Good riddance to bad rubbish.

This is a discussion on Good riddance to bad rubbish. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; While I feel sorry for the employees having to look for new jobs in the current job environment, I feel no sense of loss at ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: Good riddance to bad rubbish.

VIP Member

Thumbs up Good riddance to bad rubbish.

While I feel sorry for the employees having to look for new jobs in the current job environment, I feel no sense of loss at Bill's Barbecue restaurants having all gone out of business. Not bad food. Condescending assumption of superiority and distrust of citizens and the rights of citizens.

Bill's Barbecue was one of the loudest anti-freedom voices in the General Assembly for years.

They were very anti-2A in the fight over carry in restaurants. They could have posted their restaurants and let other business owners make up their own minds. Nope. They knew best for everyone. They had to tell everyone, owner and customer, what to do. They took a very vocal position against lawful gun owners, across the board.

Hadn't touched their food for years. Not going to miss it or them now.

From WTVR.com: Bill’s Barbecue closing all restaurants this week | WTVR.com
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

2. Remove Ads

Bill's Barbecue was one of the loudest anti-freedom voices in the General Assembly for years.

They were very anti-2A in the fight over carry in restaurants.
    I never heard of them but will join you in a toast to their demise.

Before I applaud a business going out of business and employees losing their jobs can you cite some resources where they actually INFLUENCED others policies. Just because one has a big mouth does not mean the were effective. If not I would be more concerned about the workers, not the managements policies.

What about Chik fil A....some folks wanted them out of business.....Just because folks disagreed with the CEO's views.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

VIP Member

More than one way to vote

suntzu,

As always, YMMV.

However, I don't support anti-RKBA businesses.

I don't support business owners that speak for gun control at the legislature or publicly in the press -- particularly those who allege that they represent all business (or in this case all restaurant owners). I support their freedom of speech. I support their right to be wrong.

IMHO, how much "influence" they have is very hard to measure. We got restaurant carry passed. Without his and a few other vocal anti-gun restaurant owners/managers, we may well have gotten liberty restored far earlier.

As to Chik fil A, I support folks' right to boycott -- that too is freedom. Furthermore, now that Chik fil A's owner appears to have agreed to include a statement of respect for all sexual orientations in an internal document and appears to have promised that his not-for-profit arm would not contribute money to groups that oppose gay marriage [ Chicago alderman reverses course, will allow Chick-fil-A - chicagotribune.com ] some on the other side of the issue are talking boycott. I support their right to do so, also.*

I give Starbucks my business. I avoid a local coffee outlet that opposes RKBA. I eat at Sal's and pass on Olive Garden. I ate at the now closed Bud Foster's Restaurant -- until Robert Hodges, who owned Bud Foster’s Restaurant, said that restaurant carry would put restaurant owners in an uncomfortable situation. Good steaks don't offset bad politics, IMHO. He lobbied, “I think this is the worst thing the legislation in Richmond could ever do to restaurants and bars." See: http://tinyurl.com/ydrv9pb I found good steaks, elsewhere.

Again, as always, YMMV. However, I vote with my feet and my $s -- as well as voting at the ballot box.

---------

* Clarification: What I do object to is the goverment (think Chicago) trying to shut Chik fil A down because of the owners beliefs.
    Last edited by DaveH; September 23rd, 2012 at 07:18 PM. Reason: Added Clarification
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Before I applaud a business going out of business and employees losing their jobs can you cite some resources where they actually INFLUENCED others policies. Just because one has a big mouth does not mean the were effective. If not I would be more concerned about the workers, not the managements policies.

What about Chik fil A....some folks wanted them out of business.....Just because folks disagreed with the CEO's views.
    Homosexuals can patronize Chik fil A without discrimination. CCL people were personally restricted entering Bill's BBQ. Chik took no rights from anyone, Bill's did.
    TVille, FTG-05, wraithls1 and 7 others like this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    CCL people were personally restricted entering Bill's BBQ. Chik took no rights from anyone, Bill's did.
    It goes well beyond controlling folks' actions on his property. He lobied to restrict the rights of other business owners to allow concealed carry in their business.
    tcox4freedom and FTG-05 like this.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by RKflorida View Post
    Homosexuals can patronize Chik fil A without discrimination. CCL people were personally restricted entering Bill's BBQ. Chik took no rights from anyone, Bill's did.
    That was not the point (and I know that). And Bill's did not take away anybody;s rights either unless you can cite a case where a person carrying a gun is considered a protected class...which they are not.

I don't care if folks boycott the place either. (either one for either reason). What I take issue is to have some glee that a lot of lost there job. And Bill's going under had nothing to do with their anti gun policies.

And...where did Bill's cause harm to the resteraunt industry and gun owners except for the OP citing an opinion.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

The OP clearly states in his first sentence that he feels sorry for thoes losing their jobs.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    And Bill's going under had nothing to do with their anti gun policies.
    With all due respect, how do you know that the boycott did not have something to do with Bill's going under?

I believe that voting with one's feet and one's $s works -- one way or the other.

Whatever "glee" that I have is because maybe, just maybe, some businesses will take notice and quit writing us off as unnecessary to their business plan. Or maybe, just maybe, they will learn that lobbying against the interest of millions of customers (8-10 million active permits in the United States) is not helping their businesses.

As always, YMMV.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    With all due respect, how do you know that the boycott did not have something to do with Bill's going under?

I believe that voting with one's feet and one's $s works -- one way or the other.

Whatever "glee" that I have is because maybe, just maybe, some businesses will take notice and quit writing us off as unnecessary to their business plan. Or maybe, just maybe, they will learn that lobbying against the interest of millions of customers (8-10 million active permits in the United States) is not helping their businesses.

As always, YMMV.
    With all do respect you would have to show me some proof that a boycot of gun owners caused a chain to go under.........That is a good one.

Let clarify something:I do understand that the OP is not happy that anybody lost their jobs. Not that a boycott IMO worked. A boycott suppose to change the behavior of a company, not ruin it which in turn hurts the employees and economy. But being happy for a company to go out of business is like being happy a guy you don't like gets fired from his job and now his family is on welfare.

That was point.

Truth be told, the failure rate of restaurants is very high, particularly in a tough economy. I don't think anyone wants to see anyone lose a job, or a business fail, but the business is tough enough without some owner self-proclaiming they speak for the industry.

Having said that, it won't serve any purpose for us to argue how many angels dance on the head of a pin. The business failed, and if some of us want to enjoy a little guilty schadenfreude so be it. It doesn't merit any "Holier than Thou" posturing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Truth be told, the failure rate of restaurants is very high, particularly in a tough economy. I don't think anyone wants to see anyone lose a job, or a business fail, but the business is tough enough without some owner self-proclaiming they speak for the industry.

Having said that, it won't serve any purpose for us to argue how many angels dance on the head of a pin. The business failed, and if some of us want to enjoy a little guilty schadenfreude so be it. It doesn't merit any "Holier than Thou" posturing.
    Bravo. Well said.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

My sentiments exactly and very well worded.

It seems to me that the discussions in this forum are becoming more back and forth. Granted I have not been here very long so maybe it happens once in a while? It dosnt seem to be that the subjects are more contraversial, just the opinions. No offense to any specific people.
    "The thing about quotes on the internet is that you can not confirm their validity."
    -Abraham Lincoln

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky. dangerous animals."
    -Agent K

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links