All kinds of bad - Walmart sued for false imprisonment andripping up 100 dollar bills

This is a discussion on All kinds of bad - Walmart sued for false imprisonment andripping up 100 dollar bills within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint Why I don't shop at Walmart. You don't shop at Wal-mart because an employee in San Antonio tore up this woman's ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: All kinds of bad - Walmart sued for false imprisonment andripping up 100 dollar bills

Quote Originally Posted by ExactlyMyPoint View Post
    Why I don't shop at Walmart.
    You don't shop at Wal-mart because an employee in San Antonio tore up this woman's $100 bill?
    kb2wji and jumpwing like this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Sounds like she may have a good case but why did she wait almost two years to file it.
    TX statute of limitations on false imprisonment - 2 years. Better than waiting two years and one day!

I enjoy the reaction when I pay with an “Ike” dollar or a Kennedy half. Cashiers will generally stare at them and a few have even asked if it is real money. I do remember a story where a McDonalds detained a customer and called police when he paid for his meal with two-dollar bills.
    You have picked another place off of my, places I never go, to. What do you expect when you go to places like Walmart or Mc Donalds lol
    Our House Is Protected By The Good Lord And A gun. You Might Meet Both Of Them If You Show Up Inside My House Uninvited.

VIP Member
    She has probably already cashed a five figure check, presented to her by a walmart representative in a suit and dark glasses.

If not, she will be shortly.
    I would have had this one filed with the prosecuting attorney the next day.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    She has probably already cashed a five figure check, presented to her by a walmart representative in a suit and dark glasses.

If not, she will be shortly.
    I would have had this one filed with the prosecuting attorney the next day.
    Either that or they gave her a free TV. Believe it or not, I actually know someone that "slipped" at Walmart and was given a free TV as compensation.

We all know that Walmart doesn't pay very much money so they do not have the sharpest tacks in the box working there, a while back I had something happen to me also in Walmart and what I learned was to never hand over your receipt (you can show it to them) but do not hand it to them if you do you cannot leave the store with your item you purchased , and also in most states it is illegal for a store to detain somebody, they can ask you to stay but they cannot detain you (only law-enforcement can do that), if some idiot in a store said they were detaining me that I could not leave the first thing I would do is call 911 tell them I am being held against my will I am kidnapped and that I will be pressing charges, and as far as that woman goes her money was stolen and they also destroyed US currency I would be suing for theft and also for being held against my will and kidnapped,

That's why I don't like going to Walmart. Every darn time I go in there they tear up my 100 dollar bills. I hate when they do that!!
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    For the record, I've shopped at Walmart hundreds of times and the very worst of my experiences have been a slow cashier and a shortage of 230gr 45 ACP.
    Easily remedied now that ammo is back in stock and I know which cashiers to avoid.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    That's why I don't like going to Walmart. Every darn time I go in there they tear up my 100 dollar bills. I hate when they do that!!
    Should we demand that the person who tore up the bills be prosecuted?
    18 USC § 333 - Mutilation of national bank obligations | LII / Legal Information Institute
    Whoever mutilates, cuts, defaces, disfigures, or perforates, or unites or cements together, or does any other thing to any bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt issued by any national banking association, or Federal Reserve bank, or the Federal Reserve System, with intent to render such bank bill, draft, note, or other evidence of debt unfit to be reissued, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.
    Michael

Walmart might as well get out the checkbook, and put a number down with a lot of zeros behind it....... but they will try their best to get out of it, and beat her down with the attorneys they have ..... which will only increase the amount of the eventual settlement.

I would have pushed the officers to arrest them for attempted theft and kidnapping charges. If they did a citizen's arrest, is the only way they could try to defend themselves.... but, our laws state ... "observe them committing a felony" .... you have to know what they did was truly a felony and truly a crime.
    Last edited by Eagleks; September 30th, 2012 at 06:23 PM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    18 USC § 333 - Mutilation of national bank obligations | LII / Legal Information Institute

Michael
    Heck no! That would mean us Fatcats who light our cigars with $100 bills could be prosecuted, too!

Hmm...after thinking this through some more, perhaps I need to shop at walmart...with my friend Benjamin. Maybe I can get him some company.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Madcap_Magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I would go there if they would provide the $100 bills to tear up, I don't seem to have any of my own.
    Hakkaa päälle!

VIP Member
    Sounds like she may have a good case but why did she wait almost two years to file it.
    Sometimes it takes time for the lawyers to get their ducks lined up, and there is nothing wrong with waiting till the filing
    deadline. Doing so may even make things more difficult for the defendants. Memories fade, evidence gets disposed of as a routine with the thought that the items are unimportant. Since you win civil suits by preponderance of the evidence,
    waiting to file can be a winning strategy.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post

Michael
    Perhaps.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links