Ignorance/Apathy Today

Ignorance/Apathy Today

This is a discussion on Ignorance/Apathy Today within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Went to a local gunshop/shooting range to get some boxes of 5.56mm ammo for my AR-15 shooting next Saturday. Suddenly, as I walk inside, I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Ignorance/Apathy Today

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar

Ignorance/Apathy Today

Went to a local gunshop/shooting range to get some boxes of 5.56mm ammo for my AR-15 shooting next Saturday. Suddenly, as I walk inside, I see 2 boys, about 6-8 yrs. old handling their father's 9mm Luger pistol and aiming it in everyone's direction. As I passed by them, I told them without embarrassing them to everyone that it isn't a good idea to point the gun in front of customers at the store. The boys' father, hearing what I said, acknowledge his mistake and accepted responsibility. He then quietly scolded them for doing that. Good on him for being honest. But why he had to wait until someone like me correct them is what makes me wonder. Doesn't matter if the gun is unloaded. All guns should always be treated as if they are loaded. And to handle guns like that in an irresponsible manner is another accident/tragedy waiting to happen. I see someone handling a gun in an irresponsible manner, I point it out. Again, no one should take gun safety for granted until it is too late.

VIP Member
    These knuckleheads will be a statistic in a few years.
    Poseidon and ccw9mm like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Administrator
    Good thing that one of the two boys didn't have the hiccups.
    oneshot likes this.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Stories like this make me amazed that there aren't more stories about children shooting people with their parents' guns...
    Though defensive violence will always be a sad necessity in the eyes of men of principle, it would be still more unfortunate if wrongdoers should dominate just men -St. Augustine

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    These poor kids and their knucklehead father will be a statistic in a few years.
    Fixed
    As we used to teach in the spook business, carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody - and he finds out about it - he may be very angry with you. -- Jeff Cooper

Every SINGLE time I ask the question "how stupid can people be?" someone breaks the existing record!
    Poseidon, mano3 and oneshot like this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Senior Member Array jblives2ride's Avatar
    seen the same thing at Academy was wasting time while the wife was at an appointment, guy and wife or grilfriend pointing at everything and waving gun around, I politely said I would rather he didn't point it my way and the salesmen then began to get nervous so I went to the other end of the counter came back after they deceided on a gun only to find out the girlfriend was buying the gun for him which i then noted to the salesmen was against the law... what do you do?
    I would rather live my life as if there is a God,
    And die to find out there isn't, than live my life
    As if there isn't, and die to find out there is.
    God Bless

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    As I see it, the mistake wasn't that he let the boys point the firearm at everyone...it's that he was letting them play with it.
    dukalmighty likes this.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    As I see it, the mistake wasn't that he let the boys point the firearm at everyone...it's that he was letting them play with it.
    Exactly,because one day and it will probably be sooner than later "Dipstick" will lay down his loaded Luger and one of the kids will pick it up point it at somebody and pull the trigger
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Storm View Post
    The boys' father, hearing what I said, acknowledge his mistake and accepted responsibility. He then quietly scolded them for doing that. Good on him for being honest. But why he had to wait until someone like me correct them is what makes me wonder.
    This is the toughest part about horrible handling/safety procedures: it's ingrained, it's well-practiced, and it passes from generation to generation without the slightest thought.

Like you, I try to point out crappy safety procedure whenever I find it. It can easily become a life-or-death situation. If not then, then in future. And without correction, it's entirely likely to be exactly that.

Each and every mentor with firearms that I've had has spent the first portion of every get-together focusing on and stressing the fundamentals, basic safety, basic handling regimen. Likewise, I've done much the same each and every time I've introduced someone else to firearms, focusing on the safety and handling basics.

With one "student" in particular, I realized his training as an engineer and zero prior firearms experience was an opportunity. I brought out a dozen different rifles and handguns to the range. One by one, we stressed safety, the nature of the given firearm, its basic stripping, reassembly and function, its basic use, and the basic differences between it and the others we'd been handling. We didn't fire more than a few magazines through each, before moving on to the next, but by the end of the session, we'd been through the basic safety regimen well over a dozen times, done basic clearing, stripping and reassembly more than a dozen times, and understood from the inside out the reason why each firearm could be a danger until it was treated as loaded at all times.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    seen the same thing at Academy was wasting time while the wife was at an appointment, guy and wife or grilfriend pointing at everything and waving gun around, I politely said I would rather he didn't point it my way and the salesmen then began to get nervous so I went to the other end of the counter came back after they deceided on a gun only to find out the girlfriend was buying the gun for him which i then noted to the salesmen was against the law... what do you do?
    Why? Is buying a firearm as a gift against the law in TX? I've bought a gun for my son as a gift and he's done likewise. It's not a "straw purchase" as we both are legally able to buy guns.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I've bought & gifted guns as well. But I didn't buy it FOR them. I bought it for me...to GIVE to them. Have I broken a Federal Law?
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    -
    Exactly. That's the part that I don't get. That father should have either have his pistol holstered or cased. Glad I am back to outdoor shooting again. Indoor ranges got too many morons like them Not knocking indoor ranges but it's from what I have experienced shooting there. That shooting range has had a history of safety violations and a suicide (heard about one that occured as told by my supervisor). And this would not be good on them if another mishap took place. I hope that father and his 2 sons learned from that experience and I do not take very kindly to unsafe gun handlers. And I don't care who they are. I see someone handle a gun unsafe, I will point it out and can be very harsh with grownups. Better for them to get chewed out and learn from it than to learn it after a tragic mishap as a result of someone's negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by jblives2ride View Post
    Why? Is buying a firearm as a gift against the law in TX? I've bought a gun for my son as a gift and he's done likewise. It's not a "straw purchase" as we both are legally able to buy guns.
    I've bought & gifted guns as well. But I didn't buy it FOR them. I bought it for me...to GIVE to them. Have I broken a Federal Law?
    The way I understand it (and I'm pretty sure it's this way), it's only a straw purchase and therefore illegal if you are buying a gun FOR somebody who cannot legally own/purchase a gun for themselves.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    The way I understand it (and I'm pretty sure it's this way), it's only a straw purchase and therefore illegal if you are buying a gun FOR somebody who cannot legally own/purchase a gun for themselves.

^^^^^If someone pays for the purchase,^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

and the person for whom the firearm will belong to is the one filling out the paperwork, that is not a problem.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links