Did you ever wonder...

This is a discussion on Did you ever wonder... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ...why the same people who adamantly insist that the right to vote must not be infringed by requiring citizens to show proof of identity (meaning, ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By BenGoodLuck
  • 1 Post By ghost tracker
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 3 Post By OldVet

Thread: Did you ever wonder...

VIP Member

Did you ever wonder...

...why the same people who adamantly insist that the right to vote must not be infringed by requiring citizens to show proof of identity (meaning, that we don't need a "permit" to vote) are the same people who INSIST that the right to bear arms MUST be infringed as much as possible? Why is one right more sacred than another?

We should be as adamant about eliminating the need for permits to own or carry weapons as the voting people are against voter ID laws.
    dV8r and Eagleks like this.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

2. Remove Ads

Because it seems that they are one in the same person, right on. Here in NH last year we had the right to carry bill brought through. The house passed it with exactly the majority that was needed but the Governor shut it down (being the kind of person you mention above that he is). I think it is only 4 states that have right to carry laws right? anyway not to get off topic but I agree with you.

The Government has decided that some rights need to be protected more that others. Its that simple.

Michael

It's because the more people without photo ID they can get to the polls, the more voter fraud they can perpetrate, so they get their way. The more R2C restrictions they can impose (by the aforementioned voter fraud) the bigger they can grow the nanny-state, so...they get their way. As long as they can make it about guns, and NOT about individual responsibility...they get their way!. Anybody see a pattern here? There's no concern for smart or foolish, right or wrong, constitutional or illegal, as long as they...get their way. After all, they're smarter than we are & are just looking out for our own good.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Politics. Each party can only lay claim to one of these groups. ghost tracker has their motivation correct in my opinion: "so they get their way".

The main fear is, honestly, people getting unfairly excluded from voting because of interfering bureaucracy. It's not the 'requiring ID' that's the problem (ID allows lots of benefits, like preventing fraud), it's that by not properly implementing a system of generating those IDs, then there will be specific cohorts more likely to suffer.

It's similar to the idea of banning ex-felons from voting or owning guns. Now, I don't really understand the desire some people have to ban people's fundamental rights, but some people feel that felons shouldn't be allowed to vote. A major issue with that policy (other than violating inalienable rights, and further disenfranchising those we're trying to re-integrate into society) is that it's too easy for legitimate voters to be denied their votes because they were mistaken for a felon.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Well the first problem with your argument is logic. You are using logic. If you stop that it will help you understand the people you are referencing.
    BenGoodLuck likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I have no problem with voter ID. It is not a permit--it is identification to prove you have the right to vote at that district.
    CanuckQue, BurgerBoy and hogdaddy like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    The Government has decided that some rights need to be protected more that others. Its that simple.

Michael
    Just like some people are more equal than others!

Quote Originally Posted by BenGoodLuck View Post
    ...why the same people who adamantly insist that the right to vote must not be infringed by requiring citizens to show proof of identity (meaning, that we don't need a "permit" to vote) are the same people who INSIST that the right to bear arms MUST be infringed as much as possible? Why is one right more sacred than another?

We should be as adamant about eliminating the need for permits to own or carry weapons as the voting people are against voter ID laws.
    You know....the voter ID thing was discussed on the national news this week and there were many polling places that did not verify voters with ID. Kind of a search for illegal voting. If that's a concern now I don't know what is a concern........those who vote or those that don't and who are registered to do so. But they're worried about bogus votes? Stupid to the n'th degree as far as I'm concerned. Let's worry about something worthwhile for once shall we? The voting public will likely not vote. This is our problem. The system is working this to full advantage. The system has shown many times that the individual vote means nothing. We need to change the system, but we can't without voting.......unless you want the revolution. To my thinking........the American public just doesn't have the want to nor the team work to pull it off anymore. The public has no voice and no balls now......thanks to everyone's current disposition and selfishness. I get sick each time I think about it. I know things won't change and there's never even a chance that we can now.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    I wouldn't say our Govt.... I would say .... certain people of a particular party with a certain political persuasion.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Hoganbeg View Post
    Just like some people are more equal than others!
    Ah, you must mean "corporations", eh? I wish *I* could get massive subsidies, bankruptcy protection, and permissive legislative exemptions!
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Links