Golfer & Concealed Carry

Golfer & Concealed Carry

This is a discussion on Golfer & Concealed Carry within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My son and I went out golfing, his second time my thousandth or so. We got paired with another father and son group, the course ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree35Likes

Thread: Golfer & Concealed Carry

Golfer & Concealed Carry

My son and I went out golfing, his second time my thousandth or so. We got paired with another father and son group, the course was packed and they didn't mind.

Golfing round went well and I found out the older guy was retired Air Traffic Controler and his son still works as one. We think they may know AtcTimmy! Their last name was Wilson.

Anyway, the subject of Concealed Carry came up and I said I have a permit. He said "Alright!" and showed me his brand new Sig small frame 9mm in a zippered pouch hanging from his golf bag. I also found out he shoots skeet in Ashland, KY

His son was inquiring how to get a WV permit, his dad with the Sig lives in Ohio. I told him the process and he is going to go get the class and get his permit.

Is this not cool or what!
    goldshellback likes this.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

ABSOLUTELY cool! Not surprising though. Handgunning and golf require some of the same mental (concentration) and physical (eye/hand coordination) skills, along with the oft-restrained capacity for copious, focused foul-language! I especially like that when you Mountaineers & Buckeyes decide to get down to serious shooting...y'all head to the Bluegrass!

Even God vacations in Kentucky.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Moderator
    Sorry, every time I see a golf course I can only think "This will make one awesome rifle range"
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Toting golfers! Pretty cool, indeed. They're (we're) not all completely nuts.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Everyone else is armed with clubs, why not have the option to break out the lead wedge? I love golfing and have done it carrying IWB and just like in any other activity, don't really notice that it's there. Sounds like you guys had a very nice day which gets me thinking about heading to the course this weekend.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Slight deviation off-topic: every golfer I know spends way more money each year than I do on MY hobby (shooting). Same goes for boaters.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Slight deviation off-topic: every golfer I know spends way more money each year than I do on MY hobby (shooting). Same goes for boaters.
    Funny, I spend wayyyy more money on shooting than I do...on golf. And I attempt do both weekly, weather permitting.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Very cool! Havent carried golfing yet, as I never have time to golf! Why not make a golf course/rifle range; Drive the ball then pull out your best rifle and nail it 200 yds or so down range. Although some of my friends could hit their ball with a handgun after their tee shot, and it is NOT because they are that good with a pistol.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    Very cool! Havent carried golfing yet, as I never have time to golf! Why not make a golf course/rifle range; Drive the ball then pull out your best rifle and nail it 200 yds or so down range. Although some of my friends could hit their ball with a handgun after their tee shot, and it is NOT because they are that good with a pistol.
    Let's see....replace my driver with an AR-15.

My long irons would be a combination of M-14, M1 Garand, 1903 Springfield, Mosin-Nagant 91/30 and perhaps an M1 Carbine and the back up SKS and AK-47.

Short irons the 1911 .45, a .40, .357 a 9mm, .380 and .32 acp. My putter would be a .22 or .25 apc.

Yeah, I could see that.
    BigJon10125 and Poseidon like this.

Gun Golf, like Disc Golf, you get to carry up to 14 "tools" and the object is to ring the steel in as few a shots in the least time possible. But the target is .5" round. I foresee problems with the weight of your bag.
    BigJon10125 and JoJoGunn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ghost tracker View Post
    Gun Golf, like Disc Golf, you get to carry up to 14 "tools" and the object is to ring the steel in as few a shots in the least time possible. But the target is .5" round. I foresee problems with the weight of your bag.
    I think we are on to something, even if it has strayed from the original topic. I like it.

I foresee problems with the weight of your bag.
    That's why we have powerlifter's for caddies.
    pgrass101 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    Now Gun golf is a sport I could get into.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Now Gun golf is a sport I could get into.
    I can imagine what the Pro Shop looks like. Maybe they'd have a big .50 caliber rifle on the counter?

Body armour might be one of the other things required. Yelling "fore" just may not be enough.
    pgrass101 likes this.

[QUOTE=JoJoGunn;2390230]I can imagine what the Pro Shop looks like. Maybe they'd have a big .50 caliber rifle on the counter?[QUOTE]

That'd be the John Daly 'Big Dawg'

Quote Originally Posted by mprp View Post
    I love golfing and have done it carrying IWB and just like in any other activity, don't really notice that it's there.
    Speak for yourself..... there's NO holster that keeps my 'short iron' in any kind of comfortable place while on the course. The pistol gets regulated to it's own special zipper pouch on my bag when on the course. I have to do everything I can to keep my ball in play and swinging with 'two irons' just don't help.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You mean you DON'T have a scattergun in your bag? What if some pesky duck tries to hatch your ball? I may take up golf when I get old enough.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links