Lady bags big bear. Is this really a challenge anymore.

This is a discussion on Lady bags big bear. Is this really a challenge anymore. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Waupaca Co. woman bags 485 pound bear Look, I am a vegetarian (95 percent of the time). When I eat meat it is free range ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Lady bags big bear. Is this really a challenge anymore.

Lady bags big bear. Is this really a challenge anymore.

Waupaca Co. woman bags 485 pound bear

Look, I am a vegetarian (95 percent of the time). When I eat meat it is free range or from a friends hunts. I do not oppose hunting for food purposes only. But I do not consider it a sport when folks use bait and trail camera's to hunt.

I am not saying to go out with a knife and a loin cloth. Just if you want to call it a sport and a challenge, leave the technology and bait at home.

Both had been watching the area for the past couple weeks with some trail cameras, baiting the area on a friend’s piece of farmland.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Sport or trophy hunting with disregard for the meat and other usable parts is one thing, but if the hunters utilize every aspect of the kill does it really matter if they shoot it after watching it on a game camera? It isn't any less dead, nor is the meat any less good.

I guess I'm biased because back in Maine people sit on their porch watching a salt lick from 100 feet with guns ready. Sounds unsportsmanlike, but they used every part of that deer.

Edit: I see now that you were speaking more specifically to the 'challenge' portion of hunting. Yes, I agree with you that nowadays people make it a bit easier on themselves than was previously available.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

I agree we should outlaw it all. And really who needs high cap mags and semi auto firearms at all. If you want to be a firearm enthusiast dont go shooting all these high tech smokeless cartridges, semi autos, high cap magazines, scoeps, red dots, etc. I mean really is it a shooting sport anymore with all this technology? Fortunately your opinion means absolutely nothing to me, most hunters, and the state of Texas. Sounds like you might fit in over in California, hear they have great tofu over there. You can always hunt with traditional archery gear if thats what blows your skirt up, thats the great thing about having freedom to choose your own methods.
    msgt/ret and mrm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DrahtDog View Post
    I agree we should outlaw it all. And really who needs high cap mags and semi auto firearms at all. If you want to be a firearm enthusiast dont go shooting all these high tech smokeless cartridges, semi autos, high cap magazines, scoeps, red dots, etc. I mean really is it a shooting sport anymore with all this technology? Fortunately your opinion means absolutely nothing to me, most hunters, and the state of Texas. Sounds like you might fit in over in California, hear they have great tofu over there. You can always hunt with traditional archery gear if thats what blows your skirt up, thats the great thing about having freedom to choose your own methods.
    Chill out dude. If you don't like an opinion don't read it. I highly suggest some decaf next time you start a post.

There is a difference in using what you can get your hands on to defend yourself and using technology and bait to kill something.

I never said to not use it if you took the time from your rant to bother reading my post

I believe I even said I don't expectt one to go out with a knife and loin cloth.

The point of the post was that if YOU do elect to use technology to make it that much easier for you then I would not use the word "sport" or challenge. If the goal is to get meat then more power to you.

But coming back with a prize that was not that difficult to track or kill IMO is not "sport"
    Last edited by suntzu; September 16th, 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: I hate tofu
    Dandyone likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Baiting animal just takes challenge out of it. Sometimes the journey before kill is more memorable than kill itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Baiting animal just takes challenge out of it. Sometimes the journey before kill is more memorable than kill itself.
    Thank you. That is all I am saying......

[Some] people who bowhunt say hunting with a rifle isn't sporting - you can shoot something from 500 yds away; primitive archery ... compound bows; etc. Some states it's legal to bait deer as well. What about fishing with hooks and live bait vs. with a spear? What about commercial fishermen with those huge nets? - are they unethical? I think it's still better than raising cows/pigs in cramped stalls until slaughtered. It's all a matter of degrees and different ways to harvest. Never done it, but some places that the way it's always been done, same with dogs (which I think is worse, at least the bear is happily munching away instead of being run down).

Little research says one reason, aside from getting an animal in a fairly precise location and the reclusive/nocturnal nature of bears, is to make sure the bear doesn't have cubs - which stay with mom for 1.5 years, not a mere 5 months like deer and pigs. It's not like male bears have a sign telling the sex like deer do. Also, getting an animal in a particular location probably decreases the chances of taking marginal shots like are routinely taken at deer. A big reason against baiting deer is to keep them from crowding each other while eating which can spread disease - not applicable to bear. Some claim it makes it merely possible to take one as with no bait, the chances of seeing one is very rare. If you take all the possibility out of filling a tag, no one or very few will buy the tag.

As long as the meat is used, what does it matter. Their populations need to be managed, better to let someone buy a tag (fuel the economy and fund management research, education, etc) than homeowners have to deal with bears in their neighborhoods.

Its the holier than thou attitude that gets me. Everyone has their own definition of sport. How about our dogs, should we not use them to track game? It is ok to use them to retrieve game? It is unsportsman like that we train them then use their superior senses to give us an edge? Why worry about what other folks do own there own property, and what they call it or what it means to them? Just like why worry about what weapons other people should or shouldnt own. Alot of us use bait etc. To help jump start the next generation into hunting. These methods produce alot more game sightings. We get them a taste of success, teach them the basics then build upon that then wean them off the crutches and make them a real hunter. Its tough to take a child out and have him track and kill his first deer with a bow and arrow. Sorry if Im sounding like Im being a richard head it just rubs me the wrong way when someone wants to talk about how easy it is to do this or that when they really have no idea whether it is or isnt easy. The terrain, game population, and many other factors may still make baiting challenging in some locations. I havent had much caffeine but I was tired from this mornings duck hunt and fell asleep watching football so I am full of energy right now. So I have to ask how many big game kills do you have under your belt? More specifically how many bear kills?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    paragraphs please

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Subsistence hunting is horrible for game animals. Why? Because a subsistence hunter /has/ to bring back food. No matter if it's a doe with young, if it's a pair of fawns, if it's the last of the breed. Bring back meat, or the family goes hungry.

We have more white tail deer now than when Columbus came over, yet they were on the edge of extinction around 1900. What happened? Sports hunters got game laws passed, limiting seasons and numbers of animals that could be taken. Fur bearers, same thing, but a different bunch.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nedrgr21 View Post
    [Some] people who bowhunt say hunting with a rifle isn't sporting - you can shoot something from 500 yds away; primitive archery ... compound bows; etc. Some states it's legal to bait deer as well. What about fishing with hooks and live bait vs. with a spear? What about commercial fishermen with those huge nets? - are they unethical? I think it's still better than raising cows/pigs in cramped stalls until slaughtered. It's all a matter of degrees and different ways to harvest. Never done it, but some places that the way it's always been done, same with dogs (which I think is worse, at least the bear is happily munching away instead of being run down). Little research says one reason, aside from getting an animal in a fairly precise location and the reclusive/nocturnal nature of bears, is to make sure the bear doesn't have cubs - which stay with mom for 1.5 years, not a mere 5 months like deer and pigs. It's not like male bears have a sign telling the sex like deer do. Also, getting an animal in a particular location probably decreases the chances of taking marginal shots like are routinely taken at deer. A big reason against baiting deer is to keep them from crowding each other while eating which can spread disease - not applicable to bear. Some claim it makes it merely possible to take one as with no bait, the chances of seeing one is very rare. If you take all the possibility out of filling a tag, no one or very few will buy the tag.
    As long as the meat is used, what does it matter. Their populations need to be managed, better to let someone buy a tag (fuel the economy and fund management research, education, etc) than homeowners have to deal with bears in their neighborhoods.

^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

Suntzu
    If you think baiting is so easy, try it sometime.

I don't bear hunt, but if I did, baiting would be the only option of the two here. I don't have 6 bear dogs, and can't afford to hire a guide who does.
    You would be suprised how low the percentage of success is for bear hunting in Mi. is by both means,(baiting and dogs)
    If you watch them do it on an outdoor show, they sure make it look easy, but that ain't reality for sure.
    phreddy likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    [/B]

^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^

Suntzu
    If you think baiting is so easy, try it sometime.

I don't bear hunt, but if I did, baiting would be the only option of the two here. I don't have 6 bear dogs, and can't afford to hire a guide who does.
    You would be suprised how low the percentage of success is for bear hunting in Mi. is by both means,(baiting and dogs)
    If you watch them do it on an outdoor show, they sure make it look easy, but that ain't reality for sure.
    I never said I never hunted. I did frequently rwoing up in NH. I am not ignorant of the techniques.
    IMO the more you use bait and technology the less skill is needed. The less skill the less sport. Just my opinion.

Again, Go kill something in a cage if it floats your boat. Just don't go showing it off like a hard fought trophy

I guess I'm not gonna be showing off the 4.85 ounce mouse I trapped last night by using some gourmet cheese in a trap that he just couldn't resist
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

With private lands being most of what Texas is made of you can't go tracking game for miles. You have to bait them into your property.
    mrm likes this.
    Glock 20sf, Glock 19 gen4, Glock 26 gen3, Colt 1911 Series 80

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    I guess I'm not gonna be showing off the 4.85 ounce mouse I trapped last night by using some gourmet cheese in a trap that he just couldn't resist
    I need to change my bait my biggest was 3 ½ ounces using Jif peanut butter.
    darkstar11 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links