The use of ICE on your cell phone

This is a discussion on The use of ICE on your cell phone within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Several years ago I read a suggestion somewhere about adding ICE (In Case of Emergency) to some names on your cell phone's contact list. That ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The use of ICE on your cell phone

VIP Member

Several years ago I read a suggestion somewhere about adding ICE (In Case of Emergency) to some names on your cell phone's contact list. That way if I'm incapacitated, LEO, EMS, or the ER could locate a contact number within my cell phone's contact list.

There has been some question whether the ICE idea would actually get used by emergency personnel, and I'm sure the opinions and protocols are varied. I thought about it and said why not? It's easy to do and doesn't really cost anything and it might help. If no one uses it.....no harm done.

I was just thinking today that I've started locking my screen recently, so in an emergency no one would be able to get to any of my ICE and/or contact list. I did see one free app that allowed two ICE numbers to be displayed on your lock screen. Rather than go that app route, I took a plain piece of paper and wrote out some ICE numbers with a marker pen, took a picture of it and used it as the wallpaper on my lock screen. Push one button on my iPhone and there's my ICE numbers. There's even enough space to list some med history info if necessary.
    mprp likes this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I made a QR code of my information and emergency contact info and have that taped to he back of my phone.

johndoe.jpg
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Most current smartphones will allow access to your emergency contacts even if you're phone is locked.

This is the lock screen on my Droid Razr Maxx...
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I made a QR code of my information and emergency contact info and have that taped to he back of my phone.

johndoe.jpg
    Neat. What did you use to generate that?

Quote Originally Posted by tubadude View Post
    Neat. What did you use to generate that?
    There are many sites you can do it on. I generated that one real quick at this site:
    QR Code Generator
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Android has a cool app for them as well.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...id=la.droid.qr

With varying protocols (of which I know nothing about) it sure couldn't hurt. Perhaps some day a uniform / universal phrase could be adopted and become common.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

My phone (Motorola Electrify) has the slide lock like most touch screen phones, and it has the customized lock screen as well with the pattern you have to draw. But it also has an emergency contacts button that you can put a couple phone numbers down for others to use. Being single I have my Mom as one of the emergency contacts, plus she knows more about me than I do it seems...

Quote Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
    With varying protocols (of which I know nothing about) it sure couldn't hurt. Perhaps some day a uniform / universal phrase could be adopted and become common.

Sent from my palm device
    Are you referring to QR codes? If so there is a standard that all readers can read. Different apps are for different phone but they all read the same QR codes.
    If that is not what you meant disregard

I was referring to a code such as ICE, etc.

Sent from my palm device
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Good post.

I can honestly say that do not go through a patients belongings unless they are concious and give me permission. I have used a patients phones to contact family but once again I apply the aforementioned and usualy only with unacompanied minors. By law unless a parent/guardian is present we have to treat and transport minors, so I always make an attempt to contact family.

If the patient is unconcious and LEO on scene Ill ask an officer to search for ID and a phone because me doing so is a liability and waste of important time. Otherwise if no LEOs are on scene, Im just treating and transporting. The hospital can work with LEOs later when the patient is stable.

All this aside, I keep ICE information in my phone BUT access to my phone is restricted by a pin number. So if Im unconcious then oh well lol
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Distinguished Member Array SCXDm9's Avatar
    My wife just used a sharpie to write her phone number on my forehead... along with no returns accepted without a receipt.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    ppkheat, msgt/ret and minimalbrat like this.
    Friends don't let friends wear fanny packs!!!

Open carry is to a handgun as bluetooth is to a cell phone!

I have found a number of phones laying on the ground. I just push 2 on the speed dial and I get connected to someone who knows the person and his relatives.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SCXDm9 View Post
    My wife just used a sharpie to write her phone number on my forehead... along with no returns accepted without a receipt.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2
    Well at least she didn't add DNR
    FLArmadillo, msgt/ret and tclance like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ionracas View Post
    I keep ICE information in my phone BUT access to my phone is restricted by a pin number. So if Im unconcious then oh well lol
    Yep, having a pin number made me realize my ICE info was restricted too, so I took a photo of a list of ICE phone numbers and put it as a wallpaper on the one unlocked page where you put in the pin number.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links