Personal responsibility rant

This is a discussion on Personal responsibility rant within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am sick and tired of people lacking any sort of personal responsibility, just sick and tired. I am so fed up with people who ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: Personal responsibility rant

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar

Personal responsibility rant

I am sick and tired of people lacking any sort of personal responsibility, just sick and tired. I am so fed up with people who just think they can do whatever they want whenever they want and suffer no consequences, and not only that, but when there ARE consequences a solution is just expected appear.

I work at the local hospital, and it saddens and frustrates me. Typical patient; 40-60 year old (getting younger and younger) who has eaten fast food or processed foods their entire life, exercised little to none, smoked two packs a day, and drank like a fish. Throw recreational drug use in there for every fourth one. Typical problem's they may now be having; hypertension, diabetes, MI's, congestive heart failure, chronic renal failure, and my personal favorite, "chronic pain". This is the norm.

90% of the health problems I see are preventable simply by eating a little better, getting outside 30 minutes a day, not smoking, and drinking in moderation. 1/3 of our children are already obese. Show's like 'Honey Boo Boo' get better rating's than the Dem and Rep National Conventions. Murderer's and rapist's can get out of jail in 12 years or less (and we wonder why people are willing to commit crime?).

Yet we blame. That's what American's do, we blame. It's not our faults, it's Obama's, or it's Bush's, or it's Fill in the blank. People complain that being proactive and seeing a doctor is too expensive and they can't afford it, but they sure as heck are able to afford a $70 satellite tv bill, and an $80 dollar cellphone bill (I love seeing patients on AHCCCS - Arizona's Medicaid - using their smartphone, hell I can't even afford one). Priorities I guess.

I love folks who blame taxes, who try to avoid paying them, and who duck around them exc. exc. Well guess what? Get off my streets, take your kid out of my school, find your own sewer and water system, call your own police force when you want to report something, and field your own damn military force. Am I trying to say our government is perfect? No. But the government is made up of people like you and me, people who do a job to pay the mortgage.

The problems we face now didn't come from Bush, or Obama, or any other one specific political official. They came from us, and from an attitude of entitlement and complacency. Who do you think the government get's their cue's from? You and me. Why would you think that when the every day person spends more then they make, has debt out the wazoo, borrows from this credit agency and that credit agency that the government would be any different? The healthcare and economic crisis's didn't come from one specific thing, they were building for a long long time, and much of the fault lies with us, and conversely we are the ones who have the ability to bring the country out of it.

If you want someone to blame, blame Wallstreet. Blame sensationalist media. Blame you and me.

I am sorry if that was a negative rant. I love this country, and I am immensely proud to live in it, but some things I find so darn frustrating, and one of those things is our constant need to blame others.

I am going to go grab my guns, shoot some stuff, and slowly relax.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    We've interfered with natural selection and survival of the fittest.

Don't work. Stay home. Eat too much. Drink too much, and vote for the guy that promises the most free stuff.

'Oops - I thought I was on conservativestronghold.com.

@ the OP
    Why did you stop!? I am doing an essay on personal responsibility for college. It has to be 1500 words...keep going. You stopped at 575
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Personal Privilege is taught from K - 16, but they conveniently skip the personal accountability part of the equation.
    tcox4freedom and mr.stuart like this.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    @ the OP
    Why did you stop!? I am doing an essay on personal responsibility for college. It has to be 1500 words...keep going. You stopped at 575
    I would laugh at the irony if I didn't remember how people usually end up coming up with college essay material...

No need to appologize for the shortcomings of others. You are absoloutley right in what you have said. And not many days pass where I dont think about it myself.

I have treated patients in respritory distress who are on home oxygen with every major respritory disease and are smoking when I get there. I have treated patients upwards of 800lbs warranting specialized stretchers and ambulances equiped with ramps and winches. There is no accountability or integrity in our society today.

Looking at younger generations, I see little hope for the future. Parents cant be parents anymore because they are judged for discipline towards their child, they are afraid of their child or in many cases they dont care because the child is just a source of income. This is a major problem that I fear will become job security and major growth for healtcare providers, social workers and LEOs in a near future.

And dont get me started on $800 junker cars sitting on $4,000+ worth of lift kits, rims and tires.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

“Personal responsibility only can exist if people have free will and they exercise it. Personal responsibility cannot exist independent of choice. In personally choosing to act, individuals are saying explicitly or implicitly: I will accept the consequences of my actions”
    In essence we (society) allow folks to slide by giving them what they need or not allowing choices where they can make mistakes and learn from them. (zero tolerance policies inhibit free will thus alleviating folks of personal responsibility.)

We need to hold people to the fire and let them make their own choices and let them live with the consequences.
    tcox4freedom likes this.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

The road to hell is paved by good intentions. That is how this started, good intentions. No more poverty. If you can't do it, we will help. But, now it went from can't do it to won't do it. Why should I? I agree with Dennis Miller. I want and will help the helpless, but not the clueless. If you cannot, I will help. If you can and choose not to, you are on your own.

Example: On her way to school, my 17 yrd old daughter got her first flat tire on her car. Drove out to her knowing I would be late for work. She just wanted a ride to school and then wanted me to go back and change the tire for her. I refused saying this is part of car ownership responsibility. We changed it together so now she knows how. She was late for school and I was late for work, but I stressed this is part of life and how we need to deal with these types of things. Made her drive the car to the tire place after school to get a new tire. She had to learn that with freedom comes responsibility. Lessoned learned.

PS I stilled paid for the new tire, I am not an oger afterall.
    No trees were harmed in the construction of this post. However a large number of electrons were indiscriminately aroused.

Yet we blame. That's what American's do, we blame. It's not our faults, it's Obama's, or it's Bush's, or it's Fill in the blank.
    I blame those 32 oz soft drinks.
    mr.stuart likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I blame those 32 oz soft drinks.
    Nothing better than a tripple whopper, large fries and large DIET coke!
    mr.stuart likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Personal Responsibility, a sense of integrity and a moral compass would solve 98% of what ails people, IMO.

As for grousing about the other ills out there, or when lack of those things show up as direct cause for what went wrong in a given instance, IMO it's well worth pointing directly to the cause and the culprit(s). It's only when it's unwarranted and we, ourselves, are to blame that seeking pointing the finger elsewhere (away from the root cause) falls short of the mark.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    We've interfered with natural selection and survival of the fittest.

Don't work. Stay home. Eat too much. Drink too much, and vote for the guy that promises the most free stuff.

'Oops - I thought I was on conservativestronghold.com.
    Wait so I'm not just being a jerk when I say stupid people are supposed to die????
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    Nothing better than a tripple whopper, large fries and large DIET coke!
    Wrong, Nothing better than a triple whopper, large fry, 64oz milk (vit D of course) then a smoke....God bless america, and the choice.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

A wise man once told me that when they took prayer out of school and TVs were now in everyone's home is when this country started to fail. I don't agree 100% with that statement, but it sure hasn't helped.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Quote Originally Posted by mano3 View Post
    A wise man once told me that when they took prayer out of school and TVs were now in everyone's home is when this country started to fail. I don't agree 100% with that statement, but it sure hasn't helped.
    Yep, that and the gold standard......
    mano3 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links