Jury Duty!!!

This is a discussion on Jury Duty!!! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; On National Constitution day no less! Be jealous. Sorry as a history teacher this is how I am trying to make it fun......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Jury Duty!!!

Jury Duty!!!

On National Constitution day no less! Be jealous.

Sorry as a history teacher this is how I am trying to make it fun...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

2. Remove Ads

May not be fun but the few times that I served I found it to be quite interesting. Not so much the case but the reasoning of some others on the jury.

Michael

VIP Member
    Only served on a jury once, double homicide. As mir1m said it is interesting trying to figure out the thought process of the other jurors. One thing I was disappointed with was the constant questioning as to whether the rights of the accused may have been violated, yet he denied the victims the most basic of rights.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Only served on a jury once, double homicide. As mir1m said it is interesting trying to figure out the thought process of the other jurors. One thing I was disappointed with was the constant questioning as to whether the rights of the accused may have been violated, yet he denied the victims the most basic of rights.
    I hope you came to this conclusion after you looked at all the evidence.
    Just busting your chops.

Michael

I was chosen for jury duty and really wanted to be dismissed from serving. I tried every excuse I could think of but none of them worked. On the day of the trial, I decided to give it one more shot. As the trial was about to begin, I asked if I could approach the bench.

"Your Honor," I said, "I must be excused from this trial because I am prejudiced against the defendant. I took one look at the man in the blue suit with those beady eyes and that dishonest face and I said 'He's a crook! He's guilty!' So, your Honor, I cannot possibly stay on this jury!"

With a tired annoyance the judge replied, "Get back in the jury box, you fool. That man is the defendant's lawyer."

Seriously, have fun!
    mlr1m, msgt/ret, 357and40 and 2 others like this.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Never actually served, but was told we are on break and to come back in the early afternoon. It's been boring to this point, but not as horrible as so many make it seem. Not my first time either fyi
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

If you get called to jury duty, just wear a shooting jacket with a NRA patch. One side or the other will NOT want you on the jury...just sayin'
    Poseidon likes this.
    Amateurs practice until they get it right. Professionals practice until they canít get it wrong..

Quote Originally Posted by DaGunny View Post
    If you get called to jury duty, just wear a shooting jacket with a NRA patch. One side or the other will NOT want you on the jury...just sayin'
    If you are ever in the position of needing a good jury would you want them taking your advice? Sitting on a jury is one of the few ways a private citizen and rule on not only a persons innocence or guilt, but the justness of the law itself.

Michael
    JDE101 likes this.

I was supposed to serve at a state level a couple months ago. Apparently the state of Connecticut never got the memo that I checked out over a year and a half ago. So I called them up (because I wasnt paying for postage on their mail) and magicaly they didnt have my file available. They told me to call back the day after juror selection. Hope Im not held in contempt cuz I didnt show up or call back. Not my fault that good ole Connecticut is behind on times and record keeping for that matter.

I forgot to mention that the summons for jury duty was issued and mailed to my Tennessee address.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

I am sitting here reading "The Zombie survival guide" by Max Brooks. Hope that doesn't get me in trouble!
    BigJon

Senior Moderator
    The absolute fastest way to get off of a jury is to ask what their position on "jury nullification" is.

Look it up.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by BigJon10125 View Post
    On National Constitution day no less! Be jealous.

Sorry as a history teacher this is how I am trying to make it fun...
    If you're responsible and intelligent enough to matter, you're quite capable in making all the difference. (Better than the run-of-the-mill "peers" that seem to get on so many juries.) A Jury's an interesting opportunity to do just that. And if you're lucky, it might even be a history-making case.

Revel in it, 'cause it doesn't come 'round all that often (for most of us).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    As mir1m said it is interesting trying to figure out the thought process of the other jurors.
    That's one way to put it ...

I got called called for my first and only jury duty are few years ago. Because of a hectic work schedule, I had the juvenile opinion that I should "get out of it". On random luck, I made it to jury section for an aggravated burglary and attempted assault case. I dressed for the part in my finest skater snowboarder grunge- unshaven, ripped jeans, hoodie, flip flops, various necklaces and beanie with the bill turned sideways. I was SURE that nobody would want me on the jury looking like that...

Well, when the interviews started, I had to state my profession as a research engineer and prior service as an Army O3. I guess that did the trick, as I ended up be a primary juror. At our first meeting, it was clear that we were going to be here for weeks unless either the retired United Airline pilot or I served as the foreman. The pilot deferred, and here I was, serving as foreman on my first jury ever wearing a Volcom knit hat and Reef flip flops.

Both sides did horrible jobs, with the junior DA prosecutor failing to make a congruent case, and the junior public defender shooting themselves in the foot. In that situation, the only acceptable verdict is "Not Guilty", even if we were sure something did happen.

After the verdict was read, we actually got permission from the judge to call the prosecution and defense teams into our jury room and read them the riot act about how poor the case was conducted.

I have not gotten called back. Maybe there is a note in my file...

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The absolute fastest way to get off of a jury is to ask what their position on "jury nullification" is.

Look it up.
    Very true, but its the best reason for serving on a jury.

Michael

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links