New Show:Revolution

This is a discussion on New Show:Revolution within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Three only problem I have with it is the concept that something could wipe out the electrical potential of batteries world wide and not wipe ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Show:Revolution

Three only problem I have with it is the concept that something could wipe out the electrical potential of batteries world wide and not wipe out the electrochemical processes necessary for life as well.
    OPFOR likes this.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Just saw the "second after" thread. A new show just started called Revolution. All electricity on earth is wiped out (I think batteries as well). They don't tell you how it happened. Part of the mystery. Just wondering how the show will reflect on how folks might or might not act in that situation.

The show starts with the power outage and picks up 15 years later.

Curious to what besides EMP's could wipe out electricity forever. My understanding is that even if the poles reverse you can still have elctricity work eventually.
    My question is how many of you would have gone through all of your ammunition in only 15 years?
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(
    Where is the wisdom that we have lost in knowledge?" T.S. Elliot

Curious to what besides EMP's could wipe out electricity forever. My understanding is that even if the poles reverse you can still have elctricity work eventually.
    #1 EMP dont "wipe out electricity", they short out any unprotected electronics..
    #2 a "poles reverse" would only effect your compass... nothing more.. geologically speaking, they happen all the time... no big deal...

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dV8r View Post
    My question is how many of you would have gone through all of your ammunition in only 15 years?
    This could be the reason they were carrying muzzle loaders.

bows, big knifes, and muzzle loaders. what happen to all of the real guns??? i gave it one time,,,,but no more on this left wing junk.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    Three only problem I have with it is the concept that something could wipe out the electrical potential of batteries world wide and not wipe out the electrochemical processes necessary for life as well.
    In the last episode they allude to a man made cause (device) which caused everything to lose power. So, if it was man made, caused purposely, then one would think they thought it through and to not kill everything on the planet.

Also, there is electricity as evidenced by the end of the first episode and a scene in the second.

I think the show is OK as long as they hold the flashbacks to a minimum (ala LOST)
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I watched the first episode, but decided I'd stick with Monday Night Football instead last night. Unless they get the situation with the officials straightened out, I may just become a Revolution fan! The replacement officials in last night's Green Bay vs Seattle game were atrocious! I'm 70 years old, have watched football most of my life, and have NEVER seen a worse officiated game! Even bad sci fi would be better than getting my blood pressure elevated by the amatures they have calling the NFL games now!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Quote Originally Posted by JDE101 View Post
    I watched the first episode, but decided I'd stick with Monday Night Football instead last night. Unless they get the situation with the officials straightened out, I may just become a Revolution fan! The replacement officials in last night's Green Bay vs Seattle game were atrocious! I'm 70 years old, have watched football most of my life, and have NEVER seen a worse officiated game! Even bad sci fi would be better than getting my blood pressure elevated by the amatures they have calling the NFL games now!
    DVR it! The only thing I watch live are sports and news...everything else is recorded.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Kolonel O: "Firearm possesion is a hangable offense!" Innocent normally peaceful armed man: "So go hang yourself"
    suntzu likes this.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

In the last episode they allude to a man made cause (device) which caused everything to lose power. So, if it was man made, caused purposely, then one would think they thought it through and to not kill everything on the planet.

Also, there is electricity as evidenced by the end of the first episode and a scene in the second.

I think the show is OK as long as they hold the flashbacks to a minimum (ala LOST)
    I understand it is a man made event but don't believe the laws of physics would allow it to happen. Is it possible disrupt the electrochemical processes in a battery from a distance but not disrupt the electrochemical processes (much more delicate) in a life form next to that battery? I have never heard of such a thing. And to prevent the movement of electrons we are talking about fundamentally changing matter at the atomic level.
    I just can't wrap my head around that.
    OPFOR likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I understand it is a man made event but don't believe the laws of physics would allow it to happen. Is it possible disrupt the electrochemical processes in a battery from a distance but not disrupt the electrochemical processes (much more delicate) in a life form next to that battery? I have never heard of such a thing. And to prevent the movement of electrons we are talking about fundamentally changing matter at the atomic level.
    Aw, common! It's a TV show. What does reality have to do with it?

And yes, an EMP will shut down your car with no harm to you while you're sitting in it. And if you've watched, there is still electricity availalbe to at least one person.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I think part of the show (besides the drama) is the mystery solving behind the power outage. They are starting to give subtle clues. Like the notion that they want to get a helicopter running. (Assuming some form of power is needed.) I think that since we are asking these questions the writers of the show are aware of them also and hopefully they start giving out pieces to a puzzle.

VIP Member
    I have not seen the show, but have read numerous reviews. The big issue seems to be that the entire PREMISE of the show is in direct contradiction to every known law regarding electricity. As mcp has stated, you cannot stop the flow of electrons from one place to another. You can fry circuits, you can destroy "the grid," but you cannot eliminate electricity as a concept. Does lightning no longer strike? How do the electrical "circuits" that allow us to live continue to function? It's just....a bit too much for me to bite into.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Aw, common! It's a TV show. What does reality have to do with it?

And yes, an EMP will shut down your car with no harm to you while you're sitting in it. And if you've watched, there is still electricity availalbe to at least one person.
    EMPs are overrated. Unless you have a long wire conductor to capture and deliver it (power lines) it really isn't all that. Even if it were there are still still tens of thousands of vehicles (mechanical injection Diesels) that would be immune. Even electronic ignition gas vehicles have been tested and many were able to be restarted a few seconds after the pulse.

paramedic70002, love his new name, that you gave the militia dude... col. obama. i'll hever to remember that one. lol
    david

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links