Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck

Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck

This is a discussion on Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I was heading to work on my motorcycle ('06 Suzuki SV650S) and i was one block away sitting in the left turn lane waiting for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck

Post Very nearly died the other day - motorcycle wreck

I was heading to work on my motorcycle ('06 Suzuki SV650S) and i was one block away sitting in the left turn lane waiting for the light to change. I heard tires once the vehicle behind me was within about 10ft and then BAM! I was side swiped by a van traveling ~50mph. I didn't notice it until i started looking around but it nearly pushed my bike into the middle of the intersection about 10-15ft forward. I didn't even drop the bike though, I balanced on my other foot. As soon as it hit i just saw black plastic and debris fly in front of me (from my right elbow taking her mirror off). My whole right side started hurting (mainly my foot). I watched the van, waiting for brake lights... But it just swerved a little and kept going forward. I started looking at the bike and noticed the mirror was dangling, my exhaust was destroyed, and my shoe fell off and my sock nearly came off too. It was almost 10:30pm so it was a little hard to see, but at a first glance I just saw a red spot and something white on top of it. I was unsure if it was a compound fracture or what my injuries were. Luckily what I had noticed was just an abrasion and it was just torn up skin. My injuries were minor given the situation. I was very lucky that I had full riding gear and I just have some bruising on various spots down my right side. My foot is fractured and sprained pretty good though. But if you look closely at the pictures, my right rear turn signal was struck and if she had been about 3 or 4 inches farther to the left I would have been completely rear ended; or if I had decided to stop slightly to the right in my lane.

So I consider myself very lucky, and hey, I get two days off work. :P

Here's a news article on the accident:
    Motorcyclist Suffers Broken Foot

----- ALSO, in the crash report she claims she swerved to avoid a semi coming into her path, but the witness said the semi put on the turn signal and began to come over but stopped and never crossed the center line. And she said she thought she hit a pole? She must not have been paying any attention at all (texting? falling asleep??) because she would have noticed the semi coming over before and could have honked, plus she would have known there was a turn lane. Another thing.... she would have went into the grass before striking some kind of pole, they arent just in the middle of the road -_- but at least they caught her, arrested her, and she is facing a felony at this time.
    Attached Images
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

hbc
    I hope you heal quickly, and I hope they lock up that clueless ..... for a long time.

VIP Member
    Wow you were lucky a few inches to the left would have been a much worse outcome. Thinking she hit a post is a poor excuse for running someone down then leaving the scene of an accident.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Yeah, I was pretty confused for a few seconds until I realized exactly what had happened. Once I got a good look at the bike I realized just how lucky I was. Pretty sure that exhaust saved most of my leg. If it had not been there I'm positive my injuries would have been much worse.
    Matthew 10:28 "And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather fear him who can destroy both soul and body in hell." ✞

*FACEPALM*

A post, in the middle of the road. Yes, that's what happened. I guess her mirrors don't work either and she couldn't look back to see that she'd hit a motorcycle and it's rider...

I'm speechless, honestly. But I'm glad you're alright, dude.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    You got lucky. Last year on a poker run a guy in front of me pulled out to cross a road in orange grove country, in front of a pickup that hit him on the rear wheel, spun him around twice, wrecked the swingarm and wheel, but he only had some rash on his arm. You just never know. Heal fast and ding her insurance hard. It may look like minor damage but it may be best to get "totalled", keep the bike and fix it.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Hopefully if all goes well I could pay the bike off, fix most of it, and still have enough to get that stainless Colt Gold Cup Trophy that I've been eying for a while.... BUT I'm gonna have to see how everything plays out before I make any plans a i guess. Never hurts to fantasize a little though, right?
    carracer likes this.

Glad you are ok. That is what these airheads can do to us on bikes

Sent via Messenger Pigeon

sad part is, just 2-2 1/2 months before i laid it down after locking it up cuz i was in the lane by the curb and a lady didnt check mirrors, use a turn signal or anything and quickly pulled into my lane. Skinned up my elbow, knee, and my left hand was raw. But I got really good riding gear after that. Im sure my jacket saved my arm when her mirror hit it. It cracked the plastic of the mirror which would have likely cut my arm or at least hurt it more than it did (my jacket has the plastic armor on the inside)

The Lord was holding ur hand on this one. Stuff like this is why I don't ride motorcycles or bikes on the road anymore.
    Erick46590 and RichB70 like this.
    The police are not there to protect you from crime, they are there to arrest the guy after the crime has been committed, assuming they find him. It is your responsibility to protect yourself and your family.

Lucky, lucky man. And that yoshi is messed up in a kinda funny looking way, never seen that before.haha Wait, insurance IS gonna pay, right?

Hope all is well.
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Should be. She had insurance. My insurance is going to contact hers and then get back with me to let me know what all is going on. And yeah, that pipe is all jacked up haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    The Lord was holding ur hand on this one.
    agreed. couldn't have gotten luckier. probly as close as i could have possibly gotten to just gettin smashed by her van

How long after she hit you was she arrested,it's very possible she was DUI and left the scene to avoid not only a dui but if she had killed you a manslaughter charge.Then claiming geez I thought it was an inanimate object.
    Little different scenario,but Buffalo NY Doctor kills 18 year old female skateboarder in hit and run DUI,lawyers up and beats the charges,claimed his expensive car insulated the impact and he didn't realize he had struck anybody,He may have beat a criminal manslaughter,but his practice will take a hit not to mention the civil judgement
    http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...G-5g3QVaeJuEsQ
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

If she fled from the scene of the wreck, I would hire the best lawyer I can find and sue the bejeezus out of her. There are too many of these idiots these days that just take off without owing up to their screw ups. I ride motorcycle also, and I keep my head on a swivel for these clowns. I hate to say it, but the worst menaces are the soccer moms on their cell phones. Just glad that you came out of it without too much damage, and hopefully you will be back on the road again soon!
    Doodle, Sky Pilot and Bad Bob like this.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links