Book thread - post your most recent read here

This is a discussion on Book thread - post your most recent read here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A few months ago, I finished reading Aztec , by Gary Jennings . An exceptionally rich story, set in the Aztec region of modern-day Mexico ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Book thread - post your most recent read here

A few months ago, I finished reading Aztec, by Gary Jennings. An exceptionally rich story, set in the Aztec region of modern-day Mexico as told by an old man whose life spanned the last decades prior to the invasion of the Conquistadors.
    Hopyard and Kadelic like this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array BigStick's Avatar
    Broke - Glen Beck
    Robot Visions - Issac Asimov
    Beyond the Shadows - Brent Weeks

Started reading Catch 22 but got so bored, first book I have ever started and not finished.
    I read The Road and did not like it. Very very dark, not much useful information, really no redeaming value in my opinion. Just a depressing look at how depraved and desperate humanity can become. I am assuming it is supposed to be about the relationship of the father and son, but it just wasn't there for me.
    Walk softly ...

VIP Member
    I've been reading biographies of our Presidents and leading political figures. Latest was of Madison; prior, Grant.

I need to read yet another one on Madison; I still don't have him figured out.

Grant may have been one of the best of all times; someone we don't pay enough attention to these days.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

I am 2/3 through the Hunger Games trilogy. Not great but entertaining.

The greatest book I've read is still The Godfather.

Not to start a fight but I am pretty sure God didn't write the Bible.

I just re-read Job: A Comedy of Justice by Robert Heinlein
    200px-Jobcomedy.jpg
    and am currently reading When You Look Like Your Passport Photo, It's Time to Go Home by Erma Bombeck
    6876582-M.jpg
    Kadelic likes this.
    Steve
    An armed society is a polite society

Quote Originally Posted by PEF View Post
    Curious about the reading habits of the members. Let's see if this thread lasts. When you have completed a book, post it here if you care to share, along with any thoughts. I'll start with the last several books I've read:

1) No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy (Kindle) After seeing the movie I was expecting something along the lines of "Blood Meridian."* All in all a satisfying read.
    2) Wool Omnibus & First Shift - Hugh Howrey - (Kindle) I'll count these two as one read. Howrey is a self-publishing phenom on the Kindle. Wool Omnibus reads like a Sci-Fi classic. Enjoyed it immensely.

Next candidates on my list:
    Maybe one of William Kennedy's Albany novels**; maybe The Orchard Keeper by McCarthy; or maybe the latest Zombie/Vampire fiction (I like "beach books" too, and Cronin's "The Twelve" will be on my Kindle when it is released in October, as will the latest in Bourne's Day By Day Armageddon series). I'll post again when I've read something.

* I'll admit that there were many passages in Blood Meridian that I did not understand, I'm not going to try to fake it.
    ** I only have these in paperback! ugh. How did I manage before Kindle?
    Not to alter the topic but, I watched the movie "No Country for Old Men" three times. Great movie BTW.

So, what ever happened to the two million dollars?

This movie begs for a sequel.
    I think, therefore I am...

<the Menace>

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post
    Not to alter the topic but, I watched the movie "No Country for Old Men" three times. Great movie BTW.

I'm sure it's out there... the two million dollars, that is... Do you remember the real live oriental gal that was looking for the suitcase full of money from the movie Fargo? The gal died of exposure IIRC, trying to find it along the highway... sad, that
    It could be worse.
    "A law that burdens the exercise of an enumerated constitutional right by simply making that right more difficult to exercise cannot be considered “reasonably adapted” to a government interest, no matter how substantial that interest may be."
    Wollard V Sheridan

Soldier of the Great War. by Mark Helprin

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0380715899
    RichB70 likes this.

Oops, forgot to add a book in my post:
    Just started: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown.

My two favorite books (besides the Bible):
    Fail-Safe --Totally blows away the movie.
    Rise and Fall of the Third Reich-William L. Shirer
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

OD*
    Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    Oops, forgot to add a book in my post:
    Just started: Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee: An Indian History of the American West by Dee Brown.
    My two favorite books (besides the Bible):
    Fail-Safe --Totally blows away the movie.
    Rise and Fall of the Third Reich-William L. Shirer
    Excellent book, as is Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto by Vine Victor Deloria, Jr.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Diligentia Vis Celeritas"

"There is very little new, and the forgotten is constantly being rediscovered."
    ~ Tiger McKee

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    Excellent book, as is Custer Died for Your Sins: An Indian Manifesto by Vine Victor Deloria, Jr.
    Agree. Also "To Hell With Honor". Different perspective on the Custer story.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis1209 View Post

Ah... if you read the book, you'll find out what happened to the two million dollars

(Agree, by the way, the movie was quite well done)

Stormdancer

tapp tapp tapp tappatalk

One of my favories was "The Earth Abides" I think the authors last name is Young I read this many years ago. I loved Robert Parkers westerns I read them all. I'm an old man and have read many many books over the years. I can't remember them all. I have read most of Hemingway, Zane Grey,Louie Lamour, McMurtry,McCarthy is one of my favorites . I didn't like The Road. I have read the End Times series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry Jenkins twice 13 books . Please excuse my writing I never had any ed. just kinda stumble along.

Rich
    RKflorida likes this.

American Sniper was my last read, have all George Martin books on kindle, just haven't started yet.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links