Looking for a good book...

This is a discussion on Looking for a good book... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm not much of a reader usually (except for my ever growing stack of gun magazines), but that's generally because I can't find anything good ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Looking for a good book...

Question Looking for a good book...

I'm not much of a reader usually (except for my ever growing stack of gun magazines), but that's generally because I can't find anything good to read (and by good I mean "interesting to me").

Does anybody know of any good books that fit this description?

-Modern combat
    -Fiction (though based on a true story is good)
    -Military
    -Something in Afghanistan or Iraq (so I can pretend its real )
    -Action packed
    -Good hand to hand scenes as well as firefights
    -Preferably not something in the sci-fi or fantasy genres, realism is a huge plus
    -Lastly, preferably books about Marines (this one is least important, but a plus)

I know that's kind of a long list of hopeful, but if anybody out there might have some good suggestions, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks all
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

I read several of Dick Marcinko's Rogue Warrior stuff. Pretty good. IIRC the first one, Rogue Warrior, is mostly based on his time in Vietnam. They move in and out of fact or fiction in some of them. "White Feather" the bio of Carlos Hathcock was good too. One of, or maybe the, best sniper ever.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

OK, a couple of starters are: Citizen Soldier by Stephen Ambrose and Breakout by Martin Russ. The former about WWII soldiers, akin to The Greatest Generation, and the latter about the Chosin Reservoir campaign in the Korean War.

The of course there is the fictional but thought-provoking Unintentional Consequences by John Ross - out of print, but s seriously good read if you're pro-2A.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Not exactly fiction, but it meets most of your criteria: Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell.
    niks, oakchas, sigs and 1 others like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I was always a non-fiction reader, particularly autobiographies. I always liked to read it from the people who actually experienced the events. My favorite subject is WW2 and 2 books I would recommend is 'Company Commander' by Charles B. MacDonald, a story of the author's battle experience from Normandy to the Ardennes Forest. Also, 'The Forgotten Soldier' by Guy Sajer and his experience as a German soldier on the Russian Front. Both of these books are brutally frank accounts of these soldiers lives in combat. Great reads!

If you are looking for action packed I recommend Superman comic books....
    pittypat21 likes this.
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

Guns Up is a great book. True story about a vietnam machinegunner.

I would personally recomend this one as well. BARNES & NOBLE | Fallujah, With Honor First Battalion Eighth Marine's Role in Operation Phantom Fury 2e by Gary Livingston, Caisson Press | Hardcover which is about my brothers (on the deployment right before I joined them). The marine taking a knee on the right next to the m240 on the cover was actually my squad leader in ramadi when he was a boot. Very good book

Distinguished Member Array svgheartland's Avatar
    Something of Value - Robert Ruark
    wmhawth likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Not exactly fiction, but it meets most of your criteria: Lone Survivor, by Marcus Luttrell.
    Got to agree with this... It's written with help from a professional writer, but you can still hear Luttrell's voice quite clearly.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Thanks all, all good suggestions. I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    I read several of Dick Marcinko's Rogue Warrior stuff. Pretty good. IIRC the first one, Rogue Warrior, is mostly based on his time in Vietnam. They move in and out of fact or fiction in some of them. "White Feather" the bio of Carlos Hathcock was good too. One of, or maybe the, best sniper ever.
    I actually read another book about him a while back; it was definitely a good one. Carlos Hathcock was one of the reasons I joined the Marine Corps.

Another one I started reading a couple years ago, but I'm not sure if I finished, was With the Old Breed by E.B. Sledge. Great book as well.

Also, no sweat if any books you recommend or would recommend don't fit all my criteria. I know it's a lot to ask! Like the suggestions here so far, the most important of the criteria would be military-related!

Distinguished Member Array phreddy's Avatar
    I enjoyed "Above Reproach" by J.D. Kinman (he has posted here at DC). It takes place in the US though.

Again, not fiction but an amazing account of some of the first soldiers in Afghanistan. http://www.amazon.com/Horse-Soldiers...s+doug+stanton. And here is another true account of Richard Botkin's time in Vietnam, on the ground; up close and personal. Ride the Thunder: A Vietnam War Story of Honor and Triumph: Richard Botkin: 9781935071051: Amazon.com: Books

Senior Moderator
    It's about Marines, its a true story and it's great The Last Stand of Fox Company: A True Story of U.S. Marines in Combat: Bob Drury,Tom Clavin: 9780871139931: Amazon.com: Books

I second Ambrose's citizen soldiers and most any other military books he wrote.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Also, no sweat if any books you recommend or would recommend don't fit all my criteria. I know it's a lot to ask! Like the suggestions here so far, the most important of the criteria would be military-related!
    OK then. A little off your course but good reading none the less. I've read the first 11 of the Gabriel Allon series. The main character, Allon, is an Israeli agent.
    Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links