Saving kids from public school

This is a discussion on Saving kids from public school within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Much has been said of how we as parents must not let a public school education brainwash our kids. So, are there any products out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saving kids from public school

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Saving kids from public school

Much has been said of how we as parents must not let a public school education brainwash our kids.

So, are there any products out there that we can use for "home inoculation"? Stuff like coloring books, readers, pamphlets, etc. Other than the parents constantly harping on certain subjects, things that specifically or incidentally counter the PC crap that comes along, and are tailored to kids.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

I solved it by -

a. 1st Daughter - Christian high school. Now has Degree in Communications.

b. Son - Home school 8th grade, Christain high school. Now has Degree in Business Management

c. 2nd Daughter - Home school grades 1 - 8, Christian High School. Now is Certified Cosmetologist and Beautician.

d. 3rd Daughter - Home school grades 1 - 6, Christian school grades 7 - 8, Christian high school. Now is New Hampshire Army National Guard and starts college this January.

Took lots of investment of time, work, money and discipline. It was worth it. They all seem to be turning out well.
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Much has been said of how we as parents must not let a public school education brainwash our kids.

So, are there any products out there that we can use for "home inoculation"? Stuff like coloring books, readers, pamphlets, etc. Other than the parents constantly harping on certain subjects, things that specifically or incidentally counter the PC crap that comes along, and are tailored to kids.
    I'd think a lot would depend on the subject. My kids would come home with what seems to pass as history these days. I'd just show them something from my library that was written AT the time in question (primary source), and we'd discuss the differences.

Also talked to some of their teachers, and found out their hands were pretty much tied. Most of the time if you are going to get any satisfaction you'll have to go at least to the school board.

I'd hope that science and math wouldn't be a problem, all you should have to worry about is social studies/history, and that can get ugly!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Administrator
    Pick Your Topics From Dover - A great educational resource.

Dover Publications has Thousands on fairly inexpensive soft cover books on every subject imaginable. Coloring books - Idea Books - cut out books - educational books - reference books - picture books - books on everything for all ages.
    I often used their Art Reference books.

Yes, CLICK HERE For Dover Publications
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Spend the money and send to private school.

Back in "my day" they were just starting the school brain washing (when I hit about 11th grade) but I went to a small rural school so wasn't exposed to it.

We were taught stupid things like English, Writing (don't judge from my misspellings though, that is my fault), science (even with some creationlism in the course), math and computer (back in the TRS-80 days) science.

We didn't have all the touchy feely crap that they teach now. Hell, one year someone did a science project on creationlism vs. evolution and it was ALLOWED!

Imagine that. It would never been allowed now days .

My father was "this close" to putting me in a private school but he researched and found that our school hadn't been attacked yet so he let me graduate from there.

Wayne

I'll +1 on wayne. I don't have children yet, but I can only hope and plan on sending mine to a school of classical education. I have relatives that sent theirs to a classical styled school at early ages and by 10 and 11 they didn't just a basic understanding of the core subjects (Mathematics, Sciences, Literature, History), but could clearly and logically think for themselves. Everything was taught logically and in order historically instead of just providing sheets full of miscellaneous facts out of order.

Wink

My kids have all gone to public schools, you just have to stay active with your kids and know what they are being taught and not be reluctant to voice you opinion. And if you have a problem take it strait to the principle, with as many times as my wife and I have gone to the school we are on a first name basis. They see us coming and think oh S---!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

PatrioticRick,

True, the parents are very important when it comes to what their kids are being taught.

The only bad thing is the courts are starting to rule for the schools, basically giving them "parent power" of the kids and taking away the parents Rights at the same time.

I don't have kids... yet... but if/when I do, they are going to a private school, one that teaches academics and not touchy feely crap (sorry, I've seen what happened to my nieces and both graduated from HS and neither can spell, do math, knows history, or knows basic science).

Wayne

The only bad thing is the courts are starting to rule for the schools, basically giving them "parent power" of the kids and taking away the parents Rights at the same time.
    But the parents have the right to what school their kids go to, and when you threaten to move them and they lose the funding, they rethink the situation.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Lew
    We are homeschooling our son for many of the same reasons listed. The book we started out with was "The Everything Homeschooling Book" By Sherri Linsenbach Owner and President of www.homeschoolfun.com

The book was a great place to see if you can or even want to do it. It has hundreds of suppliers for everything you will possibly need and gives a very good path to help make your way. Well worth the money. $14.95
    There are 2 types of people, victims and the prepared. I choose to be prepared....

"Bless thee, O Lord, This handgrenade, that it may blow thine enemies to bits. Amen" ~Monty Python's Holy Grail

My Blazer Website

My new, Unofficial Cam and Company Fan site.

We pulled our son out of school in third grade since their "new style" of teaching reading meant he could barely read at first grade level. By the sixth grade we were living aboard a sailboat and traveling in between projects and he was reading at 9th grade level (evaluated by PS). We were able to expose him to people from all over the world and he soaked up this "social studies" lika a dry sponge. He voluntarily accelerated his schoolwork by going year round and sometimes 6 days a week after asking me if he could get a boat of his own before he was 18. He was 14 then and finished all his required materials and passed the tests by 16 for his high school education. That taught him the two best life lessons ever, achieving goals and the value of hard work. He worked full time, long hours, after that and got his own sailboat at 17. He left for a three year carribean cruise at 18. At 30 he is 100% debt free and the owner of a world capable sailboat. Not bad, eh?

My point is not to push home school but to say we spent alot of time involved in his life and taught him to work with us as a crew and a team and a family. We taught him he had to work hard to get what he wanted and to set goals. We made sure he saw what the world around him really is and not what it is on TV or a game console. Truth is parenting is alot of work!!! But worth it.....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

My 7 yr old daughter has attended a private Montessori school since she was a toddler. What a difference in education! I can't afford it, but the way I look at it, I can't afford not to. I keep praying for some kind of voucher system to help out .......
    Walk steathly - and carry a big Springfield.

My daughter is in Kindergarten in a Christian school. I can't afford it either, but we scrimp in other areas to do it. She went to pre-school there and when it was time to start Kindergarten this year we decided that public school was not good enough for her.

In pre-k she learned the sounds that letters make, so I tought her how to sound out words and begin reading. We have friends who are PS teachers and after hearing their horror stories about kindergarteners who didn't even know their numbers or alphabet, we decided to keep her where she was. I am a Christian, not an evangelical, and am pretty much neutral on teaching religion in school, cause she gets it at home and at church, but now I'm glad that she's getting some in school too, because it provides continuity.

I would send her to a non religious private school, but not a pubic school. Get some old history texts and books by conservative historians.

If you do send your kid to public school, you need to really study American history and know it well, so that you can counter the PC America bashing that your kid will get in its place in public school.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

There are many internet sources for material. I have two adult kids who went through public school and turned out great but I had to keep on top of things. I now have a six year old daughter who just started Kindergarten. So far things are good. I worked with her before school started so she is doing great. She knew the Pledge of Allegiance before she ever got to school. The other day she said they taught her the pledge so I asked her to recite it to see if God was still there. He was.

She will eventually go to a Christian school or be home schooled.
    Don't be a fool and die for your country. Let the other sonofabitch die for his.

George S. Patton

I think the biggest obsticle you have to overcome is time. Unless your kids are firmly grounded in their beliefs before they go off to school, it will be hard to undue what they are learning in school. They are being bombarded 8+ hours a day with the materials, opinions and beliefs of people you probably do not know, and may be completely opposite of what you believe. Some of them will be good, and some of them will be bad, but they have them all day. You can try to have them do other things at home to re-teach them what is being taught to them at school, but by the time they get home, they are probably tired of school and school work (and still have homework to do). If homeschool or private school is not an option, then all you can really do is be as involved with your children and their education as you can and pray for them daily. If it is possible, I believe homeschool is the best choice. You will know everything that is being taught to you children, and there are so many resources, organizations and material out there to help you. My wife loves homeschooling our children. My oldest decided he wanted to go to public HS this year, so we let him. It is going ok, but my wife is always at the school, or calling because of many problems. My sons Geography teacher never showed up this year, so he has had substitutes (When they show up) so far this year. His english teacher just quit because she didn't like being a roving teacher (Some teachers do not have assigned rooms and have to carry all of their materials in suitcases from room to room). 3 Kids have been arrested at the school so far this year, and except for math & spanish, all of his classes are a joke (and this is supposed to be one of the better schools in Florida and he is in AP classes). We were just talking about taking him out again this morning, but we are waiting a while because he says he likes it. Sorry to jump on my soap box, but as you could probably tell this is a subject I am very passionate about.
    Last edited by osanmike; September 30th, 2006 at 10:44 AM.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links