Book thread - post your most recent read here

This is a discussion on Book thread - post your most recent read here within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Curious about the reading habits of the members. Let's see if this thread lasts. When you have completed a book, post it here if you ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Book thread - post your most recent read here

VIP Member

Curious about the reading habits of the members. Let's see if this thread lasts. When you have completed a book, post it here if you care to share, along with any thoughts. I'll start with the last several books I've read:

1) No Country for Old Men - by Cormac McCarthy (Kindle) After seeing the movie I was expecting something along the lines of "Blood Meridian."* All in all a satisfying read.
    2) Wool Omnibus & First Shift - Hugh Howrey - (Kindle) I'll count these two as one read. Howrey is a self-publishing phenom on the Kindle. Wool Omnibus reads like a Sci-Fi classic. Enjoyed it immensely.

Next candidates on my list:
    Maybe one of William Kennedy's Albany novels**; maybe The Orchard Keeper by McCarthy; or maybe the latest Zombie/Vampire fiction (I like "beach books" too, and Cronin's "The Twelve" will be on my Kindle when it is released in October, as will the latest in Bourne's Day By Day Armageddon series). I'll post again when I've read something.

* I'll admit that there were many passages in Blood Meridian that I did not understand, I'm not going to try to fake it.
    ** I only have these in paperback! ugh. How did I manage before Kindle?

"The Narrows" by Michael Connelly
    "Calico Joe" by John Grisham
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    "Five Years To Freedom" by Nick Rowe is what I am currently re-reading for about the fifth or sixth time in the last thirty-five years.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

"Fast & Fancy Revolver Shooting" by Col. Ed McGivern, "The Moral Compass" by Wm. J. Bennett & a biography of "Stonewall Jackson" by Lt.-Col. G.F.R. Henderson. McGivern is as fast as Miculek and tells you HOW!
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

The Harbinger, by Cahn, see my sig line.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

I just finished all of Joel C. Rosenberg's novels, the 5 Last Jihad ones and the 2 Twelfth Imam ones. They were excellent. Will finish Tom Clancy's "Air Cavalry" tonight. Last month I read the 37 Alex Archer novels - kinda OK. On the 6th reading of the Old testament, and have nearly completed the 7th reading of the New testament. The Bible reading will be ongoing until the Lord takes me home.
    RichB70 and tkruf like this.

Somewhere Near Lucky Ned Pepper's Hideout
    Fahrenheit 451.
    BigJon10125 likes this.

"Theodore Rex" by Edmund Morris, about Teddy Roosevelt's first term as President. there are some dry spots, but if you can get past them it is eminently entertaining to see how TR "played" the media of the day and used powers of persuasion to his advantage. Surprisingly, legal initiatives he took 110 years ago have molded industry and unions as we know them today.
    Hopyard likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

OD*
    In the last two months;

The Harbinger - Jonathan Cahn

The Trinity Game -Sean Chercover

The Pulse - Scott B. Williams

By Force of Patriots - Cameron Reddy

American Gunfight: The Plot to Kill Harry Truman--and the Shoot-out that Stopped It - Stephen Hunter, John Jr. Bainbridge

Up next;

Founders: A Novel of the Coming Collapse - James Wesley Rawles

Glock: The Rise of America's Gun - Paul M. Barrett

The Glass Rainbow: A Dave Robicheaux Novel - James Lee Burke

Creole Belle: A Dave Robicheaux Novel - James Lee Burke

Lights Out - David Crawford

One Second After - William R. Forstchen
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Senior Member Array GeorgiaDawg's Avatar
    Just finished Point of Impact by Stephen Hunter. Might read The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien again next, in preparation for the movie coming out in a month or two.
    "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast." - Ephesians 2:8-9

“The purpose of the law is not to prevent a future offense, but to punish the one actually committed” - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by OD* View Post
    In the last two months;

The Harbinger - Jonathan Cahn

The Trinity Game -Sean Chercover

The Pulse - Scott B. Williams

By Force of Patriots - Cameron Reddy

American Gunfight: The Plot to Kill Harry Truman--and the Shoot-out that Stopped It - Stephen Hunter, John Jr. Bainbridge

Up next;

Founders: A Novel of the Coming Collapse - James Wesley Rawles

Glock: The Rise of America's Gun - Paul M. Barrett

The Glass Rainbow: A Dave Robicheaux Novel - James Lee Burke

Creole Belle: A Dave Robicheaux Novel - James Lee Burke

Lights Out - David Crawford

One Second After - William R. Forstchen
    The reviews I read of Founders mostly say save your money... Even those who read Patriots... One Second After IS a good read, and quite plausible, from the community perspective, if not the cause of the calamity... You might also try The Road by Cormac McCarthy.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

OD*
    That's too bad about "Founders", but the books mentioned are already setting on the coffee table. I've heard quite a bit about "The Road" some good, some bad, seems very dark, no?
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

Went back through the Hunger Games trilogy recently. Back in the New testament again. Been out of it too long.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Almost done reading the world of mathematics by James R. Newman,
    4 volume set, I know not everyone’s cup of tea.
    Mors est libertas

MALAD JUSTED

Read the first three books of the John Carter of Mars series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Prepared me to be completely disappointed in the movie except for the effects. Read Cunningham's revolver book and Creek Stewart's bug out bag book. Plugging through TE Lawrence's Seven Pillars of Wisdom, taking a while.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links