New Show:Revolution

This is a discussion on New Show:Revolution within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The show needs more senseless violence and hot scantily clad young women. Michael...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Show:Revolution

The show needs more senseless violence and hot scantily clad young women.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

This show is similar to a CBS show called Jericho which did not last long.

"The show ran on CBS from September 20, 2006, through March 25, 2008. It was initially canceled after its first full season because of poor ratings. While a fan campaign was able to convince the network to bring the show back for a seven-episode second season, it was canceled for a second time after that run."
    Jericho (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

OK first, the guy looks nothing like Obama. He's just well groomed, has salt &pepper hair and pronounces his words properly with hints of negro dialect...

Secondly, I don't like how the antagonist are called the "MILITIA", being that the term is not frequently used but is referenced in 2a, effectively associating the word with negative emotions during an election season with a anti incumbent president.

or maybe I'm just paranoid.

yeah nbc is pushing anti gun agenda again. did you notice how modern firearms are almost exclusively used by militia which are bad guys. if modern firearms are extensively used by bad guys than guns must be bad. show has many BS plot twist just so they can run it to death. this show will turn out like HEROES.

Quote Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
    This show is similar to a CBS show called Jericho which did not last long.

"The show ran on CBS from September 20, 2006, through March 25, 2008. It was initially canceled after its first full season because of poor ratings. While a fan campaign was able to convince the network to bring the show back for a seven-episode second season, it was canceled for a second time after that run."
    Jericho (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Blasphemy! I watched the first two episodes of this thing and it doesn't begin to compare to Jericho. The entire premise of this show goes against the laws of physics. Electricity ceases to exist? Really? How are people alive and walking and talking? At least Jericho was somewhat based in the realm of possibility(ie members of the government going rogue and creating a nuclear catastrophe).

Carry on
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Skeptics! Bet you use to believe that the sun revolved around the Earth because that is what you were taught and all that you knew. Who knows if they come up with some plausible doomsday device that humans made.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

I think one thing the show does bring across nicely is that the "bad guys" are a de facto government wannabe force that probably originally started trying to restore order, but that now demands that everyone not in their government forces (the militia) be disarmed. They then use their exclusive firearms power to bully, threaten, enslave and kill, which is exactly what happens throughout history whenever any government has exclusive access to firearms and the population is disarmed......

That may not have been the Hollywood creator's original intent, and they were probably trying to make "militias" sound evil, but if I catch the drift in the first episode, it seems maybe some of the lib gun grabbers out there watching might actually watch the show, wake up and realize what it is they themselves espouse when they say only "the government" should have firearms and how dangerous an idea that can be. I mean, really, the peaceful agrarian friendly farmers were overrun, shot and defeated by a small, lightly armed group of government thugs and not a single person there could effectively fight back.

Who knows, maybe it will do the job on some antis that our words alone fail to do.
    Fortune Favors the Bold!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Skeptics! Bet you use to believe that the sun revolved around the Earth because that is what you were taught and all that you knew. Who knows if they come up with some plausible doomsday device that humans made.
    I was never taught that the Earth revolved around the sun. Of course, I'm not 400 years old. :)

And yes, I can imagine some crazy scenario where a device is created that causes electricity to stop working. When it was activated, all living things - which require electricity to live - would die. So....that would be a boring show.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    A coronal mass ejection as severe as the Carrington Event could fry everything electrical so badly that it would take years, if not decades to restore the power grid.
    Simply not true. CME's happen all the time and this is not 1859;we know what CME's are and what to do about them. The power grid has days to prepare in advance. Long-line transmission is vulnerable to induced currents but that problem is easily isolated. You might lose some transmission lines, but not all of them. It is hard to imagine that multi-billion dollar energy companies have their head in the ground since the papers and workshops that make the projections and identify the risks of space weather do so at their behest.

Lastly consider that the SUN is NOT a .338 Lapua continually sighted on Earth. A CME can go any direction in the universe. It must then intersect with the earth traveling at ~69,000 mph. Direct hits are not impossible, but very unlikely and that is compounded with the necessity of it being a BIG one.

EMP is not feasible either or at least improbable. An EMP requires detonation of a nuclear device 250 miles above ground. Such a device would be indistinguishable from a nuclear attack, and would earn the full and total response of the entire US Nuclear arsenal in retaliation likely before the device even arrived. The club of nations capable of building, launching and detonating a nuclear device though space is extremely limited. The ones who are willing to risk launching at a country that uses rocket-powered space-cranes to land dune buggies on Mars is *zero*.

Why risk an all-out thermonuclear retaliatory response for such petty result? You might as well punch a hornets nest with your face.

At any rate, there is nothing on earth that could do what the Revolution show supposes which is why they quite neatly avoid revealing the cause.

IMO its those guys on LOST fooling around with the DHARMA equipment one too many times.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bullshark View Post
    Simply not true. CME's happen all the time and this is not 1859;we know what CME's are and what to do about them. The power grid has days to prepare in advance. Long-line transmission is vulnerable to induced currents but that problem is easily isolated. You might lose some transmission lines, but not all of them. It is hard to imagine that multi-billion dollar energy companies have their head in the ground since the papers and workshops that make the projections and identify the risks of space weather do so at their behest.
    Ummm, bullshark you might want to consider that a major hurricane hitting New Orleans had been since the 1970's and people really prepared for it.....

Some of the things to remember about a CME or EMP is that (unlike the book ‘One Second After”) is that all of the effects will not be immediate but there will be cumulative effects (especially with a large CME) due to the buildup radiation belts in the Earth’s geo magnetic field. This radiation will mainly effect communications and may make certain high frequencies unusable for some time.
    A CME event the size of the 1921 solar storm would leave about 130 million Americans without power for 6 to 12 months with full recovery of the power grid taking as long as 9 years (or longer depending on damage to the rest of the world). The 1921 storm was 10 times stronger than the 1989 event which blacked out Quebec and parts of the North eastern US for 9 hours and damaged power plants from Texas to Washington. I do not know how this compares with the 1859 Carrington event but have heard that it was anywhere from 4 to 40 times the size of the 1921 CME.

The vulnerability of our electrical system can be demonstrated by the Northeast blackout of 2003 which put 55 million people in North America out of power. This was caused by a series of chain events set off by trees coming into contact with power lines. Being prepared to function without power and outside aid for a prolong period of time will enable you to survive many types of disasters. This requires preparation for the acquisition of drinking water (the most important), food, and shelter during all types of weather.
    As I have stated before that if you are prepared to survive in your current home (not by Bugging Out) without power for 3 weeks or longer, then you are well prepared for most anything.

For those of you who are interested in further reading I would suggest the following

Severe Space Weather Events--Understanding Societal and Economic Impacts: A Workshop Report

http://www.empactamerica.org/NERC2009Report.pdf
    Mike1956 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    The whole "no electricity" thing, I think, is a poorly contrived vehicle to bring about an evolving plot, which is the real star of the show. Notice the show is called "Revolution," not "No Electricity."
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

As far as CMEs go things got a lot easier a few years back when they got the STEREO satellites on line. Some of the HAM web pages even post the solar weather including CMEs magnitude and arrival times and how the solar activity is messing with the various bands. There were a couple of good sized flares back when my wife was working with Direct Energy. They got the memo, took some precautions and they turned out to be no big deal.
    But we are heading into the peak of the cycle..........
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I most certainly do remember when gallaxy 4 satilite was knocked out by a solar storm, bank in 1989. It was the end of all of the pocket pagers, and the birth of the cell phone.LOL
    david

ooop's big fingers and small key board, with all the typo's That go with it.
    david

It's a TV show with an entertaining premise. Why do we have to worry or be concerned about the plausibility of it? I think we have all watched and enjoyed Superman, X-men, Avengers etc without getting all worked up about whether or not it is possible. Let's just enjoy the show.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links