A LEO, AN L.E.O.-- A historic, indefinitely - Page 2

A LEO, AN L.E.O.-- A historic, indefinitely

This is a discussion on A LEO, AN L.E.O.-- A historic, indefinitely within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by oakchas sigh. If you say "El EE OH," fine... Would you also say... "The "Ess Double-ewe Ay Tee" team of professional El ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: A LEO, AN L.E.O.-- A historic, indefinitely

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    sigh.

If you say "El EE OH," fine...

Would you also say...

"The "Ess Double-ewe Ay Tee" team of professional El EE OHs took down the bank robber with a well placed shot from an "Eckler and Koch GEE 36."

Or would you say, "they popped a cap in his butt... and that was the end of 'im, mate." ?
    No, I say it "swat" as in "swat a fly." Really though, I'd probably never say "LEO" in conversation. I'd just say "cop" or something similar. But "LEO" seems to be the predominant term here, so I use it here.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    No, I say it "swat" as in "swat a fly." Really though, I'd probably never say "LEO" in conversation. I'd just say "cop" or something similar. But "LEO" seems to be the predominant term here, so I use it here.
    "an cop" no doubt!

I use LEO in type only.... well, most often, unless speaking with my hero Gecko... you know... he "gets" all that jargon...

"An LEO" just bugs me... I don't know why... It looks foreign to me...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    An LEO is correct, assuming you are pronouncing each letter and not saying "leo the lion." I actually dislike when people write "a" LEO, for the same reasons you dislike "an" LEO. Would you write "a" S&W revolver or "an" S&W revolver? The words spelled out (in this case "Smith") would require an "a," but the "ess" (begins with a vowel sound) of the abbreviation requires an "an." Ain't English grand?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

So the do you say A herb? plant not name?
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

no, I don't say "a herb." It's a sound thing, not a spelling thing... the h in herb is SILENT. As it is when describing an herbivore.

Ya know, this is all in fun... I'm only partially serious... the rest of me is pretty much laid back...

This is the off topic and humor section of the forum... And we don't have a first amendment section on the freedom of speech... so I'm just being "free" with my speechification where it can tend towards jocularity.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

VIP Member
    Just so we're all on the same starting page - you use "an" when the following word begins with a vowel SOUND, not necessarily a vowel itself. It would be "a" herb if you pronounced the H, or "an" herb if you didn't.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

what you talkin bout Willis? Me an herb go shootin all da time!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Just so we're all on the same starting page - you use "an" when the following word begins with a vowel SOUND, not necessarily a vowel itself. It would be "a" herb if you pronounced the H, or "an" herb if you didn't.
    Which is exactly why it is a euphonic matter instead of an euphonic one.
    oakchas likes this.
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    An LEO is correct, assuming you are pronouncing each letter and not saying "leo the lion." I actually dislike when people write "a" LEO, for the same reasons you dislike "an" LEO. Would you write "a" S&W revolver or "an" S&W revolver? The words spelled out (in this case "Smith") would require an "a," but the "ess" (begins with a vowel sound) of the abbreviation requires an "an." Ain't English grand?
    This is correct according to my writing references: Consonants pronounced like a vowel (hour, honorable, etc.) would use "an." Now I've got a lot of editing to do...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    No, I don't use it as a word, as in leo, the lion. For every grammatical rule, there is an useless exception.
    Exceptions are the rule.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

He's prolly right

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    This is correct according to my writing references: Consonants pronounced like a vowel (hour, honorable, etc.) would use "an." Now I've got a lot of editing to do...
    I agree... IF you, as you are writing, say "an el ee oh." I say "a LEO" (as in lion). But if I were saying "an el ee oh" I would use the periods between the elements of the acronym. an L.E.O...

We have shortened acronyms to become words... Cop, reportedly, was an acronym (C.O.P.) for Constable On Patrol (a beat cop). S.W.A.T was converted to SWAT so it became "a SWAT team" rather than an S.W.A.T. (Special Weapons And Tactics) team...

So, what? Does it really matter? nah... but it's a good exercise in something.. time mismanagement mostly.... 2 pages we've spent on this... hard to believe.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

English is my 5th language Serbian, Russian, Albanian and German grammar rules gets mixed into English

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    English is my 5th language so between Serbian, Russian, Albanian and German. That is why my grammar is not perfect.
    Multilingually imperfect grammar... Well, great... might as well butcher 'em all!

I'm bilingual... almost. Spoke Spanish first... No, scratch that, I spoke gibberish first... then half Spanish, then pidgin English, then English, then Spanish (couldn't speak English for two weeks after a trip to Mexico)... Then English, with a smattering of Spanish on occasion, most of which I have lost..

Speaking 5 languages is fantastic... I don't care if you flub an occasional indefinite article in any of them...
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    sigh.

If you say "El EE OH," fine...

Would you also say...

"The "Ess Double-ewe Ay Tee" team of professional El EE OHs took down the bank robber with a well placed shot from an "Eckler and Koch GEE 36."

Or would you say, "they popped a cap in his butt... and that was the end of 'im, mate." ?

Um .... not to nit-pick, but "Ess Double-ewe Ay Tee" team is redundant.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links