shatter. Only after death (or osteoporosis), do the bones become brittle. Problem with a .22LR for a head-shot would be the frontal sinuses. With brittle bones, no biggie. With normal bone though, the frontal sinus opening would actually cause a lot of the 22's kinetic energy to be wasted going through the first section of bone, and the skull bone behind it is pretty thick. This is actually how a lot of modern day armored car armor works. Plate, open space behind that plate, then another plate.
    Superior (above) the frontal is a section of skull that is REALLY thick (think top of forehead). Nose has a bone behind it nicknamed the 'beak' which would not allow the .22 to go in very far.
    So, after all that unnecessary verbiage, do I think a .22LR would work? Yeah, but you'd have to go for eyes or side of skull if they are just the walking dead. If they are like the TV show 'Walking Dead', anywhere in the skull would do the trick. I'd be all for using .22 shorts out of a rifle, though. No need for a suppressor and they aren't too much less of a punch than a .22LR. And you could carry 1,000 rounds without skipping a beat.
    And, no, this isn't something I looked up on Wikipedia. Been in hundreds of cranial surgeries and I've thought about just this while observing.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I used to drop ground squirrels at 100 yards with .22 shorts when I lived in WA state. Zombies would be no problem.
    Zombie ground squirrels? If I didn't think the head shot would work, I could at least knee cap them to slow them down.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

So the follow up question is... what would you do if you ran into threats that were actually human? Would you have a backup gun? Or do you think you'd be good enough with that 22 that you'd be able to get a good shot on someone who's brain isn't rotting?

It would depend on the scenario. I would always have my 9mm on me with extra mags but it would depend on if it was CQB or a ranged fight.
    Rule #1. Cardio
    Rule #2. Double Tap

I cant verify that but my grandpa sure did drill it into my head !!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    I want a Daisy Red Rider BB gun for Zombies......you can put an eye out with one of those things!!
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

I am thinking samari sword, chop off the head, then punt like a football before it hits the ground.....
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

I asked my stock broker the other day, what I should be investing in ....his reply, canned goods n ammo !!!

Quote Originally Posted by JerryMac View Post
    I am thinking samari sword, chop off the head, then punt like a football before it hits the ground.....
    The thing about CQB with a Zombie is the blood. Get any in your eyes, nose, mouth, etc. and you'll soon be a zombie yourself. Ranged weapons are best, IMO.

The .22 is fine and dandy, but I have my dedicated "Zombie Hunter" AR for a reason. Headshots at 400 yards all day long.
    ClutchSR9C likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links