Looking for a good book... - Page 2

Looking for a good book...

This is a discussion on Looking for a good book... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I just finished reading Point of Impact , which is a work of fiction about ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Looking for a good book...

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I just finished reading Point of Impact, which is a work of fiction about a former Marine sniper who is framed for a botched assassination attempt of the President. The movie Shooter is based on this book.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    This might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I just finished reading Point of Impact, which is a work of fiction about a former Marine sniper who is framed for a botched assassination attempt of the President. The movie Shooter is based on this book.
    That might be a good one, as long as the story line isn't too incredibly close to the movie (I've seen the movie probably a dozen times haha).
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Tom Clancey's Rainbow Six is a good one. Basically about an international SPEC OPS team.
    mulle46 likes this.
    US Air Force, 1986 - 2007

"To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them..." George Mason

Senior Moderator
    If you are going to read Tom Clancy read "Without Remorse" IMO it's his best book
    mano3 and mulle46 like this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

No easy day by mark Owen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll throw out one, 'Monster Hunters International' by Larry Correia.
    Its a tad over the top with the hero and the monsters and all, but you can tell Correia is a true gun nut. The weapons and ammo used are very well described. There is plenty of action. You may have to file it under "guilty pleasure", but its a page turner.
    pittypat21 likes this.

"Dear Mom, A snipers Vietnam" Joseph T. Ward
    Libertas Vel Mors

VIP Member
    Vince Flynn's Mitch Rapp series is great. Not a Marine story, but it is killing bad guys with good action sequences. Rapp is a CIA assassin fighting terrorists. Without a doubt it is my favorite series. I preorder every book so I have it as soon as it is released.

If you liked the movie Shooter, there is a whole series about Bob Lee Swagger written by Stephen Hunter. Give them a look, I enjoyed them quite a bit as well.
    pittypat21 and Bassindude like this.
    "The only people I like besides my wife and children are Marines."
    - Lt. Col. Oliver North

one second after

Senior Moderator
    I have to add one of the best Military fiction books ever written Starship Troopers: Robert A. Heinlein: 9780441783588: Amazon.com: Books

From wikipedia
    While powered armor is Starship Troopers' most famous legacy, its influence extends deep into contemporary militaries. Over half a century after its publication, Starship Troopers is on the reading lists of the United States Marine Corps[25][26][27] and the United States Navy.[28] It is the first science fiction novel on the reading lists at three of the five United States military branches. When Heinlein wrote Starship Troopers the United States military was a largely conscripted force, with conscripts serving two-year hitches. Today the U.S. military has incorporated many ideas similar to Heinlein's concept of an all-volunteer, high-tech strike force. In addition, references to the book keep appearing in military culture. In 2002 a marine general described the future of Marine Corps clothing and equipment as needing to emulate the Mobile Infantry.[29] In 2012, an article on the US military buying ballistic face masks specifically referenced the "big steel gorilla[s]" of Starship Troopers.[30]
    rigel42 likes this.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I like a lot of W.E.B Griffin stuff.

Thunder Run was good but not non-fiction. House to house was a good read but also non fiction. We Were Soldiers Once and Young, also non fiction.

+1 on Horse Soldiers, Lone Survivor, and The Old Breed.
    It's kind of like how some people have a sudden and insatiable desire to talk about vampires after the Twilight series became popular, except zombies are much less gay and more likely to exist one day

Handgun combatives - Dave Spalding

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I have to add one of the best Military fiction books ever written Starship Troopers: Robert A. Heinlein: 9780441783588: Amazon.com: Books

From wikipedia
    I have to second this choice. If you haven't read this book, don't let the movie scare you away. This is one of my all time favorites.

American Sniper, Chris Kyle's story fits a lot of your criteria
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Array IAm_Not_Lost's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    If you are going to read Tom Clancy read "Without Remorse" IMO it's his best book
    Most of the Jack Ryan/John Clark books are pretty darn good.
    "Brilliant. So now we got a huge guy theory, and a serial crusher theory. Top notch. What's your name?" - Paul Smecker

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links