Ignorance/Apathy Today - Page 2

Ignorance/Apathy Today

This is a discussion on Ignorance/Apathy Today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by oneshot ^^^^^If someone pays for the purchase,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and the person for whom the firearm will belong to is the one filling out ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ignorance/Apathy Today

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    ^^^^^If someone pays for the purchase,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and the person for whom the firearm will belong to is the one filling out the paperwork, that is not a problem.
    I've been researching BATFE's website, and it looks like it's illegal if you're buying for someone whether they could purchase themselves or not. However, if it is a gift for someone, that's not illegal. How they would know the difference between a gift or not I don't know, but that's the way it seems.
    oneshot likes this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

Here's a link to a page on BATFE's website, where they have a silly dramatization of someone trying to "straw purchase" a firearm, and they are turned down. It explains the law, though it doesn't actually give the specific language of the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    Went to a local gunshop/shooting range to get some boxes of 5.56mm ammo for my AR-15 shooting next Saturday. Suddenly, as I walk inside, I see 2 boys, about 6-8 yrs. old handling their father's 9mm Luger pistol and aiming it in everyone's direction. As I passed by them, I told them without embarrassing them to everyone that it isn't a good idea to point the gun in front of customers at the store. The boys' father, hearing what I said, acknowledge his mistake and accepted responsibility. He then quietly scolded them for doing that. Good on him for being honest. But why he had to wait until someone like me correct them is what makes me wonder. Doesn't matter if the gun is unloaded. All guns should always be treated as if they are loaded. And to handle guns like that in an irresponsible manner is another accident/tragedy waiting to happen. I see someone handling a gun in an irresponsible manner, I point it out. Again, no one should take gun safety for granted until it is too late.

As I see it, the mistake wasn't that he let the boys point the firearm at everyone...it's that he was letting them play with it.
    I've let my daughter (she's only 2) check out my guns, but I always have positive control of them, and she gets her excitement of seeing daddy's guns while learning about them.

This guy's mistake was definitely just letting his kids play with the gun without him paying a lick of attention.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    These knuckleheads will be a statistic in a few years.
    How can you say that? These kids were "6-8 years old".. plenty of time to be taught better, so let's not count them out just yet.

-- I don't always post from my mobile but when I do, I prefer Tapatalk.
    "Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God." - Benjamin Franklin
    "Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Here's a link to a page on BATFE's website, where they have a silly dramatization of someone trying to "straw purchase" a firearm, and they are turned down. It explains the law, though it doesn't actually give the specific language of the law.
    Here's the basic language of the law, regarding "straw" purchases and gifts, which basically hinges on the buyer's intent: Federal Firearms Regulation Reference Guide, p165.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links