True Grit

This is a discussion on True Grit within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; OK, I'm old enough to have seen thje original, but is the remake worth it? 'True Grit' Trailer HD - YouTube True Grit (9/9) Movie ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: True Grit

True Grit

OK, I'm old enough to have seen thje original, but is the remake worth it?
    'True Grit' Trailer HD - YouTube

True Grit (9/9) Movie CLIP - Bold Talk for a One-Eyed Fat Man (1969) HD - YouTube

What say you....... ?

Is it worth seeing.....?
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

2. Remove Ads

I don't know, but Jeff Bridges ain't no Rooster Cogburn in my opinion. Hollywood seems to be losing it if all they can come up with is remakes of classic movies to make a living. Can't they produce good original movies anymore? You can give the new one a look, but I seem to find that they just don't do anything for me like the classic versions do. Maybe I'm just too old school!

Quote Originally Posted by goldshellback View Post
    OK, I'm old enough to have seen thje original, but is the remake worth it?
    'True Grit' Trailer HD - YouTube

True Grit (9/9) Movie CLIP - Bold Talk for a One-Eyed Fat Man (1969) HD - YouTube

What say you....... ?

Is it worth seeing.....?
    I have an idea.... You watch the remake and get back to us....

Thanks in advance, you're the best .....
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation."
    --Thomas B. Reed, American Attorney

Second Amendment -- Established December 15, 1791 and slowly eroded ever since What happened to "..... shall not be infringed."

I thought Jeff Bridges did a fantastic job as Cogburn! I loved the movie, it is a upgrade from the old classic! You may also wanna give "Crazy Heart" a look... A incredibly powerful movie about a washed up old country singer... Bridges is amazing in that movie as well.
    RichB70 likes this.

VIP Member
    Two DIFFERENT movies. I still prefer the classic, but the new one was better than I thought it would be. It's worth a watch.
    Spirit51 and Arborigine like this.
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

Quote Originally Posted by wingryder View Post
    I thought Jeff Bridges did a fantastic job as Cogburn! I loved the movie, it is a upgrade from the old classic! You may also wanna give "Crazy Heart" a look... A incredibly powerful movie about a washed up old country singer... Bridges is amazing in that movie as well.
    Second both of those thoughts.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Watch,enjoy...worry about bigger things.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Saw the remake. I enjoyed it. I love the classics, such as joe kidd and what not but todays film quality just brings you there. So typically remakes will be good. Granted no one is going to joe kidd like eastwood but it would be worth a watch. I say check it out.

Senior Moderator
    John Wayne's True Grit is about Rooster, the new one is about Mattie. They are both good but are different movies.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array RevolvingMag's Avatar
    Rock Hill, SC- Across Town From Where All the Homicides Happen
    It's not bad. I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to friends, but it was alright.

...The original was MUCH better in my opinion.
    "Rock and load, lock and roll... what's it matter? FIRE!!"

"Gun control means hitting your target every time."

Please take everything I say with at least one grain of salt- I am a very sarcastic person with a very dry sense of humor.

i seen the movie like 6 months ago and all i remember is the main character has a lever action rifle.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I am probably in the minority, I watched it again last month and it has not aged well-screams late 60's early 70's movie to me. And this is from a die hard John Wayne fan. The new one is a different movie, not really a remake as much as another look at the same theme. Good movie, I am a huge Coen Brothers fan.
    wingryder likes this.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Now we're talking......okay, here's my unbiased opinion

I've seen both, and read the book they were based on. All three are different. No doubt my favorite is the re-make with Jeff Bridges, who played a crusty yet effective lawman. It is the Coen brothers first western, and they did a great job. I think the script for the re-make is very well-written too, the characters aren't supermen, they are regular people with flaws. I really like how it was written with the characters choice of words and "older" use of our language, for the period.

Did I mention we have the DVD, and it has some extras, like interviews the actors, how the set was built, and chose their costumes. We also have a copy of the script, and an autographed picture from the movie.

Well, never mind me I might be a bit biased, but "pursuit would be fudel (sic)".
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I liked it. I made the mistake of watching the original the day before I saw the remake. It took some of the thunder away from the Bridges version. But it was an enjoyable movie.

Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    I am probably in the minority, I watched it again last month and it has not aged well-screams late 60's early 70's movie to me. And this is from a die hard John Wayne fan. The new one is a different movie, not really a remake as much as another look at the same theme. Good movie, I am a huge Coen Brothers fan.
    Well done, remakes can bring the feeling of the original to today's world... I loved Billy Jack when I first saw it... but age has made it hokey/fakey... sad...ruined the memory.

And the remake of True Grit, offering the different perspective, should be interesting, I will watch it.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links