Beware ATM's

Beware ATM's

This is a discussion on Beware ATM's within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Everybody here knows to be careful at ATM's. Look to see who is around, keep a good look out, use one in a very public ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Beware ATM's

Beware ATM's

Everybody here knows to be careful at ATM's. Look to see who is around, keep a good look out, use one in a very public place. You know the drill. Anyway, we have a new account at a bank in San Antonio and just now activated our cards at the closest ATM. It is outside in the middle of large parking lot (strip mall). Wife puts in her card, punches in her pin and has to do transaction. She hits "balance". Not thinking it was a big deal she hit the button for on screen, not a print out. I couldn't beleive it. From 15 feet away I saw our balance in what looked like 2-4 inch size numbers!

Just imagine some BG that was not planning on robbing someone till they actually saw the balance. I swear you could read it from the Radio Shack across the way.

Anyway, long story short, NEVER elect to have your balance displayed on the screen.

On a side note that was the first time using an ATM in months. We always elect cash back when we check out of Wal Mart or the grocery store. Was wondering if this is new, having the screen print so large.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    We use only drive up ATM's for the same reason, although if a would be robber saw my account balance he might offer me a few bucks
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Luckily for me, my credit union has an app so I never check my balance at an ATM. Only use drive-up machines or the one that is inside the Meijer's (a department store similar to Wally World for those not from Michigan) near my house.
    Disarming innocent people does not protect innocent people.

Don't ever think that the reason I'm peaceful is because I'm afraid to be violent!

Quote Originally Posted by marinevet1994 View Post
    Luckily for me, my credit union has an app so I never check my balance at an ATM. Only use drive-up machines or the one that is inside the Meijer's (a department store similar to Wally World for those not from Michigan) near my house.
    Yeah, so does our bank. But to activate the card the first time it has to be used at one their ATM's. We were going shopping at Wal Mart later.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”

Senior Moderator
    I don't use ATM's but if a BG saw my balance he wouldn't bother trying to rob me
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Maybe I am old fashion, I plan my life and do not use ATM machines. Most places we go will accept a credit card if I don't have the cash on me.
    Most of the time when I am with somebody who uses one to get cash, they are in a big hurry and don't pay any attention to who or what is going on around them.

Thanks for the heads up.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    All the ATMs i have used have a small rear view mirror or two. Step closer and use your body to block the screen if you feel the need.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    I don't use ATM's but if a BG saw my balance he wouldn't bother trying to rob me
    They might take up a collection?
    pgrass101 likes this.
    EDC - M&P Shield .40, Ruger P90, OR Ruger SR1911 CMD AND
    Ruger LCP in Desantis Pocket Holster (backup)
    Member - SAF, OFF,
    NRA Life Member

Senior Moderator
    I'm sorry what was that, I'm so poor I can't pay attention
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Was wondering if this is new, having the screen print so large.
    I've never seen ultra-large lettering, on ATM screens. On the couple of occasions I've checked the other buttons (such as Balance), the point-size of the lettering seemed normal and in-line with the other screens.

As for use of ATM's ... I'm with you: normally, I simply do the cash-back method at my grocery store. Simple part of an existing transaction, and it avoids common use of the ATM's.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I've never seen ultra-large lettering, on ATM screens. On the couple of occasions I've checked the other buttons (such as Balance), the point-size of the lettering seemed normal and in-line with the other screens.

As for use of ATM's ... I'm with you: normally, I simply do the cash-back method at my grocery store. Simple part of an existing transaction, and it avoids common use of the ATM's.
    That is the only reason I posted this. Someone came up with the idea of stepping up closer....well, now we know after it my balance was flashed to the world LOL. Of course the prudent method is to One-use one inside and 2:get a print out.

I might run down there later tonight and take a pic of how big it was just so folks get an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    I might run down there later tonight and take a pic of how big it was just so folks get an idea.
    It's worth making a bit of a stink with the bank and/or ATM company, as they might well not have considered the stupidity of having uber-large print on screens, in terms of what that means for criminals who leverage ATM's as convenient "watering holes" where the sheep come to drink.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    I always use the drive up ATMs and pull up close enough that someone cannot squeeze between my vehicle and ATM. And to the horror of tree huggers I get a paper receipt rather than have it on-screen.
    ccw9mm likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    They have to use large print here in FL for all the little old folks who can't see over the dashes of their Caddies.
    msgt/ret likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links