True Grit - Page 2

True Grit

This is a discussion on True Grit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's a good remake, but don't sit through it trying to compare it with the original. It's different enough in the acting to make it ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: True Grit

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    It's a good remake, but don't sit through it trying to compare it with the original. It's different enough in the acting to make it worthwhile. The young girl did a wonderful job, better than Kim Darby, IMO. I enjoyed it, but the Duke is still THE Duke, and no one can replace him.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

VIP Member
    I struggle to think of a western that I didn't like... I remember Clint Eastwood singing in a western musical - that freaked me out in a bad way.

VIP Member
    I'll pass on the remake.....there was only 1 John Wayne, and only 1 Rooster Cogburn, and his last name isn't spelled Bridges.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    I struggle to think of a western that I didn't like... I remember Clint Eastwood singing in a western musical - that freaked me out in a bad way.
    Paint Your Wagon.

and worse yet, Lee Marvin sang in it.

I really enjoyed the True Grit remake.

I don't usually care for remakes of great movies. True Grit was an exception. If anything I liked it better. Jeff Bridges' Rooster Cogburn interpretation was great IMO.

Distinguished Member Array DontTreadOnI's Avatar
    I thought it was pretty well done. Man, I wish I didn't have anything to worry about other than if I'm going to like a movie remake or not!
    If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    John Wayne's True Grit is about Rooster, the new one is about Mattie. They are both good but are different movies.
    Yep, this is how I see it too. I like the newer version better.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Two DIFFERENT movies. I still prefer the classic, but the new one was better than I thought it would be. It's worth a watch.
    I agree with you. They are two different movies. You can't really compare them. The classic is just that and can never be replaced, but the new one is a pretty good movie. Really liked that it had some differences, especially the ending.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    OK, I'm old enough to have seen thje original, but is the remake worth it?'True Grit' Trailer HD - YouTubeTrue Grit (9/9) Movie CLIP - Bold Talk for a One-Eyed Fat Man (1969) HD - YouTube What say you....... ?Is it worth seeing.....?
    Simply yes for me, I enjoyed it just as much as the original; in fact I'd say it was a more realistic version of how I think the old west would have been. Thumbs up from me..
    Spirit51 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Big Lebowski anyone?????

I thought True Grit the remake was pretty good.

I happen to like Jeff Bridges though...

I also love westerns!
    Bark'n likes this.

Not to take anything away from John Wayne and the original, but Jeff Bridges portrayal of Rooster Cogburn was a much more realistic and true to life image of how men lived, dressed, talked and demonstrated accurate mannerisms in the mid 1800's. No doubt about it, much more realistic and than the classic Hollywood westerns.

I thought it was an excellent movie and really shouldn't be compared against the original.

John Wayne really can't be blamed for how Hollywood presented or portrayed life in that time period. He just acted in the movies Hollywood made, and was one of the best at it, too!

True Grit original version = Hollywood
    True Grit remake = Realistic and gritty.

Go see it or rent it Chief, you'll love it!
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

I love the original, but the new cast, especially Jeff Bridges took the story to a new level.

I will agree, if it weren't for remakes of classic movies, TV shows and comic books Hollywood would be vaccant!

I liked the original...especially since it was filmed where I live, but as a movie I liked the new one better

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links