Potential Disgruntled Church Member - Page 2

Potential Disgruntled Church Member

This is a discussion on Potential Disgruntled Church Member within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg I would agree with this, but part of helping him become "a better Christian" may be church discipline, or at least ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Potential Disgruntled Church Member

Distinguished Member Array bigmacque's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I would agree with this, but part of helping him become "a better Christian" may be church discipline, or at least the steps towards it found in Matt. 18. He should be interviewed and/or confronted by the Church to see if he is repentant. If he isn't, he should be excommunicated and cast out from the fellowship of the congregation. The point is to (hopefully) reconcile him to the church and bring him back into fellowship.

In the mean time, it doesn't hurt to remain armed and cautious, if he hasn't shown that he's changed his ways.
    Excellent response.

Most people mis-quote the portion of Matt. 18 that states, "wherever two or more are gathered in my name, I will be among them." That is part of a larger thought that responds to church discipline. If he is not fitting in with your church, and coud be disruptive, then I see no wrong in asking him to seek another congregation.
    I'm in favor of gun control -- I think every citizen should have control of a gun.
    1 Thess. 5:16-18

Rock and a hard place. Stay vigilant, do not let him have any personal info. Keep an eye on your mail box, and be a good Christian. Forgiving but mindful. Your sense are telling you something for a reason. I have friends who were BAD. They did their penance, and are different people. I do not feel the way you describe around them regardless of their past. Him still giving this vibe, means something.
    JoJoGunn and GeorgiaDawg like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Take him for a walk in the woods.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    It is pardonable to be defeated but never surprised.
    2 Ruger alaskan .454s
    Ruger P95
    Rem 870
    Barrett .50BMG

Quote Originally Posted by IronMike View Post
    Take him for a walk in the woods.
    Very Christ like
    JoJoGunn likes this.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    So he is a con artist and sneak thief. Low odds on him shooting the place up. High odds on him using the church as a hunting grounds, if he can learn something there he can use to his profit, like "Who has something worth stealing while they are at church and where do they live?" Very high odds that he has already tried to get into cars in the parking lot.

Some of your members will invite him into their homes so they can witness to him and try to save him, right? The only reason for him going in those homes will be to line up stuff to steal.
    JoJoGunn and paramedic70002 like this.

Hopefully the church has hidden security cameras,I wouldn't doubt for a minute that he may be trying to get access to areas of the church to see what kind of electronics there are/cash drawer etc.,not to mention trying to befriend older members and offer to help with chores looking to steal/scam from them.People that really want to change are usually upfront and honest and because in their past checkered lives have taken they now learn to freely give their time etc.
    Sounds like he is still living in the "entitlement" part and I wouldn't trust him
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The church will always have these types seeking to fleece the sheep because of their kindness and generosity. I feel in this situation the following thought fits: "Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves." -- Jesus.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Welcome to my home, that door you just kicked in, was locked for your protection, not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by BroBud View Post
    The church will always have these types seeking to fleece the sheep because of their kindness and generosity. I feel in this situation the following thought fits: "Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves." -- Jesus.
    And don't forget Luke 22:35-36 ..."sell your coat and buy a gun"

Snarky humor aside, my prayers for you, and your church. I dislike "dis-fellowship," but I can see an occasional use for it. This may be one of those occasions.

That's a shame. It's hard being a Christian, sometimes.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I would sure not let this guy near any information of the church, it's people, or it's money / funds.
    I'm not sure if someone (politely mind you ) ask him about all of his troubles, and if there is any 'counseling ' the church could do that might help him in his struggles. It nicely lets him know that you ARE aware there is a lot of things going on.
    JoJoGunn and darbo like this.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Or... You could set up a sting. If he gets caught red handed, charge and trespass him.
    JoJoGunn likes this.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

No one has mentioned this so maybe it's a bad idea but has anyone communicated with local law enforcement about this guy? Maybe one of the church members is LE?
    JoJoGunn likes this.

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaDawg View Post
    I would agree with this, but part of helping him become "a better Christian" may be church discipline, or at least the steps towards it found in Matt. 18. He should be interviewed and/or confronted by the Church to see if he is repentant. If he isn't, he should be excommunicated and cast out from the fellowship of the congregation. The point is to (hopefully) reconcile him to the church and bring him back into fellowship.

In the mean time, it doesn't hurt to remain armed and cautious, if he hasn't shown that he's changed his ways.
    Agreed but lots of churches don't practice church discipline anymore ( ours does).

The OP has posted the quandary of church security. Our mission is to the sinners of this world and we should be open to them. But with that comes some pretty bad people and some danger. We have to be alert, aware and ever diligent in protecting the flock.

I head a church security team and just two weeks ago had to have someone trespassed warned. Now if he comes on the property again he will go to jail. As an ex LEO and a pretty pro police guy you would think that trespass warning someone would be pretty easy but it was one of the hardest decisions I have ever had to make.
    Last edited by mkh; September 29th, 2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: Spelling
    JoJoGunn likes this.

JJG,

As a pastor, this is one of those really difficult situations.
    You have already had good advice.
    I'll just chime in to agree that it is time to practice Matt 18.
    Someone needs to talk to the guy and give him the guidelines on his interaction with the members and staff.
    Let him know that if he violates those rules, you all WILL go to the governing board to deal with this.
    Do NOT allow this first conversation to be done alone!

If he violates those rules, take it to the board. Tell him you are taking it to the board (don't allow anyone to be with him alone).

If he cannot abide by the rules, he must be made to leave, including trespassing him, if necessary.
    As has already been pointed out-wise as serpents, innocent as doves.
    He cannot be allowed to be in a place where he can harm "little ones" of any age.

My 2 shekels.
    GeorgiaDawg and JoJoGunn like this.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links