Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck

This is a discussion on Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hope you heal up quick. Buddy of mine was rear ended at a stop sign about a year ago. Good reason to never pull up ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck

Hope you heal up quick. Buddy of mine was rear ended at a stop sign about a year ago. Good reason to never pull up tight behind a vehicle at a stop sign. Give yourself plenty of room just in case.

Michael

2. Remove Ads

Angels were looking out for you.

In my years in EMS the vast majority of motorcycle accidents were caused by the other vehicle. Usually because the driver operating the larger vehicle was inflicted with "cranial/recital inversion" (also known as "head were the sun doesn't shine disorder").

Motorcycle riders have to not only watch their driving, but all those around them like hawks. My daughter and her husband belong to the American Legion Riders and I always worry about them...not because of their actions.

Hope you recover quickly, but don't discount the residue of the injuries as you get older (arthritis).
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Glad your ok, close call for sure.

I sold my VFR after too many close calls from other vehicles. I now ride a dirtbike to get my 2 wheel fix. I "crash" almost every ride but usually get up laughing, dust off and keep on going. My falls are 99% rider error vs other guy error.

Stay safe

You are a lucky man and I'm glad that you're alive and able to tell the story. I've been riding for almost 30 years, and thank God, besides some close calls, no accidents. I hope you recover soon.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Saying you are lucky... is an understatement.

She needs to loose her license ... for a very very very long time.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Glad you survived and are here to tell your story. You got richly blessed!
    Glock 22 Gen 4 w/CBST
    Kimber Compact CDP II w/Silent Thunder
    A man, without force, is without the essential dignity of humanity. Human nature is so constituted, that it cannot honor a helpless man, although it can pity him; and even this it cannot do long, if the signs of power do not arise.

Idiot drivers are my worst fear. Especially right now. With all this oil work we have people coming from all over the place to work here. They think these two lane highways are 4-lane interstates or something. We have one highway here that is absolutely horrible now. I can't count how many times I've come up over a hill and had some moron coming at me in my lane. They have NO idea how to pass.

This kind of thing makes me re-think my project bike...

I feel ya, I almost got sideswiped by a van on saturday. I believe the guy in the van was a hater. He knew I was coming out from the driveway to the right lane, and he just have to change lane as I already enter the lane.

WOW, that is awful and glad you are alright. As a rider myself I can't begin to say how many close calls I have had as well due to awful drivers. Its like they are attracted to the bike. In my car I have had maybe 1/32 of the close over the 9 years I have been driving compared to the two seasons on my bike. Often it is something as simple as failing to look over their shoulder. Idiots I hope this women burns slow for being so wreckless.

Glad you're more or less OK! Heal up fast and stay safe out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit51 View Post
    Motorcycle riders have to not only watch their driving, but all those around them like hawks. My daughter and her husband belong to the American Legion Riders and I always worry about them...not because of their actions.
    This is why I don't ride. I thought about getting one to save on gas, but then I realized that no matter how safe I am I cannot predict the actions of others. It makes me sad. I know I'd have fun riding but... I just can't do it.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

WOW!

I am glad that was all.....
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links