I'm thinking of picking up hunting - Page 2

I'm thinking of picking up hunting

This is a discussion on I'm thinking of picking up hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Believe it or not squirrel is good eating. I won't hunt them because there's so little meat that I can't justify depriving them of their ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I'm thinking of picking up hunting

Believe it or not squirrel is good eating. I won't hunt them because there's so little meat that I can't justify depriving them of their lives for a bite or two off their back legs. The most enjoyable hunting I've ever done is upland game: grouse, pheasants or woodcock. The weather is warm, the colors outstanding, challenging shooting and a tasty bounty at the end (sometimes). Some folks save the tail feathers and make displays or tie flys for fishing during the cold winter months.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power, than by violent and sudden usurpations” – James Madison 1788

Distinguished Member
    I've eaten a lot of squirrel but after awhile, Spam starts tasting better than normal. Coyotes=223 IMO. That gives me a reason to get it in the field. I won't dishonor my Weatherby by intentionally going after coyotes with it. And don't put any part of a yote in your mouth. Feed it to the buzzards and then eat the buzzards.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Coyotes aren't tough per say--a .22 LR can do the job--but I'd suggest something at least in the "varmit" class to dispatch them. I've popped a couple with 130 Grn HPs out of an -06, but that was overkill. Definitely NOT what you want to use if you want the hide as there will be little left. My .223, on the other hand, drops them in their tracks with no problem.

I avoid touching them as they are known rabies carriers, among other nasty things. My little hunting group considered butchering a coyote once and feeding it to a nuisance coworker, but finally talked ourselves out of it.

Squirrels were always too much trouble to clean for the amount of meat obtained. A pain in the butt to get the hair off. I trapped 6 of them last week and released them miles away aftyer they chewed up the eaves on my house. Long-tailed rats is all they are.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Squirrel are excellent eating and are usually considered game animals.

Coyotes are basically garbage. The hides might be worth something if you know how to skin and prepare them. If not, I'd leave them lay. Check with your D.N.R. on hunting requirements and licenses.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Coyotes are interesting. On my property there is a long gun rule. No centerfire long guns ( rifles) You can use shot gun, pistol or rim fire. I chose the 22LR mag. in a Winchester lever. Seems they are plus 200 yards away. Thats a tough shot for a 22lr mag. I don't bait them and I have a tough time with the caller. Up side is Coyote season is year round and you can shoot them 24 hours a day. Just can't go shine them.
    When we shot them on my property we let it lay and goes back to nature. I don't know anybody who eats them. Rabbits are good eating.

Squirrels are good in stew as are rabbits. On yotes, I use a 6mm Rem and 80 grain boat tail soft points. No need of a licence to hunt them and jack rabbits here in Utah. If I had a place to hang and cure the hides I'd skin the coyotes but I just leave them where they fall.
    Libertas Vel Mors

VIP Member
    Nope, not going to eat one. Not sure if it is still in force, but when I lived in Oklahoma, there was a bounty on them. No idea if NH has a bounty on them or not.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    The county has a bounty on them here. They pay for up to so many per year per hunter.

Myself, I won't hunt what I won't eat.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links