Cult of Personality?

This is a discussion on Cult of Personality? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not trying to be overtly political here, so let me premise this post by stating my views apply to every political party. Recently a ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Cult of Personality?

VIP Member

Cult of Personality?

I'm not trying to be overtly political here, so let me premise this post by stating my views apply to every political party.

Recently a "For All" campaign for the President is asking people to post pictures of themselves with their hand on their heart and a message written across the hand as a show of support for the President. When I first saw the photos I was perplexed to say the least. My lack of understanding came not from my political views but from the notion that one would engage is some form of a loyalty pledge to an elected official. I can't see myself engaging in such an act for any political figure. To me it is a message that turns the basic principle of public service on its head; it is not us who serve the public servants.

What is happening to the citizenry of this great country?

2. Remove Ads

We have become uneducated about the issues. We, as a whole, are slaves to the sound byte and don't know jack about what is going on. We vote because of party or race and couldn't tell you if we actually share the same beliefs as a candidate. We have gotten exactly what we deserve.

Or I could be wrong.
    pir8fan, RMS, mr.stuart and 7 others like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array BurgerBoy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    We have become uneducated about the issues. We, as a whole, are slaves to the sound byte and don't know jack about what is going on. We vote because of party or race and couldn't tell you if we actually share the same beliefs as a candidate. We have gotten exactly what we deserve.

Or I could be wrong.
    You're not wrong.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Vietnam Veteran - 1966-1970 USASA
    Carry Pistol. Glock 23, .40 Cal.
    Carry Pistol. Glock 19, 9mm.
    Give me a minute before I post again.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad426 View Post
    Or I could be wrong.
    No, I think you nailed it.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    I'm not trying to be overtly political here, so let me premise this post by stating my views apply to every political party.

Recently a "For All" campaign for the President is asking people to post pictures of themselves with their hand on their heart and a message written across the hand as a show of support for the President. When I first saw the photos I was perplexed to say the least. My lack of understanding came not from my political views but from the notion that one would engage is some form of a loyalty pledge to an elected official. I can't see myself engaging in such an act for any political figure. To me it is a message that turns the basic principle of public service on its head; it is not us who serve the public servants.

What is happening to the citizenry of this great country?
    He should rename that little campaign trick "for me".
    The easy way is always mined.

Yep. Peasants bowing to their king.
    Spirit51 likes this.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

No difference:

Hitlet.jpgHitlet.jpg

Every pol is going to change every thing... yeah right... They can't change their own underwear without a focus group... and they NEVER talk ABOUT HOW they're going to do anything.. just say they're gonna do it...

Gonna create more jobs...HOW?
    Gonna stop spending so much... HOW?
    Gonna lower crime... HOW?
    Gonna catch more criminals... HOW?

"Well, just read our plan..." all 496 and a half pages of it... with only 64 contradictions on every page... No substance, just sheep dip.

Sound bytes is all they give us... and we're supposed to discern which one of these rubes is best to lead the country... We have to rely on 3rd party interpreters to tell us HOW the candidate is going to change anything... and then... it depends on which interpreter you choose to listen to...

I just looked it up in my pocket dictionary....

Politician (päləˈtiSHən) see: Liar
    Liar (ˈlīər) see: Politician

Darned pocket dictionaries... too concise.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array RightyLefty's Avatar
    Funny that you use "Cult of Personality." That is exactly what the fascination with this guy has been. I don't want to get political either and I don't want to this to be racial because I am not a racist, but I find it very ironic that a title of a song named "Cult of Personality" talking about this very thing came from a rock band that just happens to have all black members. The various images of world leaders in this video could be replaced by the current occupant of 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. This song and video came 25 years before its time.

l1a1 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    One of the problems is the the news media does not care about accuracy anymore, they care about ratings.

It doesn't matter if the reporting is factual, it only matters that it is fast and gets people watching.

Most citizens do not fact-check (and it is and that we have too) what they hear or read anymore.

I personally don't really care who you vote for (well I do, but not that much) as long as you have a vaild reason. If you have a reason for your poltical beliefs or social stance that is well thought out and you can defend your postions with factual arguements, then I will respect it, even if I disagree with it.
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

What is this "For All" campaign? My Google skills must be lacking because I can't find any reference to the OP and what suppose to be happening. A link would be nice. Thanks
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    It's the result of the microwave populace, which is too lazy to to do anything for themselves more than they absolutely need to do to get by. Why research a candidate when you can watch a few political ads and vote for the one that "feels" right?

There is no reason why people should be asked to be loyal to a particular politician, regardless of their affiliation. If you are loyal to one, then that's on you. But it shouldn't be asked for. Loyalty to your country or the presidency is one thing, but loyalty to a president or a candidate is another. Sounds more like those Communist and Fascist nations of days past where the leaders were supposed to be treated as gods rather than servants of the masses.

Politicians work for us, not the other way around.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    What is this "For All" campaign? My Google skills must be lacking because I can't find any reference to the OP and what suppose to be happening. A link would be nice. Thanks
    Well what do you know, here I was talking about checking things and I didn't. The only references that I can find about this campiagn is on conservative websites, even the Obama website (yes you made me look there) doesn't mention it.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    Well what do you know, here I was talking about checking things and I didn't. The only references that I can find about this campiagn is on conservative websites, even the Obama website (yes you made me look there) doesn't mention it.
    You looked further than I... It's Bogosity season... No more bogosity on one side than the other...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Couldn't find much on this except a poster that is purportedly part of the campaign effort. The link is to the American Thinker.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links