Do We Need a Gun Shop in our Neighbourhood?

This is a discussion on Do We Need a Gun Shop in our Neighbourhood? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I can't believe I actually used to live in this area of Huntington, WV. Some person wrote to Voice of the People to "protest" a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Do We Need a Gun Shop in our Neighbourhood?

Do We Need a Gun Shop in our Neighbourhood?

I can't believe I actually used to live in this area of Huntington, WV. Some person wrote to Voice of the People to "protest" a proposed "gun shop" opening up there. It's mixed residential/commercial area that most of it has been acquired by St. Mary's Hospital, so yes, it could happen. Of course the "comments" to the person's letter are priceless.

All voices - The Herald Dispatch
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Of course they need a gun shop. Every neighborhood in America needs one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Why not? There's probably a liquor store nearby.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Ms Cindy Jeffords says "A gun shop in our midst, again, I say, preposterous!"

Well that must just be the end of it, harumph, harumph.
    GCO Member
    NRA Member
    NRA RSO & Certified Basic Pistol Instructor

I am suddenly reminded of an early episode of Family Guy where the Y2K apocolypse happens. Peter starts a new community as its mayor amd creates new guns using the irrigation system. When justifying his actions to the comunity he says, "A chicken in every pot and a cap in every..." well you fill in the blanks.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Wish I had one in my neighborhood!!!
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

There are a few things that should be in a small town. A bar, we do have one neighborhood bar in our little one horse town and while I haven't gone there to drink in years they have great wings and cheese sticks. A Church, at least one. A bank, a gas station, a doctor, a dentist and a gun shop.
    Ionracas, msgt/ret and BurgerBoy like this.
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

Quote Originally Posted by minimalbrat View Post
    There are a few things that should be in a small town. A bar, we do have one neighborhood bar in our little one horse town and while I haven't gone there to drink in years they have great wings and cheese sticks. A Church, at least one. A bank, a gas station, a doctor, a dentist and a gun shop.
    +1

No stop lights though. Once a small town gets its first stop light, its the begining of the end.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Gun shop

Heck, I wish we had a gun shop in town, all we have is pawn shop...

There are a few in my town, many within ten minutes. Pretty fortunate I suppose...I didn't even consider that when we moved into the place.
    'Fortes Fortuna Juvat'
    NRA Member
    NRA Life of Duty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    +1

No stop lights though. Once a small town gets its first stop light, its the begining of the end.
    This. It's ridiculous now. And we also have too many bars. I can think of 6 off the top of my head. We have one actual gun shop, and then a hardware store that sells guns too.

If somebody wanted to open a gun store in my neighborhood, I'd be all for it! Some people just think they're the center of the universe. Hopefully it gets approved and ole' Cindy Jeffords can find out that her opinion really doesn't matter.

VIP Member
    Wonder how shrill her reaction would be if someone wanted to open an adult bookstore.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by Steve666 View Post
    Wish I had one in my neighborhood!!!
    Me too. I have to drive 30 miles to the closest range/LGS. Nuts. I tried to talk my wife into opening one in our area. Ugh that was like a fa*t in church.
    BA
    Kahr CM9, Beretta PX4 SC .40, Ruger LCP/LM, Dan Wesson .357, Beretta 21A .22, Four Aces .22, H&R .22, Marlin .22 rifle and 1946 Remington 12 gauge.

We need Cindy Jeffords in this world…well actually the next one. When the balloon goes up and anarchy rules the day it’ll be nice to have some dim-witted, nave, unarmed victims for the BGs. That will take the load off of us prepared for Life (self defense), Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Sounds preposterous, does it not? Fact of the matter, it is preposterous!
    Opinion.

What does our community need with a gun shop of all things, located right across the street from a residential area?
    Ease of access for law-abiding citizens, instead of having to travel well outside of town for such items.

Disregard the fact it will not meet the specified purposes of a Neighborhood Commercial District, unless conveniently providing guns to residents ...
    Opinion.

The Huntington Planning Commission essentially overruled the voice of the community present that night.
    My guess is that the percentage of the community that attended that one discussion was a small one.

Now the issue goes to City Council. Will they disregard the voice of the community as well?
    The "voice" being that of a few residents at one meeting, she means.

Perspective and balance: that's one thing the writer could use. Proper use of the word "fact" wouldn't hurt, either.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links