The journalistic equivalent of "OC baiting" French mag's Mohammed cartoon

This is a discussion on The journalistic equivalent of "OC baiting" French mag's Mohammed cartoon within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Only many more people will be killed. French magazine publishes naked cartoon of Mohammed, was firebombed last year for less severe cartoon. France is closing ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: The journalistic equivalent of "OC baiting" French mag's Mohammed cartoon

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

The journalistic equivalent of "OC baiting" French mag's Mohammed cartoon

Only many more people will be killed. French magazine publishes naked cartoon of Mohammed, was firebombed last year for less severe cartoon. France is closing virtually all embassies in Muslim countries.

I bet all the liberal minds will praise and rejoice of this bold journalistic event.

It occurs to me that there really is no "concealed" relevant to the First Amendment.

France to close embassies in fear of cartoon backlash - FRANCE - FRANCE 24
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

We (the Western Christian World) should close all of the Embassies in Muslim countries and cut off aid.

Let them fight it out (as is their want) and we'll pick up the pieces afterwards.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I do not see the comparison at all. The OC baiter is trying to get a police reaction so as to gin up some sort of false arrest claim, the other is showing a certain group of people that others will not be cowered into not exercising their free speech rights. I would discuss further but I fear this will go political. Don't want to violate forum rules...
    ArkhmAsylm likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Administrator
    Some of you folks are obviously too young to remember the Bugs Bunny CARTOON riots back when Elmer Fudd called Bugs a "No Good Cwazie Wasskellwie Wabbit!" and said that he was going to "bwoe his bwaines out."
    The roadrunner was dragged through the streets. Popeye and Brutus were killed and Olive Oil was nearly starved to death.
    Snow White was decapitated and all seven dwarfs were imprisoned under horrible conditions.
    Poor Mel Blank had his tounge cut out right before Disney Studios was burnt to the ground.
    And you don't even want to know what happened to Tweety Bird.

Messin' with Cartoons is no joke man!
    RichB70, OD*, BurgerBoy and 3 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I do not see the comparison at all. The OC baiter is trying to get a police reaction so as to gin up some sort of false arrest claim, the other is showing a certain group of people that others will not be cowered into not exercising their free speech rights.
    The French magazine is trying to get a Muslim reaction so as to gin up some sort of retaliation claim, the other is showing the police that others will not be cowered into not exercising their 2nd amendment rights.
    mlr1m likes this.

I wish they'd done something clever instead of NSFW. The Jyllands-Posten Muhammad cartoons were an order-of-magnitude more clever. Even the winners of Reason magazine's "everybody draw Mohammed" contest were entirely more clever.

NSFW? Welcome to junior high
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Some of you folks are obviously too young to remember the Bugs Bunny CARTOON riots back when Elmer Fudd called Bugs a "No Good Cwazie Wasskellwie Wabbit!" and said that he was going to "bwoe his bwaines out."
    The roadrunner was dragged through the streets. Popeye and Brutus were killed and Olive Oil was nearly starved to death.
    Snow White was decapitated and all seven dwarfs were imprisoned under horrible conditions.
    Poor Mel Blank had his tounge cut out right before Disney Studios was brunt to the ground.

I remember Warner Bros. cartoons very well. Grew up in the 50's, looked forward to Saturday morning.
    QKShooter and msgt/ret like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Poor Mel Blank had his tounge cut out right before Disney Studios was brunt to the ground.

THAT'S WHERE I REMEMBER YOU FROM!!!!! We were on the same paddy wagon ride after the Disney firebombing! I still feel bad for Tweety, I think the tar and de-feathering was kind of harsh. Someone should have stopped Sylvester from doing it.
    QKShooter likes this.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I do not see the comparison at all. The OC baiter is trying to get a police reaction so as to gin up some sort of false arrest claim, the other is showing a certain group of people that others will not be cowered into not exercising their free speech rights. I would discuss further but I fear this will go political. Don't want to violate forum rules...
    I do see the comparison to the extent that each is trying to gain something. Maybe not the same thing but something. I think they're just trying to start crap to gain publicity and that's about the easiest way for them to gain it worldwide. I mean come on, no one has to be afraid of these people but on the flip side, no one needs to be going around the playground slapping all of the other kids just to prove it either.

And just because it's legal or a right doesn't mean that it's always a good idea. He says, "...we're just doing our job." And what is their job, intentionally messing with the masses? Geeze, come on people! And I am not sympathizing with any side or religion; I just simply don't see the point in defaming anyone's religion, no matter what that might be. So as far as my opinion to the OC baiter vs. the religious degrading, I think both are kind of silly.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

Distinguished Member Array Knightrider's Avatar
    Screw that. I say we should so the cartoon in every single news station across the globe. I'm so tired of hearing about this
    Eagleks and nedrgr21 like this.
    Glock: G22 .40 S&W and G23 .40 S&W Sig Sauer: P938 9mm Smith and Wesson: Model 437 .38 Spl, Model 65 357 Mag, and Sigma SW9VE 9mm

Bean Counter: "Boss, our subscriptions are WAY down. I think we're in trouble."
    Boss: "Holy Crap! We've got to do something! What can we do to get more people to buy our worthless rag, get world-wide attention AND tick off the Government?"
    Lackey: "Hey, I got an idea...."
    darbo and mprp like this.
    KNOWLEDGE: A tomato is a fruit.
    WISDOM: Not putting a tomato in a fruit salad.

For embassies : Just put those one guns on the roof, that shoot 6000 rds per minute, and can be set up to a motion detector and heat senors. Then put up a nice sign, anyone who proceeds beyond this sign will be shot. If you need help or to enter, please us the phone behind you and dial "0". If they walk or run past the sign, 1/2 second of fire will fill them with a lot of holes.

Will the Aegis system work fast enough on an RPG if it were fired at the building ?

I can think of a lot of cartoons that would tick them off a lot more than that one.
    Zsnake likes this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

This all could have been avoided if the prophet had only open carried.......
    CanuckQue likes this.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Knightrider View Post
    Screw that. I say we should show the cartoon in every single news station across the globe. I'm so tired of hearing about this
    How would that reduce you hearing about this?
    mprp likes this.
    Our current plan for Universal Iron Lung coverage, just sayin'.
    Wisest. Retirement. Plan. Ever.
    Good thing the March of Dimes worked. How, why?

Alternately, for those with a tool shed, ideas, or creative loved ones to tell..

Great... Another war about to start that we will have to bail out France on just like in WW2 and Vietnam...

What other countries has France not ticked off yet? I am trying to figure out who we still will have to fight for them.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links