The Press...

This is a discussion on The Press... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know, take everything from the media with a grain of salt... I have several news apps on my ipad and with my morning coffee ...

Thread: The Press...

Angry The Press...

I know, take everything from the media with a grain of salt... I have several news apps on my ipad and with my morning coffee and then again in the evening, I'll bounce between several local and national apps to read the news (can't stand to watch it on TV) So tonight, I'm bouncing and I hit on Huffington Post's app. One of the headlines is "Another Russian Roulette Death" Huh...I remember reading an article within the last few months on that, another one has made the news? Nope...turns out they've recycled the article and have it in the "News" stream as if it's new news. The original date on the article is 5-9-2012 with an updated date of 6-09-12! The worse thing is the article made me crazy when I read it a few months ago, with the headline "another russian roulette death" implying it's a problem that's out of control, yet it discussed 5 deaths - 5 nationwide.

I know...I know - my blood pressure would stay down if I just not read Huffington Post! I can't help myself though, I like to have a variety of news outlets.

The original article in case anyone cares Dion Von Mays Dies Playing Russian Roulette In San Bernardino, After Other Deaths By Deadly Game (I guess the catchy headline was just for the app.)

2. Remove Ads

What bugs me is that even with a variety of news outlets, it seems like they all have the same stories.

C'mon, is there nothing else happening in the world?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

when it comes to guns and the media, i'd advise more like a teaspoon of salt.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Better than drunk Russian roulette - You use a semi-auto.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Slow day at the post apparently. You know how gun stories sell apps
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

5 ... in a nation of 200M adults and 200M firearms, with overall violent crime trending downward over the past 30yrs.

"Grain of salt" is one of those life lessons that Mom and Dad taught me early. Multiple sources, multiple days, and a bit of breathing space 'til the truth really comes out. Particularly with "bleeder-leader" type stories (I hesitate to call such things 'news'), that's about all one can do.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    One way of cleansing humanity's gene pool.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

What I found that was even worse than somebody playing ruskie roulette was a few years back when our Soldiers were playing the "Trust Me" game where they would point a firearm at their buddy and say trust me,if he answered yes they would pull the trigger,in a few instances there was a chambered round
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    What I found that was even worse than somebody playing ruskie roulette was a few years back when our Soldiers were playing the "Trust Me" game where they would point a firearm at their buddy and say trust me,if he answered yes they would pull the trigger,in a few instances there was a chambered round
    What the hell?

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Links