Tide may be turning in Brittain

This is a discussion on Tide may be turning in Brittain within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Judge tells a couple of BGs: “If you burgle a house in the country where the householder owns a legally-held shotgun, that is the chance ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike1956

Thread: Tide may be turning in Brittain

Tide may be turning in Brittain

Judge tells a couple of BGs:

“If you burgle a house in the country where the householder owns a legally-held shotgun, that is the chance you take. You cannot come to court and ask for a lighter sentence because of it.”
    BG's barrister (lawyer) suggested that the boys were traumatised (sic) by the near-death experience.

While, elsewhere in the article, another judge had called his case's robbers "Brave."

Good story here
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

2. Remove Ads

Backwards country. I hope I am long gone before we get there...
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

VIP Member
    From the story:
    "Mr and Mrs Ferrie were also arrested and questioned for more than 40 hours on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. They were later released without charge."
    Two strokes do a home invasion, and their victims get the third degree. I'll let the tide in Great Britain turn some more before I start passing out victory cigars on the behalf of gun owners everywhere.
    RichB70 likes this.
    "When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk."
    Tuco

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    From the story:
    "Mr and Mrs Ferrie were also arrested and questioned for more than 40 hours on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm. They were later released without charge."
    Two strokes do a home invasion, and their victims get the third degree. I'll let the tide in Great Britain turn some more before I start passing out victory cigars on the behalf of gun owners everywhere.
    Oh I can certainly agree with that... 40 hours detention and questioning for defending themselves is patently absurd. But, I found the comments made at the U.N. interesting...

Though in the end... I don't want judges ruling based on the "pulse" of the people... I want judges to rule on the law...
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

One more reason we kicked em out back in the 18th century. While we were eating raw squirrels and drinking whiskey, powder puffs were drinking tea and eating crumpets. Break into my house here, and you leave a few ounces heavier and will have some serious heavy metal toxicity. Break into a house in the UK, and you get counseling and a free T-shirt.
    I'm thinking I could get a group of my shooting buddies together, go to the UK and claim it. Worst case scenario I have to calm Hugh Jackman down. Wait, he's Australian. Calm down Russel Crowe. Nope, Australian as well. Oh, kid from the vampire movies that's about 88 pounds soaking wet with a 20 pound bowling ball in each hand.
    My guess is that the homeowners there could start keeping toothbrushes by their bedstands so they could scare off intruders with those. If memory serves, oral hygiene falls just behind gun ownership as far as level of importance.

Quote Originally Posted by pscipio03 View Post
    One more reason we kicked em out back in the 18th century. While we were eating raw squirrels and drinking whiskey, powder puffs were drinking tea and eating crumpets. Break into my house here, and you leave a few ounces heavier and will have some serious heavy metal toxicity. Break into a house in the UK, and you get counseling and a free T-shirt.
    I'm thinking I could get a group of my shooting buddies together, go to the UK and claim it. Worst case scenario I have to calm Hugh Jackman down. Wait, he's Australian. Calm down Russel Crowe. Nope, Australian as well. Oh, kid from the vampire movies that's about 88 pounds soaking wet with a 20 pound bowling ball in each hand.
    My guess is that the homeowners there could start keeping toothbrushes by their bedstands so they could scare off intruders with those. If memory serves, oral hygiene falls just behind gun ownership as far as level of importance.
    "Course them Aussies are in equally as bad a shape as far as gun ownership is concerned... heck, most of 'em voluntarily gave 'em up... foolishness.
    All that said....
    It could be worse.

They are lucky that even the Brits lucky enough to own a shotgun AFAIK only have birdshot available,break into my crib and you get buckshot
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

It's going to take a heck of a lot more than one, lone judge dispensing a modicum of common-sense to change the tide, there. Unless 100% of all criminal cases come through that one judge's courtroom, they've likely got a very, very long wait ahead of them before sensible handling of violent criminals and upstanding people is done the way it should be.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Give them birdshot to the face...if that's all u got to go on.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I was also reading in the U.K. news that one of those thugs had 16 prior convictions for 27 different charges. He will probably be back out on the streets before that farmer will be allowed to buy more shot shells for his gun.

Links