I'm thinking of picking up hunting

This is a discussion on I'm thinking of picking up hunting within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Of course I have no experience in the matter so I figure I would start off with varmint hunting. Squirrel season is upon me and ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: I'm thinking of picking up hunting

I'm thinking of picking up hunting

Of course I have no experience in the matter so I figure I would start off with varmint hunting. Squirrel season is upon me and I think it would be good starting ground (though I don't think I could get the gf to eat squirrel lol. I think I would though). Anyway coyote issues have been popping up a lot in the news this past year, most recently today (not the coyote fault this time though). It is almost like having seen so much about coyotes this past year is a sign or something.

anyway what do you all who hunt coyote do with them? I don't know if I could bring myself to eat one and clearly I wouldn't just go about shooting them and leaving them there (though something would eat the coyote regardless).

So do you all eat them when you hunt them? what do you do?

2. Remove Ads

Ive only dispatched 2, but they were in my yard and I suspect they were after my puppy. Used 7.62x54R on them. It made a neat 30cal hole on both sides, small mound of dirt where the bullet enters the ground. It was pretty quick, one ran a few yards kind of stiffened up and collapsed didnt see what the other did. I finished them off with my mossy 702 plinkster and threw them in the fire pit. I havent seen one in a while, though sometimes i hear them yipping when they catch a rabbit or squirrel in the adjacent corn fields. I have no more squirrels, my new target is moles when they start poking up through the dirt. I dont eat them, though my cat loved the squirrels and the occasional rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    Ive only dispatched 2, but they were in my yard and I suspect they were after my puppy. Used 7.62x54R on them. It made a neat 30cal hole on both sides, small mound of dirt where the bullet enters the ground. It was pretty quick, one ran a few yards kind of stiffened up and collapsed didnt see what the other did. I finished them off with my mossy 702 plinkster and threw them in the fire pit. I havent seen one in a while, though sometimes i hear them yipping when they catch a rabbit or squirrel in the adjacent corn fields. I have no more squirrels, my new target is moles when they start poking up through the dirt. I dont eat them, though my cat loved the squirrels and the occasional rabbit.
    unfortunitly a fire pit isn't an option for me lol

I leave them there. Its on my land and i look at it as giving back to mother nature! Someone gets to eat a pest and the other animals are a little safer. The last 3 I've gotten with my bow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post
    I leave them there. Its on my land and i look at it as giving back to mother nature! Someone gets to eat a pest and the other animals are a little safer. The last 3 I've gotten with my bow.

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    yeah I guess I forgot to mention it will be on state land I do this. I'm not sure if I can just leave them.

VIP Member
    I once managed to call in a coyote with a wounded rabbit call, but my son shot low and that was the last we've seen of him.

I'd have to be starving to death to eat one. My plan was to cut his tail off for my sister, and throw him in a ditch for the other critters to eat. This was a predator that was stalking the neighborhood and had to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattmann View Post

Sent from my DROID RAZR
    Possums do a good job cleaning things up...

So it seems I may be to late. Checked out the fish and game website and there aren't any field days available untill xx/xx/2013. This means I can't do anything untill sometime after january? way around this? exceptions?

I'm pretty sure given my background I have already had gun safety, firearm management, and all that other stuff to include reading maps and using compasses more times than I care to remember. Anyone know if I can just skip this unneeded course and field day (unneeded for me that is).

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I once managed to call in a coyote with a wounded rabbit call, but my son shot low and that was the last we've seen of him.

I'd have to be starving to death to eat one. My plan was to cut his tail off for my sister, and throw him in a ditch for the other critters to eat. This was a predator that was stalking the neighborhood and had to go.
    What were you going to do with the tail? It would make an awesome pullcord for a ceiling fan...
    tclance and WHEC724 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by tricolordad View Post
    What were you going to do with the tail? It would make an awesome pullcord for a ceiling fan...
    Dang, I thought that's what raccoon tails were for. Now I gotta go redecorate...

Back to the OP's question: coyotes have been taken with calibers from .22 up. It kinda comes down to how far away you are, and shot placement, of course. I think .22 LR is a little light and I'd prefer a .22 magnum at the low end. .222 and .223/5.56 are very popular for 'yotes, but I know guys who use heavy deer rifles on them simply because they can. Shotguns are tough because of limited range, but having said that, the only coyote I ever shot was a rabid one in CT and I used a 20 ga since that's what I was bird hunting with.

I can't think of a state that doesn't require a hunter safety course as a prerequisite to getting a hunting license these days, so I think you just have to bide your time and do it by the numbers. But certain nusiance species are usually huntable year-round, even in New England. In CT it was possum, skunk, red squirrel, coyotes and a few others, so it pays to read your state's regs fully to see what opportunties are open to you once you get your ticket punched.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I personally have never ate one, nor will I ever.I have (dispatched lol ) several of them. In GA they call them Coy-Dogs ? I have seen and dispatched several from my stand when they are chaseing deer. IDK but they look like wild dogs witha bushey tail to me. If they are chaseing deer on my land and I see them and have a shot, they wont be chaseing them any more!!!

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    Out here in CA coyotes are mostly shot because they are pest animals. They prey on pets, livestock, and if hungry enough will attack people. We pretty much leave them lay here. But being that you are from NH, The colder winters there should make for fur pelts that are now bringing good prices. last years fur prices had premium coyote skins going for $75. I shoot 5 to 10 per year. If we had cold enough winters for them to develop premium fur that would make it worth my time to skin them. Heck that would even put a good dent in my reloading costs for the year!

Here's a couple of good sites for varmint action.

Welcome to Predator Masters -- Hunting the Hunters

Varmint Al's Hunting Page

here's another that's based mostly in Ca, but has good calling info.

California Predators Club Forums

I do favor my coyote hunting. Even if they hang, I love to call.

The last one I shot got skinned and is hanging on my wail. Skinned him from nose to tail. No he's a good coyote. But his coat was in decent shape. Some of them I would not dare touch. If it's mangy looking just let it lay there.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Good idea on the furs, that never even crossed my mind. I will check that out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links