A different type of panhandling

This is a discussion on A different type of panhandling within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have been riding mass transit here of late. I typically buy all day passes which lets you ride unlimited until end of day (which ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: A different type of panhandling

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

I have been riding mass transit here of late. I typically buy all day passes which lets you ride unlimited until end of day (which I think is like midnight or 2 am).

As I get off the train, there are typically people who wait at the exits and ask people if they can have their tickets. Basically, they just repeat the phrase "anyone have a ticket they are done with?" to no one in particular. They don't approach anyone or menace people like a typical panhandler. As I am coming home at 5 pm, I am essentially done with the pass but there is still a lot of time on it. It seems a waste NOT to let some one else use it, but I have resisted so far figuring I paid for it to use the transit system, so can they.

I would like to get others' opinions as to this type of panhandling.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    It is yours to do with as you will.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    It is yours to do with as you will.
    My thoughts as well, typically I give nothing to a panhandler no matter how heart wrenching their story is.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Every domain in the animal kingdom has its scavengers.

Deal with them as you please, but my own view is that they are like sea gulls and pigeons. The more people feed them, the more of them will hang around and the more you'll have to deal with their by-products.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

I am not sure what else they could be doing with them, but they get some good out of them.

I knew one panhandler that made more annually than the Paramedics in the same city.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Quote Originally Posted by stevem174 View Post
    I am not sure what else they could be doing with them, but they get some good out of them.

I knew one panhandler that made more annually than the Paramedics in the same city.
    a relative of mine works a pretty nice job and she said that some of her bosses will go out on the street dressed like crap and panhandle for some money when they get off work... you can get a decent amount of money doing that

What do you do with it? Throw it away?
    --Jason--

Allowing multiple users to use the same ticket seems wrong to me. Its like going to an all you can eat buffet then letting your ten friends all eat from your plate.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Allowing multiple users to use the same ticket seems wrong to me. Its like going to an all you can eat buffet then letting your ten friends all eat from your plate.
    It is ethically wrong, of course. A good way to help drive the metro transportation to the brink, financially speaking. Portland's got a lot of such cheating going on, mostly outright failure to purchase a ticket. Apparently these "scavengers" are honest cheaters.
    DrahtDog likes this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

One way to look at it is if they have lower ticket sales than expected they will probably increase the ticket price,so by giving your ticket to somebody who would otherwise need to buy one you may be creating a situation that ends up costing you more and they still ride free
    DrahtDog likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Offer them a half price discount,see how much they really want it.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

To me, it's like guys I knew in college who devised & exercised very, very clever & exhaustive ways to cheat on difficult exams. I always told them that if they were bright & resourceful enough to do ALL THAT STUFF, then they were MORE THAN capable of simply...studying the material & passing the damn test! Don't you figure, if the time & effort they spend trying to acquire free public transportation was dedicated to a capital enterprise, they could then afford to BUY A PASS?
    ExactlyMyPoint likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

By giving them the ticket you are in truth helping them to commit a fraud. You are aiding them in stealing. Yes it may seem a bit harsh but it is still true. The issue here is one of character. If we cheat in the little things we may soon find ourselves cheating in larger things. Indeed it is like going to a buffet and letting others eat from your plate. Even though it is a small thing it is theft plain and simple. what we do when we think no one will know about it is a indicator of who we really are.

VIP Member
    I'd say you'd be encouraging panhandling and undermining the income of your local transit system.
    barstoolguru likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Case by case basis.

Old lady/young lady with a baby,,,,etc, etc, I might give it up once in a while .
    You know they are in need and could use the extra couple dollars they would save by buying a pass on their own.
    Would I give it to the same mooches I might encounter at the same stop every night?
    Probably not.
    I would rather die with good men than hide with cowards
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy."

M&Pc .357sig, 2340Sigpro .357sig

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links