All kinds of bad - Walmart sued for false imprisonment andripping up 100 dollar bills

All kinds of bad - Walmart sued for false imprisonment andripping up 100 dollar bills

This is a discussion on All kinds of bad - Walmart sued for false imprisonment andripping up 100 dollar bills within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; What were these two dimbulbs thinking? Garcia was "detained"... Yeah try that on me and see how well it goes for you with 2 broken ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: All kinds of bad - Walmart sued for false imprisonment andripping up 100 dollar bills

What were these two dimbulbs thinking? Garcia was "detained"... Yeah try that on me and see how well it goes for you with 2 broken arms shoved down your gullet.

Walmart sued for ripping up $100 bills - WSMV Channel 4
    Woman suing Walmart for ripping up $100 bills
    Posted: Sep 17, 2012 8:17 AM EDT Updated: Sep 18, 2012 2:57 AM EDT
    By Derrick Chengery - email

Julia Garcia is suing Walmart after she said employees ripped up two of her $100 bills on grounds that they were counterfeit. (Source: Walmart) Julia Garcia is suing Walmart after she said employees ripped up two of her $100 bills on grounds that they were counterfeit. (Source: Walmart)

SAN ANTONIO (RNN) - A woman in Texas is putting her money where her mouth is, suing Walmart after a cashier and manager intentionally ripped two of her $100 bills and detained her for hours after they suspected the currency was counterfeit.

According to a document from the 150th Judicial District Court in Bexar County, TX, Julia Garcia said she was Christmas shopping for her children at a Walmart store in the San Antonio area on Dec. 12, 2010.

Garcia just sold her vehicle and had two $100 and $50 bills to pay for her items. When she checked out of the store at 2 a.m., she gave the cashier one of each.

The cashier inspected the $100 bill, showed it to another cashier, and told Garcia the $100 bill was "fake." Garcia claims the cashier ripped up the bill in front of her without performing any counterfeit tests. She also maintains that the metallic strip in the bill was "clearly visible."

After tearing the bill, the cashier tested it by using a counterfeit detection pen. The pen left a yellow mark on the bill, indicating that it was actually real. However, the cashier told Garcia that the store was keeping the money.

Garcia asked to see a manager about being refunded. A Walmart employee identified in a court petition as "Russell" responded to Garcia's request.

Copyright 2012 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    Sounds like she may have a good case but why did she wait almost two years to file it.
    joker1 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Why I don't shop at Walmart.
    minimalbrat likes this.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I was at another business, a sports store with authority, and two foreign guys where making a purchase. The cashier and manager checked the bills, told them they could not take them,then told them to try them at another store. That's right, pass it elsewhere.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Wal mart...nuff said.
    OldVet, RichB70 and minimalbrat like this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

I would have been be on the phone with 911 saying I was being held against my will and had been robbed.
    DC, skew12, pgrass101 and 1 others like this.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Two hours waiting on police?

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Two hours waiting on police?

Michael
    Pretty quick compared to the average huh!?!
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

Stupid people do stupid things. Maybe it's easier to think stupidity is caused by some corporate entity, but we only need to read the daily news to see stupidity is everywhere in our society.

Cipolla's five fundamental laws of stupidity:
    1. Always and inevitably each of us underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
    2. The probability that a given person is stupid is independent of any other characteristic possessed by that person.
    3. A person is stupid if they cause damage to another person or group of people without experiencing personal gain, or even worse causing damage to themselves in the process.
    4. Non-stupid people always underestimate the harmful potential of stupid people; they constantly forget that at any time anywhere, and in any circumstance, dealing with or associating themselves with stupid individuals invariably constitutes a costly error.
    5. A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person there is.

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

I love the walmart. Its a great place for entertainment and cheap prices. What more do you need on a saturday morning.....
    RichB70 likes this.
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

Never be ashamed of a scar. It simply means, that you were stronger than whatever tried to hurt you......

Quote Originally Posted by Glhadiator View Post
    Stupid people do stupid things. Maybe it's easier to think stupidity is caused by some corporate entity, but we only need to read the daily news to see stupidity is everywhere in our society.

Cipolla's five fundamental laws of stupidity:
    1. Always and inevitably each of us underestimates the number of stupid individuals in circulation.
    2. The probability that a given person is stupid is independent of any other characteristic possessed by that person.
    3. A person is stupid if they cause damage to another person or group of people without experiencing personal gain, or even worse causing damage to themselves in the process.
    4. Non-stupid people always underestimate the harmful potential of stupid people; they constantly forget that at any time anywhere, and in any circumstance, dealing with or associating themselves with stupid individuals invariably constitutes a costly error.
    5. A stupid person is the most dangerous type of person there is.
    Then you have to factor in the effect a large number of stupid people can have on society.

Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are cunning and you sleep with your mouth open.

Quote Originally Posted by RemMod597 View Post
    Then you have to factor in the effect a large number of stupid people can have on society.
    There is actually a name for that....

It's called: CONGRESS

Serve my country, swear an oath to protect it, pay my taxes, fly old glory in the front yard, love and protect my family, honor the vets before me and help fellow americans in need.
    By definition my country now calls me a radical

Distinguished Member Array noway2's Avatar
    She also maintains that the metallic strip in the bill was "clearly visible." After tearing the bill, the cashier tested it by using a counterfeit detection pen. The pen left a yellow mark on the bill, indicating that it was actually real.
    In my first job after graduation, I worked for a company that made paper currency validation equipment. There are a lot of really interesting features built into the money to help distinguish counterfeits that aren't visible to the eye: sections that are magnetic, parts that are blank when held under infrared, parts that fluoresce under UV or other odd frequencies of light, as well as having paper of certain density, and a few other things. Working for that job, I can also say that I've had the honor of making a phone call to the US Secret Service and asking them to send me some high quality counterfeits, which they did. We used them to test the equipment and program it to reject the fakes.

VIP Member
    Reminds me of the recent stories about two dollar bills................
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Reminds me of the recent stories about two dollar bills................
    I enjoy the reaction when I pay with an “Ike” dollar or a Kennedy half. Cashiers will generally stare at them and a few have even asked if it is real money. I do remember a story where a McDonalds detained a customer and called police when he paid for his meal with two-dollar bills.
    goldshellback likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links